Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Tesla

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Subaru

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • Something else...

Votes: 44 22.7%

• Total voters
Bought a new Malibu in ‘17. As a commuter, I appreciate the 30 mpg on highway. Has been reasonable, reliable and low maintenance. Couldn’t be more satisfied with its purpose. Can haul the kids to practices and handles well in the winter.

If you're a mechanic, maybe.

Replaced the rear springs on my 2002 BMW 325i this week. Did the rear brakes a couple weeks ago. Then I had to fix up one of the sunroof water drain hoses, which had clogged/froze up during winter - a lot of disassembly of the A pillar and headliner - but a $0 fix that would have been a couple hundred in labor (if not more) at a shop. Then a couple months ago it needed new intake boots - about an hour of work and $50 in parts.

In January on my '06 X5, I did rear brakes. Then I replaced both xenon HID headlight lamps/igniters - a whole lot of fiddly upside down or blind "by feel" disassembly to get access to them, maybe 2 hours work total.

All surprisingly easy and inexpensive to do when compared to having a shop do the work. The stuff I can do, I do on both my older BMW's yet they're both still quite complicated vehicles all things considered. Saved me thousands upon thousands of $ through the years doing most repairs myself. I have zero automobile repair training - everything I just described above I figured out how to do on Youtube.

But I don't believe I'll ever own one newer than these two. They have sort of over-engineered them to where your average driveway mechanic like me simply cannot work on them without a thousand dollars of scanning tools - while half the mechanical engine issues that normally can be done by the owner (say an alternator, water pump, radiator, etc) you more or less have to disassemble half the damn engine bay just to get at the part that needs replacing.

I know one can say that about most modern vehicles, say 10 years or newer...but German carmakers have raised it to ridiculous levels in recent years.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
I know. Should this be “What’s your car make, poors?”

First of all, "Something else" is winning the poll, which must be the European car segment.

Secondly, really surprised how many HROT must own Eurocars...

Lastly, I'm TOTALLY surprised that Subaru has zero votes with all the liberals on this board.

I drive a soft top Jeep Wrangler. It gets terrible gas mileage, has no storage area, has lousy site lines, and rides rough on the open highway. But I love it, it is the 2nd most fun vehicle to drive that I have owned.

First of all, "Something else" is winning the poll, which must be the European car segment.

Secondly, really surprised how many HROT must own Eurocars...

Lastly, I'm TOTALLY surprised that Subaru has zero votes with all the liberals on this board.

The most fun vehicle I ever drove was a Subaru XT Coupe, Turbo, that I bought after I graduated and got a job. It was badass.

Reactions: The Tradition
I have 3 cars so voted "something else" (Acura RDX - the main car). I love my 2007 Honda Pilot with 240K miles and we also have a 2013 Nissan Rogue. About to get rid of the RDX in the next year. Seriously consider the Volvo CX60 (another "something else" ;-)).

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
I drive a soft top Jeep Wrangler. It gets terrible gas mileage, has no storage area, has lousy site lines, and rides rough on the open highway. But I love it, it is the 2nd most fun vehicle to drive that I have owned.
This.

Turns like a bus. Handles like a tank. And God help me if I get it up to 80. But I love it.

Reactions: SeaPA
I have an older model Mercedes that I drive on an every-day basis.

You tube seems able to get me through the handful of minor repairs that I have run into. Mainly, it has been a solid trouble-free car. It has about 100,000 miles and I anticipate getting another 50-75,000. None of my Cadillacs ever went much past 100,000 and I finally decided to give up on that brand, concluding that it was junk.

I anticipate staying with this brand since they are high quality cars that depreciate rapidly, making them undervalued in a sense in the used car market.

Reactions: ghost80
Honda x 2. Crv for her, Ridgeline for me. In the past I have owned Fords, Chevies, AMC, Pontiac, Mazda, Toyota, and BMW 5 series. My Ridgeline is the best pickup I have owned and the CRV is super reliable. The BMW was the most fun to drive, the Avalon the most comfortable ride.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT