ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Who is Fran almost guaranteeing that's coming for 2015?

All reports point to the staff shying away from Ike, Lovett may not qualify academically, Caleb "Big Sauce" Swanigan is a top 10 recruit with all the blue bloods offering so the chances of him coming to Iowa are slim to none. That leaves Christian Williams who doesn't have a Power 5 conference offer yet according to Rivals. It says he's 6'5" and his video shows okay handles and quickness. I'd think the staff has something else up their sleeve.

I think the most likely scenario is some sort of transfer, be it grad or traditional. Most of the good JUCOs are signed/committed already, Lovett and Noskowiak are likely to end up elsewhere (if Lovett even qualifies), Swanigan isn't coming to Iowa unless a major miracle happens and as has been alluded to, Williams may not be high major caliber.

Honestly, I'd be good with taking a grad transfer with one and a traditional transfer (someone who would sit a year and have 2-3 left after that) with the other. Best case, the grad transfer is a White clone, an aggressive stretch 4 and the traditional one would be a ball handler that's either a PG or combo guard. That way, they fill a need next year (the stretch 4), fill a need for the future (the PG/Combo) and have an extra scholarship for 2016 (the four current and the grad transfer's). Go with Pemsl, hopefully add Santos, add two of Rakocevic/Cook/Ivanauskas (hey, it's my wish list) and a PG (Moore is looking quite possible).

Don't worry about a traditional C, throw waves of 6'8-6'10 guys at them defensively and spread the court offensively. In the above scenario, they'd be adding 4 guys 6'8-6'10. If that's not enough to defend 80% of the bigs in the B1G then nothing will be.

I'll guess, other.

I have no inside info but what if Nick Baer has earned a scholarship?
smile.r191677.gif
Has anyone measured and weighed him lately?

Give me the good news, he's grown two inches and gained twenty pounds, right!?!? If that happened I firmly believe we would have a four year starter on our hands.

since not having a big killed Indiana, O$U and hurt both Nebraska and Illinois, IA needs a big. to many times I have heard about teams not having a inside game as the reason of teams losing.

strange other than posters saying that the staff has cooled on Ike, I still can't find a credible source even inferring this. until he commits to someone else, he still is a option just like Swanigan is till a option although there are some totally against that Idea. by saying IA as no chance or slim and none.

IIRC Tom said that the staff has cooled on Ike

as have other posters in the know. I don't know that there's any reason why. I would have liked to have him but as usual, in Fran I trust. Hope he can surprise us like when he brought in Cartwright. No one saw that coming and he did very well for us.

I am guessing a transfer will be in the works. I think Fran is looking at a PG transfer (sits out next year) and then gets the following year to do his damage as a possibility.

OR

One thing I have noticed is in some of these smaller conferences (not saying these kids are elite) by any means, but there is some good guard play. Some of these kids could step into the Power 5 conferences and hold their own. Maybe Fran has his eyes on someone at a smaller school who qualifies under the Russell Wilson/Deandre Kane rule. Finishes in 3 years and has an extra year to play.

Regardless hopefully this little run and making the tournament will open some eyes. IF we can make a run in the tourney, then you will see kids take notice and start looking at Iowa. UNI got their starting PG out of Texas after their sweet 16 run. So being successful in the tourney will help with recruiting. But also making it helps a little.

Ike probably has potential but he still seems at least a year away from contributing anything to a D1, let alone a B1G, program. He's averaging only 6 minutes a game, despite being a starter. Granted, JUCO ball is different because they play a ton of guys and it's very high scoring. And to be fair, Ike has made use of his minutes, averaging 7 points, 7 boards, and 1 block, but 3 fouls (in 6 min/game?!?!). But people who are paying subscribers have said the staff has cooled on Ike and I believe them. At this point, if we made a run in the NCAA and really opened some players' eyes, taking Ike would feel somewhat like we're settling. JMO

This post was edited on 3/10 9:55 AM by StormHawk42

Fran can offer a starting position to Swanigan, finishing in a tie for 3rd in the BT and having 2 1st Team All BT to show Swanigan. I am beginning to think some of you DON'T want Fran to get Swanigan with your negative attitude toward Swanigan every time his name is mentioned.

same with Ike, its OH the staff has cooled on him, there are few that seem against the idea that Fran may be still recruiting Ike.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

Fran can offer a starting position to Swanigan, finishing in a tie for 3rd in the BT and having 2 1st Team All BT to show Swanigan. I am beginning to think some of you DON'T want Fran to get Swanigan with your negative attitude toward Swanigan every time his name is mentioned.

same with Ike, its OH the staff has cooled on him, there are few that seem against the idea that Fran may be still recruiting Ike.
Yes we all want Swanigan. But we're saying the chances aren't great. He's got some really good offers so we won't be surprised if he goes somewhere else.

Tom has stated that the staff has cooled on Ike. So is that not credible enough? Or are you more knowledgable than him?

Fran would not tell a recruit come here and you start. Got to earn it he has preached that over and over since he's been here. Reason Hutton liked Fran is when he came here he said if you earn the time he will play you no matter your class after he committed a year ago after Illinois game.

People want Swanigan but being realistic chances aren't very good but everyone would take him in a heartbeat. For once be nice if you stopped over reacting and being a drama queen with every one of your post.

since not having a big killed Indiana, O$U and hurt both Nebraska and Illinois, IA needs a big. to many times I have heard about teams not having a inside game as the reason of teams losing.

strange other than posters saying that the staff has cooled on Ike, I still can't find a credible source even inferring this. until he commits to someone else, he still is a option just like Swanigan is till a option although there are some totally against that Idea. by saying IA as no chance or slim and none.
3 things.

Not having a big isn't what killed those teams you listed. Hell, three of the four were starting true centers. What killed them was complete and total inconsistency on both ends of the court. And the one that didn't have the true C had one of the best offenses, in terms of efficiency, in the country, but their entire defense sucked.

Second, Tom is the one who has said, numerous times, that the staff has cooled on Ike. This isn't posters making things up, spreading rumors, etc. The guy who runs this site has said it, numerous times. I trust Tom, therefore I don't think Ike is a possibility.

Lastly, there is nothing, outside of Fran visiting him once, tying Swanigan to Iowa. There is a ton of stuff tying him to Kentucky and Michigan State, including multiple sources saying it's basically down to those two. I would LOVE if Fran could somehow make it happen, I mean I would love it. I would throw a party in celebration of it. It ain't happening. You trying to equate people saying it's not going to happen (reality) to them saying they don't want it to happen (fantasy) is your mind purely trying to twist reality into you being the only "true" fan and give yourself a reason to argue with no one.

I gave Tom to much credit for owning this site, so right now, NO he is not credible enough for me. and since the coaches can't say anything to ANYBODY associated with the media, I will wait
THANK YOU VERY MUCH. just like I have 10X the confidence in Fran getting a recruit than some of you do. again THANK YOU VERY MUCH if I believe that Fran will get 1 or the other,

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:
I am guessing a transfer will be in the works. I think Fran is looking at a PG transfer (sits out next year) and then gets the following year to do his damage as a possibility.

OR

One thing I have noticed is in some of these smaller conferences (not saying these kids are elite) by any means, but there is some good guard play. Some of these kids could step into the Power 5 conferences and hold their own. Maybe Fran has his eyes on someone at a smaller school who qualifies under the Russell Wilson/Deandre Kane rule. Finishes in 3 years and has an extra year to play.

Regardless hopefully this little run and making the tournament will open some eyes. IF we can make a run in the tourney, then you will see kids take notice and start looking at Iowa. UNI got their starting PG out of Texas after their sweet 16 run. So being successful in the tourney will help with recruiting. But also making it helps a little.
I've heard rumors on another site that Warney, now a 6'8"/245lber from Stony Brook we played in the NIT, is a possibility for a transfer.

As far as LoVett, I've also heard he may be taking an extra year at Prep School because of the grades. This would put him in 2016. No PG at all at Iowa would probably be more attractive to him.

This post was edited on 3/10 11:22 AM by CanadaHawk

I don't see any info tieing swanigan to iowa so stop dreaming people we arnt a program that's gonna step into a later recruiting process and snag an elite guy. The way we recruited Ulis is how we will get a blue blood (top 50 recruit) every 3 years which I'm fine with.

Originally posted by HawkNAZTY20:
I don't see any info tieing swanigan to iowa so stop dreaming person we arnt a program that's gonna step into a later recruiting process and snag an elite guy. The way we recruited Ulis is how we will get a blue blood (top 50 recruit) every 3 years which I'm fine with.

FIFY.

There "arnt" a jar big enough or I'd put you and Kilroy in it and we could all watch you fight it out.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by SSG T:

3 things.

Not having a big isn't what killed those teams you listed. Hell, three of the four were starting true centers. What killed them was complete and total inconsistency on both ends of the court. And the one that didn't have the true C had one of the best offenses, in terms of efficiency, in the country, but their entire defense sucked.

Second, Tom is the one who has said, numerous times, that the staff has cooled on Ike. This isn't posters making things up, spreading rumors, etc. The guy who runs this site has said it, numerous times. I trust Tom, therefore I don't think Ike is a possibility.

Lastly, there is nothing, outside of Fran visiting him once, tying Swanigan to Iowa. There is a ton of stuff tying him to Kentucky and Michigan State, including multiple sources saying it's basically down to those two. I would LOVE if Fran could somehow make it happen, I mean I would love it. I would throw a party in celebration of it. It ain't happening. You trying to equate people saying it's not going to happen (reality) to them saying they don't want it to happen (fantasy) is your mind purely trying to twist reality into you being the only "true" fan and give yourself a reason to argue with no one.
+100 There isn't a single Iowa fan on this site that wouldn't be thrilled if Fran could land Swanigan. Saying you don't think it will happen is entirely different than saying you don't want it to happen. Classic Herby.........

I gave Tom to much credit for owning this site, so right now, NO he is not credible enough for me. and since the coaches can't say anything to ANYBODY associated with the media, I will wait
THANK YOU VERY MUCH. just like I have 10X the confidence in Fran getting a recruit than some of you do. again THANK YOU VERY MUCH if I believe that Fran will get 1 or the other,
So if Tom owned this site he would be credible enough for you.

Tell ya what, you should go over to HN and ask Miller........... Wait, you can't as you're banned there. How about head over to HI and ask Howe....... Oops, never mind.

You're arguing for the sake of arguing Herb, just admit it...

Originally posted by iahawkeyes17:

Fran would not tell a recruit come here and you start.

See Woody!!!

the ONLY reason I wouldn't want swanigan to come here... I suspect you would be even more annoying with your "I told you so" crowing.

Originally posted by HoustonREDHawk:

I will vote other. I am a little surprised that some new names haven't surfaced.
Other as well.

I suspect names will start popping up very frequently in the coming weeks with the season now winding down.

OR

Sira from Seton Hall?

BTW, what/where are the Fran comments that prompted this thread?

Originally posted by L. Wade Childress:
fran says something similar every year and it never amounts to anything.
Dickerson? Utoff? Cartwright? Weren't they all Spring recruits?

these were the players signed in spring
Basabe 5-1-10
Cartwright 6-7-10

Olaseni 4-26-11

signed 5 all commited before the Nov signing period did not need anybody in spring

only had 1 scholarship and Jok signed in Nov

Dickerson committed on 3-8-14 and signed in April

2015 Fran has 2 scholarships left, not enough to support any claim about success or lack of success in filling last minute scholarships. but it looks like he has done a very good job finding the ones he did.

Iowa needs size, and we need it badly.

What does a wave of 6'8" guys look like? A wave hitting a 6'10" sea wall.

Hawks haven't won with a center under 6'9" since 88. 89, starting center 7'0" Les Jepsen, with 6'8" Ed Horton and 6'10" Matt Bullard as forwards. 91-93, 6'11" Acie Earl with 6'9" Chris Street and 6'8" Russ Marble, 95 and 97, 6'9" 10 year NBA career Ryan Bowen, with some Russ Millard and Jess Settles at forward. 99-6'10" Guy V Rucker; 2001 6'11" Jared Reiner, 05 & 06 6'11/7' Erek Hansen, 14 & 15 7'1" Adam Woodbury backed by 6'10" Gabe Olaseni.

Even the 88 team played a f freak line up with Kent Hill (who was a Charles Barkley kind of body-a young Charles Barkley) and 6'8" 250 pounder Al Lorenzen as centers...with a healthy dose of Ed Horton on the low blocks.

How did the Hawks play when Mel Basabe and Jarryd Cole were the deep post presence on most plays? Had 10 and 11 win seasons.

that 2010 team also had the mighty Brom/Arch combo, but IA does need players over 6'10, I would have liked to see how that 11-12 season would have turned out if Cole would have had another year.

even Swanigan is only 6'8 not the Ideal size for a center, but as a PF he would fill a need left by White leaving, I expect Uhl to replace White next season at the 4, it would be nice to have these at the 4 next season.

6'8 265 lbs Swanigan
6'8 198 lbs Uhl
6'7 215 lbs Wagner

if it was/is to late for player to grow Iwould not mind if Uhl were to grow to 6'10, then he could replace Olaseni.

these were the players signed in spring
Basabe 5-1-10
Cartwright 6-7-10

Olaseni 4-26-11

signed 5 all commited before the Nov signing period did not need anybody in spring

only had 1 scholarship and Jok signed in Nov

Dickerson committed on 3-8-14 and signed in April

2015 Fran has 2 scholarships left, not enough to support any claim about success or lack of success in filling last minute scholarships. but it looks like he has done a very good job finding the ones he did.

Hubbard signed in the spring
This post was edited on 3/10 7:27 PM by SigMaintHawk

Originally posted by hawk_a_holic:

OR

Sira from Seton Hall?

BTW, what/where are the Fran comments that prompted this thread?
not certain on what prompted this thread per se, but fran inferred on the radio show last night that they were for sure going to sign another player for 2015.

Originally posted by The Sleeping Dog:
Iowa needs size, and we need it badly.

What does a wave of 6'8" guys look like? A wave hitting a 6'10" sea wall.

Hawks haven't won with a center under 6'9" since 88. 89, starting center 7'0" Les Jepsen, with 6'8" Ed Horton and 6'10" Matt Bullard as forwards. 91-93, 6'11" Acie Earl with 6'9" Chris Street and 6'8" Russ Marble, 95 and 97, 6'9" 10 year NBA career Ryan Bowen, with some Russ Millard and Jess Settles at forward. 99-6'10" Guy V Rucker; 2001 6'11" Jared Reiner, 05 & 06 6'11/7' Erek Hansen, 14 & 15 7'1" Adam Woodbury backed by 6'10" Gabe Olaseni.

Even the 88 team played a f freak line up with Kent Hill (who was a Charles Barkley kind of body-a young Charles Barkley) and 6'8" 250 pounder Al Lorenzen as centers...with a healthy dose of Ed Horton on the low blocks.

How did the Hawks play when Mel Basabe and Jarryd Cole were the deep post presence on most plays? Had 10 and 11 win seasons.
Seth Gorney kind of contradicts your point. It was the guys Basabe and Cole that got us in trouble. You can put that on Lickliter.

We already have Woodbury. Getting a 6'8 guy that can play defense and has some skills on offense like post game or 3ball shooting would be big help. Uthoff and Uhl both have length, not much strength.

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
Ike probably has potential but he still seems at least a year away from contributing anything to a D1, let alone a B1G, program. He's averaging only 6 minutes a game, despite being a starter. Granted, JUCO ball is different because they play a ton of guys and it's very high scoring. And to be fair, Ike has made use of his minutes, averaging 7 points, 7 boards, and 1 block, but 3 fouls (in 6 min/game?!?!). But people who are paying subscribers have said the staff has cooled on Ike and I believe them. At this point, if we made a run in the NCAA and really opened some players' eyes, taking Ike would feel somewhat like we're settling. JMO

This post was edited on 3/10 9:55 AM by StormHawk42
The minutes per game stat is not correct on the site. He's clearly not averaging 1pt and 1 reb per minute. If he was averaging 1pt and reb per minute he would be getting offers from every D1 school.

My bad. Didn't know that. Is there a more accurate stats place for JUCO? That was the only one I could find.

Logic, you have fallen prey to a fallacy.

You are conflating have big players with a good team. The GorLoob wasn't very good, collectively or individually. The team around them was even worse. The distinction you ignore is that between necessary or sufficient condition precedent. Wilt couldn't have lifted that posse to a NCAA bid. OK, maybe Wilt, but nonetheless awful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT