ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Worst Referee in Big Ten History

Who is the Worst Referee in Big Ten History?

• Dick Honig

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Dave Parry

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • David Witvoet

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • Bill LeMonnier

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • John O'Neill

Votes: 70 45.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
I actually thought whoever was in the review booth was blind. How he overturned the PSU TD is beyond me. But even more egregious was overturning the targeting call. WTF??? Both fan bases have cases for horrible calls in this game. Just a bad, bad performance all around by the refs and review booth.

But, penalties were 8-1 PSU. I agree, td should have stood for sure and targeting should have been upheld. But the overturned td and then holding on two more tds on the same drive......come on ref, thats bad. I also loved the holding on our db, the dline literally touched the qb in 2 seconds but out db held? Lol. Is what it is i guess but holy shit, atleast be shitty for both teams haha

Reactions: Nihilist Rodgers
But, penalties were 8-1 PSU. I agree, td should have stood for sure and targeting should have been upheld. But the overturned td and then holding on two more tds on the same drive......come on ref, thats bad. I also loved the holding on our db, the dline literally touched the qb in 2 seconds but out db held? Lol. Is what it is i guess but holy shit, atleast be shitty for both teams haha
Watch the replays. The holding calls were legit. There’s holding on almost every play just not called.

Holding calls are constantly in the eye of the beholder. Targeting calls were put in the rules to protect defenseless players from serious injury of possibly death with a blow to the head. If they're not going to uphold obvious textbook calls like that, then they need to take the rules out so at least the players and their parents and coaches know the risk. Hell they put in that silly fair catch rule for kickoffs, to avoid a collision that MIGHT happen, and then let a guy coming across the field take a helmet to helmet shot right in front of everyone to see and replay and then say, nope, no targeting there. Would love to see the refs explanation for how that was overturned.

Reactions: papabeef
Are you assuming penalties should be evenly distributed between teams. Why would you assume that?

On the targeting call, my initial feeling on the play was that the defender might not have intended the resulting head to head contact. The play happened over his shoulder and he turned and reacted by launching himself towards the receiver. Ive seen countless cases where its clearly an attempt to hurt or knock someone out, and i didn't think this fit. That being said, that was just my feeling, the video shows launching and violent helmet to helmet contact, no way it should have been reversed. The oveturned TD, worst call i can remember with instant replay.

Reactions: fizzyskittles
On the targeting call, my initial feeling on the play was that the defender might not have intended the resulting head to head contact. The play happened over his shoulder and he turned and reacted by launching himself towards the receiver. Ive seen countless cases where its clearly an attempt to hurt or knock someone out, and i didn't think this fit. That being said, that was just my feeling, the video shows launching and violent helmet to helmet contact, no way it should have been reversed. The oveturned TD, worst call i can remember with instant replay.
I saw it the same way. Also they're told to call targeting then it'll be reviewed.
It seems reversed from how they review other plays. Like you need irrefutable evidence to confirm the call and if it's not, you over turn it.

3156513.jpg

There was also a targeting call missed in the first quarter where our running back was held up and another player came in and used his helmet to crush him. Definitely helmet to helmet on a defenseless player

Yep, and as badly as Iowa's offensive line played they should have tried holding more.

I thought the officiating in the Iowa/Michigan game was garbage in favor of Michigan. Apparently, the officials were trying to return the favor to Iowa last night. Fortunately, it didn't affect the outcome in terms of the better team winning. Feel sorry, though, for the Iowa defense.

They seriously, though, need to do something about B1G Ten officiating.

Yep, and as badly as Iowa's offensive line played they should have tried holding more.

I thought the officiating in the Iowa/Michigan game was garbage in favor of Michigan. Apparently, the officials were trying to return the favor to Iowa last night. Fortunately, it didn't affect the outcome in terms of the better team winning. Feel sorry, though, for the Iowa defense.

They seriously, though, need to do something about B1G Ten officiating.
As a penn state fan I have a lot of gripes and I agree.

Watch the replays. The holding calls were legit. There’s holding on almost every play just not called.
Yes, they were legit, BUT.......that same hold goes uncalled on every play, in every stadium on every Saturday. Funny how it was decided to throw that flag repeatedly in crucial situations that had serious impacts on the game.

but every penalty on the overturned TD drive were the right calls .

Are you assuming penalties should be evenly distributed between teams. Why would you assume that?
Yes, and we should be able to choose when we want them. :)

As far as missed calls go, how about the fumble forced and recovered by A.J. against Clifford? That was blatantly obvious and should have been reviewed at the least. That would have completely changed the game, but again the officials and replay booth BLEW IT!!!

I hear a lot of comments about the touchdown in the second half they got that was overturned. Maybe it was because I was at the game and being at the game you don't have the best view. But why is no one talking about the ridiculously bad spot on their first touchdown drive just before they scored the touchdown. I think it's third and one at about the 37 and it looked like they lost a yard but they gave them the first down. Shortly after they scored the touchdown.

I didn't think any of the penalties called on PSU were bad calls.

They did miss the TD review, but that's no excuse to reverse the obvious targeting call either.......

This is great description. I agree the PSU player did not demonstrate intent. He was.visibly upset after the play. But it was still a foul per the rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT