ADVERTISEMENT

Practice observations...

Elihawk

HB Legend
Oct 5, 2001
Okay, overall not a great practice for the offense…but you could say that in just about every open fall practice in the past ~20 years. Very clean practice with few errors, penalties or TOs (until the end when a couple pick 6s).

Drew Ott, w/o question the best player on the field. If healthy, he is first team All BT!

Most improved players: T. Wiegers, J Daniels, N. Bazata, B Nieman, Taylor.

Defense, very solid today! How good? Can’t tell for sure…

Drew Ott, well wow! It wasn’t just that he was going against an inexperienced guy who struggled today. He was running down plays from the back side, tipping balls at the LOS and this guy just plays the game with passion on every play! JJ, very improved and ready to shine. Bazata held his own well. Meier, very improved.

Well, our LB might not have the “guns” that some people wish, but this group is fast and hits well. Nieman covers as well and reminds me of Steen! Bowers and Jewell look good in the middle and both are surprisingly quick. Really like the play of A Mends (2s) and true frosh J Jinning (3s)!

The strength of this team will be our secondary! King and Maybin are as good a pair of CB we have had in awhile! With Draper, Fleming we got some depth and experience. Taylor, Lomax, Synder and Gair, all solid players. Look for a big year out of Lomax!

Offense struggled today. There were bright spots, but the timing just isn’t there yet.

QB; CJ had a tough day and it was mostly not his fault, as our LT had a tough day. The good news about CJ was he didn’t throw too many bad balls and often put incomplete balls in places where only his guy had a shot at it. Thanks to Mr Ott/Meier, he didn’t exactly have a comfortable pocket to throw from. I thought T Wiegers was very improved from the DM spring practice till today. Might have the best arm on the team. Both Boyle and Cook have good arms and are good athletes, but I don’t see both staying at QB for the next 4-5 years. Cook had the better practice today.

RB- Just not a lot of great runs today, but not a lot of negatives either. No fumbles from the RBs and all ran hard. Daniels/Canzieri with the 1s, Mitchel/Wadley with the 2s.

WR/TE- Smith, Vandeberg and Hillyer- all improved from last year, but this is not the strength of the team! Hoped to see some young guys stepping up, but not really today...maybe Scheel, who looked good at times. TE, on the other hand, is the Offensive strength of this team, especially when Duzey get back. Kittle, HKC are both BT ready TEs!

OL- well, we struggled today and Meyer still have a lot of learning to do. Ott beat him outside, inside and bull rushed him into the QB. Now, I think Ott has a chance to be on some AA teams, but we still have to show improvement here in the next 3 weeks! No Walsh today, so Simmons, Blythe and Welsh inside. IB on the other side struggle some, but also had some very good blocks (and he wasn’t facing Ott all day). J Daniels is the most improved OL since the DM Valley spring practice, where he was brutal bad. Found a home at OG and looks good, hopefully he can RS this year and start next year!

Special teams- Koehn and Ellis both good as kickers! Didn’t see any punting today. T Smith returning kicks, I like it!

The good: Few mistakes, very solid Defense, coverage was outstanding.

The bad: Not much offensive production, lack of depth at key positions.

The Ugly: How Mr Ott made our left tackle look at times!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News