ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Should Kirk retire after this season?

Should Kirk retire after the 2024 season?

• Total voters
The wise course, albeit unlikely, would be for KF to turn over virtually total control to his coordinators. Parker is extremely qualified and Lester more in tune with the offensive schemes of today. KF is great at culture and leadership building. Each can play to their strength. So structured, KF's extremely cautious nature will no longer be a problem. I love KF and what he has done for so many years... but times change and successful people and programs adapt. This is not happening in Iowa City. Anything less than 9-3 this year will be absolute proof! ( I hope all those veteran players who stuck around for an extra year to do something great, have the character to press on for what remains possible... unburdened by what has gone before!

The wise course, albeit unlikely, would be for KF to turn over virtually total control to his coordinators. Parker is extremely qualified and Lester more in tune with the offensive schemes of today. KF is great at culture and leadership building. Each can play to their strength. So structured, KF's extremely cautious nature will no longer be a problem. I love KF and what he has done for so many years... but times change and successful people and programs adapt. This is not happening in Iowa City. Anything less than 9-3 this year will be absolute proof! ( I hope all those veteran players who stuck around for an extra year to do something great, have the character to press on for what remains possible... unburdened by what has gone before!
I'd be fine with Kirk staying if he gave started to let his coordinators play the way they want to. It's like he lost his balls. He's so conservative in his choices, it sucks all the fun out of the game and puts his team at a disadvantage.

I think when a coach has 3 straight seasons of fans begging them to retire, he should probably retire.

Which “group” of fans are you referring to though? There are folks in any fanbase who aren’t ever satisfied. There’s a vocal group of Clemson fans begging for Dabo to move on or be fired. And has been for some time. Does that seem fair or wise? Kirk has obviously had a disastrous stretch of results against ranked teams lately. He’s not exactly losing a high percentage of games though. It’s quite the opposite. If the Hawks tank this season, he may retire. If don’t see him leaving either way though. And I don’t see the team tanking.

Which “group” of fans are you referring to though? There are folks in any fanbase who aren’t ever satisfied. There’s a vocal group of Clemson fans begging for Dabo to move on or be fired. And has been for some time. Does that seem fair or wise? Kirk has obviously had a disastrous stretch of results against ranked teams lately. He’s not exactly losing a high percentage of games though. It’s quite the opposite. If the Hawks tank this season, he may retire. If don’t see him leaving either way though. And I don’t see the team tanking.
Dabo won Titles....Kirk barely survived big ten West

I voted yes, completely fine with the possibility of us taking a step back. I won’t pine for the days of Kirk because I am CURRENTLY pining for what he once did, and it feels like that was a long time ago.

So, maybe someone else can get there.

Reminds me of Hayden and Bobby Bowden who hung on too long. Really got ugly by the time the end came.

It's pretty clear through his actions and words that Kirk doesn't think much of Iowa fans and that he thinks he has already delivered way more than what they deserve so everyone should shut up and be happy with whatever else happens between now and when he decides to retire. He and his cult feels he has earned that right.

He's not getting fired and I doubt he retires with all that money still on the table. We will see. I will just keep watching other games that aren't painful to watch and check the Iowa score and stats periodically. Not wasting any more time on it

Voted yes. Would have voted "Please just effing go!" if it was an option.

In all brutal honesty, KF probably should have either retired or sought another job after the 2010 Orange Bowl win vs Georgia Tech .....

Clemson fans are right to be worried about Dabo going forward. that program is no where near being close to competing for NCs now.

So let me ask you something. Kirk is 69 or 70. How many people do you know in any profession still doing their best work at that age? I’d venture to say not many. College football is a sport where we let certain guys hang around forever because they’ve done so and so over the years. Would you say he’s at the top of his game? Because he’s clearly not. While we’re still competitive against the rank and file our history being pretty competitive against the top teams has changed. Top teams used to at least fear an Iowa upset. That’s not happening now. Why should it be his choice at this point? Buy him out and let’s move on.

^^THIS^^ Thank you!

So let me ask you something. Kirk is 69 or 70. How many people do you know in any profession still doing their best work at that age? I’d venture to say not many. College football is a sport where we let certain guys hang around forever because they’ve done so and so over the years. Would you say he’s at the top of his game? Because he’s clearly not. While we’re still competitive against the rank and file our history being pretty competitive against the top teams has changed. Top teams used to at least fear an Iowa upset. That’s not happening now. Why should it be his choice at this point? Buy him out and let’s move on.
This year is pivotal in answering the assertion, “…still competitive against the rank and file.” However, I appreciate the spirit of your post. There are plenty of seasoned leaders that do great work, because they hire people smarter than them, and trust them. Unfortunately, there are also seasoned leaders that do not, or profess they do in the face of diminishing returns.

If we have a good season, much faith will be restored. If not, we know it’s time. Regardless, future planning needs to continue accordingly, or we indeed will be caught with our pants down, and will have to endure a greater expense to hire people to pull them back up for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT