ADVERTISEMENT

Post your best guitar solo

Duane Allman on this hard rock cover of the Hendrix song. Bobby Whitlock says Eric and Duane figured out the guitar parts while he wrote down the lyrics to the song. They played part way through once to get the sound levels and did this in one take. Magic.
At one point during the second solo you can hear EC saying "Right on, Duane!"

Reactions: CarterHall
I figure we could use a stress break.

My 14 and 18 year old got me into Buckethead this week. Even though he is my age group and did a tour of duty in GNR I really had no idea of his talent or ridiculous output until the kids showed me.

It is HROT so I am sure somebody will pull it off, but not sure how anyone tops this. A dude in a KFC hat and Michael Myers mask destroying a guitar song he wrote. The last two minutes are insane. Don’t post competition until you watch it all.

Enjoy and bring on the competition.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Don’t have time to post a link.......but take your pick of any Joe Bonamassa solo. “Woke Up Dreaming” is especially good......and long.

Last edited:
It's not a "solo"... but, it's a familiar tune for one of my demo videos with a backing track! My "solo" was different from the EVH version!

My 14 and 18 year old got me into Buckethead this week. Even though he is my age group and did a tour of duty in GNR I really had no idea of his talent or ridiculous output until the kids showed me.

It is HROT so I am sure somebody will pull it off, but not sure how anyone tops this. A dude in a KFC hat and Michael Myers mask destroying a guitar song he wrote. The last two minutes are insane. Don’t post competition until you watch it all.

Check out some of his stuff with Frogstomp Brigade with Les Claypool at Bonaroo in the early 2000’s. Just insane.

A couple great Eric/Duane ones already listed from Derek and the Dominoes, but my personal favorite is the last few minutes of Keep on Growing. Sorry not sure how to link it

Bluegrass always has some great guitar playing if you're into that sound. Billy Strings solo starts at about 3 minutes but the whole song is great

A buddy and I saw him live at Gabes in Iowa City years ago. Probably only 100 people there. Absolutely incredible guitarist and show.

Reactions: noleclone2
Allan Holdsworth is the only player I've ever heard besides Hendrix that never ran out of road. He could keep going in an improvisation and continue being original, interesting and exciting. He never fell back on anything. Neither did Jimi Hendrix. Something fun to read about is the time Holdsworth jammed with a prime Eddie Van Halen. He embarrassed him.

Geoff Achison is a fantastic Australian blues guitarist I’ve seen several times in person. Check out this whole cover of whipping post but jump to 3:45 if you can’t stand a beautiful buildup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT