ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Jimmy Carter or GHW Bush

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I really have no doubt how this poll will turn out. This is HROT, after all. But I thought it might be fun to post it anyway.

So here's the proposition.... Both of these former presidents are eligible for another term. We know their records in their first term. We know what they've done since.

So imagine that each is the person they are today, with all that experience plus being up-to-date with today's issues - PLUS each is as physically and mentally young and healthy as they were in their political prime.

The 2 major parties hate the available choices and each turns to their formerly successful standard-bearer.

Which candidate do you vote for? Which candidate do you think wins?

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:
I really have no doubt how this poll will turn out. This is HROT, after all. But I thought it might be fun to post it anyway.

So here's the proposition.... Both of these former presidents are eligible for another term. We know their records in their first term. We know what they've done since.

So imagine that each is the person they are today, with all that experience plus being up-to-date with today's issues - PLUS each is as physically and mentally young and healthy as they were in their political prime.

The 2 major parties hate the available choices and each turns to their formerly successful standard-bearer.

Does it really matter? GHW Bush is/was one of the true power players in international politics. He's tied in heavily with the elites. Carter doesn't have George HW Bushs resume, but he's kind of an idiot in many ways and would just go along with whatever plan the elites gave him.

This poll is of no value.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

Does it really matter? GHW Bush is/was one of the true power players in international politics. He's tied in heavily with the elites. Carter doesn't have George HW Bushs resume, but he's kind of an idiot in many ways and would just go along with whatever plan the elites gave him.

Thats interesting. For all the complaints I've normally associated with Carter, going along to get along isn't one I've heard.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:

Thats interesting. For all the complaints I've normally associated with Carter, going along to get along isn't one I've heard.
But, nonetheless, a reality. What Aegon stated is absolutely true. I much prefer Carter to a man like Bush. I think Carter had a conscience that was much less seared and I'm pretty impressed that someone with his nature ever made it to that office. It's a shame that the powers that influence the economy weren't in better shape during his tenure.

Americans are so dumb, they believe that the president is some kind of a wizard... or a king. I don't think the genetic influence of living under a king/monarchy for centuries was ever truly displaced from the predominantly European population that gained it's independence. That's why the 3 pillars of government we allegedly have always tilt toward the pillar that most resembles the Imperial side.

Originally posted by strummingram:

But, nonetheless, a reality. What Aegon stated is absolutely true. I much prefer Carter to a man like Bush. I think Carter had a conscience that was much less seared and I'm pretty impressed that someone with his nature ever made it to that office. It's a shame that the powers that influence the economy weren't in better shape during his tenure.

Americans are so dumb, they believe that the president is some kind of a wizard... or a king. I don't think the genetic influence of living under a king/monarchy for centuries was ever truly displaced from the predominantly European population that gained it's independence. That's why the 3 pillars of government we allegedly have always tilt toward the pillar that most resembles the Imperial side.
Great observations.

I voted for Carter in 76 but not in 80. I still like the man. He stood for high values then and still does. He had trouble living up to those high ideals once in office and, as you say, hit a patch that would have been tough for most occupants of that office to handle. But I don't doubt that his heart was in the right place. Sometimes that just isn't enough. But it is enough that I'd give him another try if those were the only choices on the ballot.

GHW Bush had an admirable career, that's for sure. But he always came a cross as a bit of a lightweight with no moral compass. While this may be overstating the case, he's the poster child why experience isn't the only thing we need to look for in a candidate - because he had that in spades. As does Hillary - which should perhaps give some of her supporters pause.

Great observations.

I voted for Carter in 76 but not in 80. I still like the man. He stood for high values then and still does. He had trouble living up to those high ideals once in office and, as you say, hit a patch that would have been tough for most occupants of that office to handle. But I don't doubt that his heart was in the right place. Sometimes that just isn't enough. But it is enough that I'd give him another try if those were the only choices on the ballot.

GHW Bush had an admirable career, that's for sure. But he always came a cross as a bit of a lightweight with no moral compass. While this may be overstating the case, he's the poster child why experience isn't the only thing we need to look for in a candidate - because he had that in spades. As does Hillary - which should perhaps give some of her supporters pause.
You must have missed the most important point about the wizard. Maybe it's too late for you.

Americans need a different kind of ballot. Humanity, in general, needs a ballot without names/labels and replaced with ballots with issues. As liberal as most of the alleged-liberals on this board claim to be, they don't seem to realize that they aren't changing the country and the world to reflect these liberal values by voting for names and labels. The same goes for so-called "conservatives."

Libs voted for Carter even though they thought he would lose......is a loser...... that's loyalty. Telling.....they vote for losers....regardless.
jimmy-obama.jpg

Great observations.

I agree that Carter is a good guy and that he did hit a rough patch that would be hard for any POTUS to withstand.

GHW was not a lightweight. He might have seemed like one compared to Reagan, most notably due to that "vision thing". He was also not a very dynamic, commanding speaker.

GHW was a pragmatic politician who knew how to do deals.

His downfall though, was doing the deal to increase taxes, which ultimately hurt the economy and caused his re-election defeat. He also faces an excellent candidate in Clinton. Probably the best democrat candidate since FDR at the time.

Originally posted by sijoint:

Libs voted for Carter even though they thought he would lose......is a loser...... that's loyalty. Telling.....they vote for losers....regardless.
jimmy-obama.jpg

No surprise you find Carter a loser. He was a Navy man and a submariner. But Reagan did make a good narrator selling war bonds.

Carter long dreamed of attending the [5]

Originally posted by wildcatdad:

jimmy-obama.jpg

No surprise you find Carter a loser. He was a Navy man and a submariner. But Reagan did make a good narrator selling war bonds.

wildcatdad you make some good points about Carter. Nobody should doubt his patriotism or intelligence- graduation from the Naval Academy is nothing to sneeze at. He brokered the Israel-Egypt peace deal, which was almost unthinkable and ended up getting Anwar Sadat killed. The economy hurt him as it does all presidents in an economic downturn. But the Iran hostage crisis all but finished his re-election chances. To be fair, Jimmy was the first Democrat to run for president post-Watergate and he won by a narrow margin.

Bush also served his country, flew combat missions in World War II and was damn lucky to survive being shot down in the Pacific. He knew more of the Washington political game and was probably less naïve than Carter. Like Jimmy he is a good man who was hurt by economic problems in the country.

Both men faced very charismatic challengers for the Oval Office. Grumpy voters tend to lean toward the opposition anyway.

The poll should have been. The BHO that ran in 2008 and the one who ran in 2012. Now that would be a contrast

Originally posted by rchawk:
Originally posted by wildcatdad:

jimmy-obama.jpg

wildcatdad you make some good points about Carter. Nobody should doubt his patriotism or intelligence- graduation from the Naval Academy is nothing to sneeze at. He brokered the Israel-Egypt peace deal, which was almost unthinkable and ended up getting Anwar Sadat killed. The economy hurt him as it does all presidents in an economic downturn. But the Iran hostage crisis all but finished his re-election chances. To be fair, Jimmy was the first Democrat to run for president post-Watergate and he won by a narrow margin.

Bush also served his country, flew combat missions in World War II and was damn lucky to survive being shot down in the Pacific. He knew more of the Washington political game and was probably less naïve than Carter. Like Jimmy he is a good man who was hurt by economic problems in the country.

Both men faced very charismatic challengers for the Oval Office. Grumpy voters tend to lean toward the opposition anyway.
No need to educate me on Jimmy Carter. I've been to Plains, met he and ?Rosalyn......even drank some Billy Beer (skunky). There are a few things named after him around Atlanta, but the people don't think much of him.
He was a worthless President........only to be outdone by Obama. Carter says Obama is an incompetent loser.
3dsmile.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/6 10:34 PM by sijoint

Carter: Obama Is An Incompetent Loser

Originally posted by Arbitr8:

Carter is the 2nd worst President to come along yet.

Of course Berries is the worse.
I think you meant "worst." No big deal, you probably didn't benefit from an excellent Iowa education.

Obama, probably not. Not good for sure. Anybody who has ever opened up a history book, or a book, knows that James Buchanan was the worst president ever. He was a Democrat. Runner-up is a good topic for debate, I will nominate Republican Warren G. Harding.

They can't all be Lincoln. Or Roosevelt or Jefferson or Washington. Often you get Obama., or Grant.

Originally posted by rchawk:

Originally posted by Arbitr8:

Carter is the 2nd worst President to come along yet.

Of course Berries is the worse.
I think you meant "worst." No big deal, you probably didn't benefit from an excellent Iowa education.

Obama, probably not. Not good for sure. Anybody who has ever opened up a history book, or a book, knows that James Buchanan was the worst president ever. He was a Democrat. Runner-up is a good topic for debate, I will nominate Republican Warren G. Harding.

They can't all be Lincoln. Or Roosevelt or Jefferson or Washington. Often you get Obama., or Grant.
No way

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT