ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Which Gun Control Measures Do You Support?

Check all gun control measures you support

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Using the list from post #4 of this thread

Obviously there could be others, but this is a decent list. Feel free to suggest additional or alternative measures.

FTwrO8mWIAIqSpu

Reactions: 3 and Out on D
4/6 I didn’t mandate a safe or ban high capacity rifles. Gun safes are tipping hazards if not properly anchored.

I’m a little lost on the “universal back ground check” discussion. I googled the definition and it is basically meaning to have the private sales background check done as well.

What will that do to stop any of these school shootings? Absolutely nothing. The kids are buying them from stores and having a back ground check done.

I would raise the age to purchase a semi automatic firearm to 21.

I would eliminate all magazines over 10 rounds.

I would love to say that red flag laws will do something but it has been proven with the Buffalo shooting that it actually takes a human who cares enough to raise the red flag.

Reactions: ICHerky
This statement of the mental health restriction is better than what was being talked about a couple of years back - when someone who merely asked his GP about depression or anxiety could be denied his 2A rights - but it's still problematic. There's no adjudication process. What counts as dangerous? What are the qualifications for knowing when someone is dangerous?

Because their are plenty of rifles and pistols that can also lay down a lot of rounds that aren’t all sporty looking. There are also plenty of magazine fed shotguns.
Yeah, but it's a start.

Plus, don't you think the "cool" factor plays into the fantasies of those who go on shooting sprees?

I’m a little lost on the “universal back ground check” discussion. I googled the definition and it is basically meaning to have the private sales background check done as well.

What will that do to stop any of these school shootings? Absolutely nothing. The kids are buying them from stores and having a back ground check done.

I would raise the age to purchase a semi automatic firearm to 21.

I would eliminate all magazines over 10 rounds.

I would love to say that red flag laws will do something but it has been proven with the Buffalo shooting that it actually takes a human who cares enough to raise the red flag.

I don’t think the problem is guns. I think it is the damage done on the brains of citizens by our consumer system and people lost along the way.

Yeah, but it's a start.

Plus, don't you think the "cool" factor plays into the fantasies of those who go on shooting sprees?

Maybe? Kind of sounds like a gateway drug argument in a way. I think by the time you get to the would be mass murderer level the damage was going to be done anyway.

I wonder what makes mass murder the new go to over the murder/suicide or just suicide route. I wonder if there is any connection between being a perpetual war nation and our mass murders domestically.

This statement of the mental health restriction is better than what was being talked about a couple of years back - when someone who merely asked his GP about depression or anxiety could be denied his 2A rights - but it's still problematic. There's no adjudication process. What counts as dangerous? What are the qualifications for knowing when someone is dangerous?
There should be a notification requirement and an appeal process at minimum, imo. Restrictions should also be based on pre-determined published criteria so it is consistently applied.

All of them, and add insurance for each gun you own, along with required training.
The insurance question is interesting. I wonder how many gun owners who seldom use their guns would get rid of some or all of their arsenal? I certainly would.

If we had such laws, I wonder what the rates would be for different types of guns? I mean if I'm an insurance company and I'm on the hook for gun misuse, I'm definitely going to charge more for a Bushmaster than for a single shot squirrel gun.

Over time, this would be a sort-of free market way to identify the more problematic weapons.

This is an interesting topic especially because I am more conservative on it than a lot of my stances, but there is a large majority of the republican posters on here that seem very willing to make some changes. The problem hardly seems to be on lost citizens and more on Citizens United and dark money in politics.

This is an interesting topic especially because I am more conservative on it than a lot of my stances, but there is a large majority of the republican posters on here that seem very willing to make some changes. The problem hardly seems to be on lost citizens and more on Citizens United and dark money in politics.
The cons are “pro-life” until something like this happens. Same thing with social issues, and the George Floyd situation. There’s a correlation between the “pro-life” crowd and independent thinking ability.

Reactions: Moral
The insurance question is interesting. I wonder how many gun owners who seldom use their guns would get rid of some or all of their arsenal? I certainly would.

If we had such laws, I wonder what the rates would be for different types of guns? I mean if I'm an insurance company and I'm on the hook for gun misuse, I'm definitely going to charge more for a Bushmaster than for a single shot squirrel gun.

Over time, this would be a sort-of free market way to identify the more problematic weapons.
It might also limit personal arsenal size as well as type. The problem might be finding companies which would actually sell this type of insurance.

The cons are “pro-life” until something like this happens. Same thing with social issues, and the George Floyd situation. There’s a correlation between the “pro-life” crowd and independent thinking ability.

That’s tea.

As a conservative, I historically have been in the “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” mindset.

The youth between ages 16-21 honestly scare me. I think they need that extra time to mature and frankly experience some life. When you start looking at the school shootings the past 5 years, they are all fitting the same mold.

A small change like this can only help.

Here I was thinking we could actually have a discussion without labels. Most people have a variety of thought and are neither "con" nor "prog", yet we insist on boxing them in.

I wonder if there is any connection between being a perpetual war nation and our mass murders domestically.
I agree.

I also wonder how the glorification of violence and vigilanteism in our media impacts or drives these problems. I'm inclined to point to the era of Rambo and Death Wish as a critical turning point in the way Americans began to accept and even cheer these behaviors.

Reactions: Moral
I'm curious why more people aren't voting for the database option. I mean it's still pretty popular, but not at the level of background checks or even the mental health option.

If you are one who rejected the database option, would you also reject state-level data bases? I mean is it that you reject the database part or is it that you reject the federal part?

I agree.

I also wonder how the glorification of violence and vigilanteism in our media impacts or drives these problems. I'm inclined to point to the era of Rambo and Death Wish as a critical turning point in the way Americans began to accept and even cheer these behaviors.
We are clearly a toxic culture, how much more than other countries might be hard to compare, and how all that relates to guns. I do know the amount of guns in the United States is concerning.

And there will always be doctors who, for a price, will certify that an individual is capable of owning a firearm. Much like all the docs who used to sign off on medical marijuana for 22 year olds with “unspecified back pain.”

I agree.

It would be interesting to follow up with one of the mass murderers on why they picked their method. In my head, I decided it was mostly a suicide plan that also obtains them infamy. Because of their horrendous actions thousands of people will read their manifestos, sympathize with them, and give them voice even after that brutality, keeping them alive in history.

It might also limit personal arsenal size as well as type. The problem might be finding companies which would actually sell this type of insurance.
Yep. That's why I called it a sort-of free market approach. I mean the requirement part isn't free market but the costs would be set by the free market.

I think gun violence is too big a problem to leave it entirely to the market, but I would be really interested to see how things would play out if we went this route.

Reactions: dandh
Most people are neither. The constructs are too ill-defined to be useful, and the stereotypes associated with each get in the way of open discourse, imo. Assigning people to teams gives them an artificial reason to disagree.

Reactions: ICHerky
Most people are neither. The constructs are too ill-defined to be useful, and the stereotypes associated with each get in the way of open discourse, imo. Assigning people to teams gives them an artificial reason to disagree.
Then why are we being held hostage by 10 Senators who have an R by their name, who don’t have the guts to vote for change.

I'll admit, I added one to the list I've posted here many times.

Full, 100% background check on all sales (require every jurisdiction in the country to accurately maintain their entries)

Require gun handling, firing, safety and storage training, to include all forms of pistols, rifles and shotguns.

Require licensing, want a gun, get a license prior to buying (along with the training).

Register every firearm and accessory. You can do it at the time of the background check.

<added>
Ban high capacity magazines. Outside of combat, no one needs more than 7-8 rounds for a pistol, 10 for a rifle. If you can't kill what you're firing at in that amount of rounds, you shouldn't be carrying a firearm.

As for assault weapons, put an additional tax on any semi-automatic, center fire rifle similar to the tax on full autos. But don't ban them.

I do have some other thoughts, but this list would suffice for now. And no, I wouldn't target mass shootings, just keeping fire arms out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT