ADVERTISEMENT

Biden administration proposes regulation to eliminate 'gun show loophole'

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
WASHINGTON — The Biden administration announced Thursday that it is proposing a rule to eliminate the so-called gun show loophole — one of the biggest attempts to regulate the sale of firearms in years.

The administration said that new language in a law passed last year by Congress after the Uvalde school shooting is empowering it to take the action, though Second Amendment activists are likely to challenge the move in court.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is proposing a regulation that would essentially say that anyone who deals in firearms for profit must get a federal license — and conduct criminal background checks — regardless of whether they sell the guns in brick-and-mortar stores, gun shows, flea markets or on the internet. The new rule will go through the federal rulemaking process.

Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement Thursday that the move is a result of the bipartisan law passed by Congress last year.

“The Bipartisan Safer Communities Act was passed by Congress to reduce gun violence, including by expanding the background checks that keep guns out of the hands of criminals,” he said. “This proposed rule implements Congress’s mandate to expand the definition of who must obtain a license and conduct a background check before selling firearms.”

AR15 rifles are displayed for sale at a gun show (Apu Gomes / AFP via Getty Images file)

AR15 rifles are displayed for sale at a gun show (Apu Gomes / AFP via Getty Images file)
The "gun show loophole" has been cited for years as a major hole in the federal background check system, allowing a vast number of private sales without background checks. The ATF currently licenses about 80,000 brick-and-mortar gun dealers, but gun sales are increasingly taking place outside that system, free of background checks.

Earlier this year, Biden signed an executive order designed to expand background checks. It directed Garland to clarify the statutory definition of who is “engaged in the business” of selling firearms, an authority an administration official said was detailed in the bipartisan gun law.

NBC News reported last year about some of the provisions of the law that led to Thursday's proposed rule. At the time, however, sources close to the negotiations behind the legislation tempered expectations that it could close the gun show loophole or have a significant effect on the sale of guns online, although they hoped it would bolster enforcement and oversight of the firearms market.

The sources said they had in mind the shooter in Midland-Odessa, Texas, who killed eight people in 2019 with a gun that he bought through a private sale. He had previously failed a background check from a licensed gun seller and was not allowed to buy a weapon.

Biden touted the bipartisan legislation in June, a year after he signed it into law, saying that it was already saving lives.

The president said the law has allowed the Justice Department to run enhanced background checks through the FBI on adults under 21 who try to buy firearms. It has also provided funding to states to expand the so-called red flag laws that allow courts to temporarily remove firearms from people deemed a danger to themselves or others. And it has provided money to states to boost mental health services, especially for young people. Biden also noted that the law closed the so-called boyfriend loophole by keeping guns away from unmarried dating partners convicted of abuse.

Biden has long made it a priority to enact policies focused on curbing gun violence. He and then-President Barack Obama attempted to push Congress to pass such measures, and the closest it came was in 2013, a few months after the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The Senate fell six votes short of advancing a bill by Pat Toomey, R-Pa., and Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., that would have required background checks in all commercial gun sales.

Since becoming president, while still pressuring Congress to pass legislation, Biden has also used his executive authority to try to reduce gun violence, although he faces limits. He has repeatedly called on lawmakers to pass another assault weapons ban in the wake of several mass shootings.

There's little chance of such a measure passing through both chambers of Congress. Republicans narrowly control the House, and Democrats have a thin majority in the Senate, meaning they would need substantial Republican support to overcome a filibuster.

ATF already has a definition for who is a FFD. FFD's are already required to conduct background checks no matter where a sale takes place.

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
From 2017 to 2021, 70% of crime guns traced by the ATF were obtained from a dealer, which is defined by law as anyone in the business of selling or repairing firearms. Dealers can be retail businesses or wholesale suppliers.

Twenty-three percent of crime guns were acquired from a pawnbroker. A pawnbroker offers a quick loan in exchange for a valuable such as jewelry or a gun. If the borrower can't repay on time, the pawnbroker keeps the item. As a result, pawn shops often have guns for sale at lower prices.

Six percent of crime guns were bought from a gun manufacturer.

3%, of the 1.5 million crime guns traced by the ATF between 2017 to 2021 were obtained at gun shows.

I'm glad to see we are attacking the problem here!

From 2017 to 2021, 70% of crime guns traced by the ATF were obtained from a dealer, which is defined by law as anyone in the business of selling or repairing firearms. Dealers can be retail businesses or wholesale suppliers.

Twenty-three percent of crime guns were acquired from a pawnbroker. A pawnbroker offers a quick loan in exchange for a valuable such as jewelry or a gun. If the borrower can't repay on time, the pawnbroker keeps the item. As a result, pawn shops often have guns for sale at lower prices.

3%, of the 1.5 million crime guns traced by the ATF between 2017 to 2021 were obtained at gun shows.

I don't think the article is suggesting we're attacking the larger problem, in fact it says it is trying to close a loophole that has allowed for some people to slip through the cracks. Why is this a problem?

I haven’t checked to see if your data is accurate, but if it is then 3% of 1.5 million is 45,000 gun crimes. Maybe a drop in the bucket, but it’s a step in the right direction and I’m sure a portion of those 45,000 were sales to people who would not have qualified to purchase a gun through brick and mortar stores. Why is a small good step a problem - or are you one of the nut cases that think we shouldn’t have any background checks for guns?

• Haha

Try anything because current regulation isn’t working. What do you propose?

While I get the point, I hate the term "gun show loophole". NICS checks should be required for all purchases, regardless if the seller/buyer are FFL holders or not. It shouldn't matter if the sale is made at a gun show or a living room or back alley.

This is a smart, measured step, and one that Dems should run on. It's popular with most Americans. It's the gun cultists who oppose all common sense attempts to control violence in America that will derail this. Make MMM and Mom's For Liberty Hinson run on why they aren't trying to keep kids safe.

• Haha
Way to go Joe! You're responding to the overwhelming will of the American people. Over 80% of all adult Americans support mandatory background checks for all firearm sales and transfers. Additionally, over 70% of adult Americans support requiring gun owners to obtain a license and register their firearms similar to the process of owning an automobile.

I don't think the article is suggesting we're attacking the larger problem, in fact it says it is trying to close a loophole that has allowed for some people to slip through the cracks. Why is this a problem?
Exactly. This isn't the cure, but yet another step in the right direction. ...nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler

Got dam Joe Biden trying to stop 45,000 gun crimes. Let’s go Brandon.

It's the same solution
I haven’t checked to see if your data is accurate, but if it is then 3% of 1.5 million is 45,000 gun crimes. Maybe a drop in the bucket, but it’s a step in the right direction and I’m sure a portion of those 45,000 were sales to people who would not have qualified to purchase a gun through brick and mortar stores. Why is a small good step a problem - or are you one of the nut cases that think we shouldn’t have any background checks for guns?
I do believe in background checks, can you tell me the state that doesn't require them before a public sector purchase?

I guess I don't understand not attacking a problem where the majority of the problem exists so you can focus on the most fringe part of the issue.

That's like towing your car to the mechanic because it won't start and getting a tire rotation instead of putting in a new alternator.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT