ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: How Religious Are You?

How religious are you? Which option comes closest?

• I am very devout. God definitely exists and we should heed Him.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I am very devout in mind, but occasionally slip up in practice.

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • I'm sure there's something that could be called God. Less sure what he is or wants from us.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • There may have been a force that kicked off the universe but it doesn't seem active now.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • There might be a God. Or not. I don't think we can know. But it's possible.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I'm inclined to believe there is no God.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • I'm very confident there is no God.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Something else which I will explain.

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Brian suggested this in the Jesus Poll thread. Brian speculated that the vast majority of HROT posters are agnostics or atheists. I demurred.

I'm couching this more in terms of belief in God, but try to respond as best you can if that doesn't quite fit your view of things. And then tell us your perspective.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Brian suggested this in the Jesus Poll thread. Brian speculated that the vast majority of HROT posters are agnostics or atheists. I demurred.

I'm couching this more in terms of belief in God, but try to respond as best you can if that doesn't quite fit your view of things. And then tell us your perspective.

We need more votes, but Brian is winning so far!

God is not a "He." Or, rather,God isn't ONLY a "He." Not to me, anyway.

Religion seems to try and limit God to what amounts to a super-human parental figure that exists in sort of a parallel universe. The terminology insists upon creating what amounts to an ancient monarch that floats in the clouds... or something. Lots of reference to "kingdoms" and supreme power, etc.. It's very humanistic. Western religions depict God as some kind of cobbler, or creator of some sort, that "made the world" in his workshop.

And, organized religion likes to sell people on an entire system of behaviors and rituals that they dictate in order to control as many people as possible. Maybe not always maliciously, but it is still intentional and insidious. The worst part is that they convince people that we are all are somehow lacking God- whatever God may be. I think organized religion is making more people less religious as the generations pass. Bravo!

Last edited:
Reactions: Urohawk
Science and logic should rule the day. Faith divides us and prevents us from working together. It creates war and tribalism. The sooner we realize we have a 75 year run on this planet and that's all folks, the sooner we start treating each other better.

Also if God exists, he is a giant ahole. He lets kids get cancer. That alone proves he doesn't exist. If we are all his children he should at least protect the most innocent among us. I would trade my own life to save my children. I suspect the all powerful should do the same.

Finally, I can't stand the hypocracy of the believers. I went to Notre Dame football game this weekend. You would think there would be a high percentage of Christian people practising the way of JC. Some 20 year old kid was working for Jimmy John's and had a flat on campus. I took a business call for about 10 minutes and watched 100 or so people walk by. Not one stopped to help. Many walked by and made comments about how the sandwiches wouldn't be freaky fast. I hung up the phone and taught the kid how to change a tire. Why?, because I thought that guy must be having a sh!tty day. I've been there. We tried praying but the tire didn't change itself.

What I find odd is that the demographics of HROT (white, male, sports fans from the Midwest) appears to be far, far less religious than the U.S. average. Not at all what you would expect.

Science and logic should rule the day. Faith divides us and prevents us from working together. It creates war and tribalism. The sooner we realize we have a 75 year run on this planet and that's all folks, the sooner we start treating each other better.

Also if God exists, he is a giant ahole. He lets kids get cancer. That alone proves he doesn't exist. If we are all his children he should at least protect the most innocent among us. I would trade my own life to save my children. I suspect the all powerful should do the same.

Finally, I can't stand the hypocracy of the believers. I went to Notre Dame football game this weekend. You would think there would be a high percentage of Christian people practising the way of JC. Some 20 year old kid was working for Jimmy John's and had a flat on campus. I took a business call for about 10 minutes and watched 100 or so people walk by. Not one stopped to help. Many walked by and made comments about how the sandwiches wouldn't be freaky fast. I hung up the phone and taught the kid how to change a tire. Why?, because I thought that guy must be having a sh!tty day. I've been there. We tried praying but the tire didn't change itself.

The Lord helps those that help themselves. If thou shalt be perfect let the kid change his own tire and God will take it from there.

What I find odd is that the demographics of HROT (white, male, sports fans from the Midwest) appears to be far, far less religious than the U.S. average. Not at all what you would expect.

I'm not suprised. Religion is dying out in America.

Even among church goers, people actually trying to live the faith are a small percentage, in my opinion. Maybe 5-10%.

I'm not suprised. Religion is dying out in America.

Even among church goers, people actually trying to live the faith are a small percentage, in my opinion. Maybe 5-10%.

My anecdotal experience says that, but polls say otherwise.

Christians In Name Only (CINO) are a growing group
in America. They believe there is a God and own a Bible,
However, they do not attend worship services on Sunday &
do not have a faith-centered life during the week. It is like
they have taken out an eternal life insurance policy and
hope to cash it in on the day they die.

Christians In Name Only (CINO) are a growing group
in America. They believe there is a God and own a Bible,
However, they do not attend worship services on Sunday &
do not have a faith-centered life during the week. It is like
they have taken out an eternal life insurance policy and
hope to cash it in on the day they die.
Progress

"Christians" are often asked: "If you were arrested
for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence
to convict you?"

It is not enough to "talk the talk", but a Christian must
"walk the walk". This involves living a life that obeys
God's will. We are to love God with all of our heart,
soul, and mind. We are to love our neighbor as our
self.

To love your neighbor means assisting those who
need your help. It means giving blood at a local
Red Cross blood drive. It means donating food to
a homeless shelter. It means tutoring grade school
students who need help with reading and math.

to convict you?"

self.

Now this sounds Catholic, did Brian convert you? Walking the walk is way different from the saved by faith alone point you usually sell. I suspect the vapid nature of the faith alone philosophy is why there are so many CINOs. Protestantism is killing itself by taking actions out of the mix.

to convict you?"

self.

It does?
I think it means being tolerant, being forgiving and always being helpful. If one of the above trips your trigger, so be it......hardly a list of requirements though.
First and foremost (2)...Do unto others as you would have them do to you and You should love the Lord with all your heart, all your soul and all your mind...

The Christian is saved by faith alone. Ephesians 2:8,9
tells us, "It is by grace you have been saved, through faith,
and this not from yourselves. It is the gift of God, not by
works, so that no one can boast."

Out of a grateful heart for his or her salvation, the Christian
will want to love God and love their neighbor. Just as
Christ demonstrated unselfish love on the cross for us,
we will want to demonstrate unselfish love for others.

I'm of the opinion that faith based belief provides far more good to humanity that it does harm.

Doesn't matter if there is really something to have faith in or not.

And yes, there are exceptions to "good".
I wish we would all aim to practice secular humanism, and if you want to add some fairy tale stuff into the mix after that? Fine.

If religion could become a complimentary "morality" practice chances would be better that people wouldn't be able to use religion in all the wrong ways religion is used.

Secular humanism, like Jesus, before people stole him, mythologized him, to empower themselves.

Reactions: DanL53
Secular Humanism is based on the belief our world
should be man-centered. Christianity is the belief
that our existence should be Christ-centered.

We live in secular culture where selfish and proud
people dominate our society. The Me-First attitude
is not a healthy way to live.

Capitalism is all about secular humanism. There is no glory in God when one worships money first and foremost.....and that is what capitalism is all about. There are no worst hypocrits in this world than those who use God and his word to manipulate money from the masses to make their way thru life. Falwell, Robertson, Graham(s), Swaggert and Jim/Tammy Faye Baker come to mind.
I guess though, if you believe in the good of televangelists, you also approve of "managed care/privatized MedicAid".......

I wish we would all aim to practice secular humanism, and if you want to add some fairy tale stuff into the mix after that? Fine.

If religion could become a complimentary "morality" practice chances would be better that people wouldn't be able to use religion in all the wrong ways religion is used.

Secular humanism, like Jesus, before people stole him, mythologized him, to empower themselves.

Yeah, I'm looking outside the Christianity box and into the forest of faith based beliefs from Native American to the furthest, highest mountains in the Himalayas. And I still can't find a society that didn't include a belief system and from what I can tell, it did far more good than harm.

I also often ask myself if the "hostile takeover" of a belief isn't something that happens to our governments, our wealth, our class systems. And if so, many acts blamed on religion have a different causation behind the scenes...that is, mankind is full of jerks.

Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Jimmy Swaggart,
Jim and Tammy Faye Baker, Robert Schuller,
Joel Osteen are just part of the parade of greedy
charlatans who have preyed upon the TV viewer
to send them money. Their fabulous lifestyle is
an insult to the beliefs of genuine Christianity.

Swaggart got caught for his adultery, Baker jailed for
fleecing of stockholders, Schuller went bankrupt,
so there is some justice for these con-men.

Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Jimmy Swaggart,
Jim and Tammy Faye Baker, Robert Schuller,
Joel Osteen are just part of the parade of greedy
charlatans who have preyed upon the TV viewer
to send them money. Their fabulous lifestyle is
an insult to the beliefs of genuine Christianity.

Swaggart got caught for his adultery, Baker jailed for
fleecing of stockholders, Schuller went bankrupt,
so there is some justice for these con-men.

Sadly, not the justice their Lord suffered, however.

The Christian is saved by faith alone. Ephesians 2:8,9
tells us, "It is by grace you have been saved, through faith,
and this not from yourselves. It is the gift of God, not by
works, so that no one can boast."

Out of a grateful heart for his or her salvation, the Christian
will want to love God and love their neighbor. Just as
Christ demonstrated unselfish love on the cross for us,
we will want to demonstrate unselfish love for others.

Lute,

Let us not forget Romans 2:6-7:

"For [God] will render to every man according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life..."

Faith and works are both crucial for salvation.

Bottom line: The Protestant denominations are all man made. Protestants need to come home to the Church founded by Jesus Christ: The Roman Catholic Church.

Capitalism is all about secular humanism. There is no glory in God when one worships money first and foremost.....and that is what capitalism is all about. There are no worst hypocrits in this world than those who use God and his word to manipulate money from the masses to make their way thru life. Falwell, Robertson, Graham(s), Swaggert and Jim/Tammy Faye Baker come to mind.
I guess though, if you believe in the good of televangelists, you also approve of "managed care/privatized MedicAid".......
No, no, no. You and Lute are both in error. Secular Humanism is not a "me first" philosophy. It's an "us together" philosophy.

Reactions: Rudolph and Urohawk
Lute,

Let us not forget Romans 2:6-7:

"For [God] will render to every man according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life..."

Faith and works are both crucial for salvation.

Bottom line: The Protestant denominations are all man made. Protestants need to come home to the Church founded by Jesus Christ: The Roman Catholic Church.
I thought Jesus had some issues with The Romans...

No, no, no. You and Lute are both in error. Secular Humanism is not a "me first" philosophy. It's an "us together" philosophy.
Thank you. Secular humanism is arguably the antithesis of me-first capitalism.

Rather than making pathetic—yes, I find it pathetic—attempts to ascribe "good" to this or that deist religion, rather than weighing the relative scale of "good" for the existence of this or that deist religion, how about just recognize that doing good happens just as easily, if not more easily, if people just accept that we're all linked. We're all in this together. We're all accountable to and responsible for each other.

It's why we love team sports so damn much.

Snap out of it. Stop being hypnotized.

I don't really know where what I believe falls on the spectrum. I do believe in God. I don't believe God is a narcissist that commands we all worship him above all others. I believe that he wants us to love our fellow man and we are to put our own desires behind the needs of the whole. I believe if he created us to look, love, or live differently than is considered to be mainstream then he loves us just as he created us. I do believe he is disappointed when we screw up. But I don't think he ever stops loving us. And I believe if a "religion" tells you to hate, disassociate with, or marginalize another person it's not a real religion.

Thank you. Secular humanism is arguably the antithesis of me-first capitalism.

Rather than making pathetic—yes, I find it pathetic—attempts to ascribe "good" to this or that deist religion, rather than weighing the relative scale of "good" for the existence of this or that deist religion, how about just recognize that doing good happens just as easily, if not more easily, if people just accept that we're all linked. We're all in this together. We're all accountable to and responsible for each other.

It's why we love team sports so damn much.

Snap out of it. Stop being hypnotized.

I thought a major part of loving team sports so much was hating the opposing team? :)

Reactions: Urohawk

nice-try-commie.jpg

Secular humanists survive the apocalypse. When all of you are trying to reconcile why God destroyed your world, abandoned you, and wondering how you will atone for your sins, myself and other humanists will be gathering together trying to figure our how to survive on this rock.

Never been to a day of church in my life. I'm not religious, but I have no issues with people of faith. It's religions that I tend to abhor.

To me, there is a difference. Religions have murdered millions upon millions of people throughout history. People with true faith don't murder, they don't beg for money every Sunday morning on TV...

As Lee Marvin once said, "I don't love thy neighbor, I leave the bastard alone". What church (if any) he (my neighbor) chooses to go to, his business, not mine.

Yet, I am probably considered a con. Go figure.

Secular humanists survive the apocalypse. When all of you are trying to reconcile why God destroyed your world, abandoned you, and wondering how you will atone for your sins, myself and other humanists will be gathering together trying to figure our how to survive on this rock.

That's a good example of a faith based belief. Not based on evidence. ;)

The apocalypse is closer than many think:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT