ADVERTISEMENT

Practice report....

Elihawk

HR Legend
Oct 5, 2001
First, typing this quick so not checking for typo and might misspell a players name or two...
Okay, quick hitters. Players of the day: Moss, Goodson and Laporta...one thing that strikes me is the volume of plays Iowa gets in. AFter watching some of other spring practices, Iowa had three QB throwing at once, three different pass types (fad route, out route and dump off)... other schools have a single QB line, each getting one rep every couple minutes, Iowa has three QB throw at the same time. Ditto for other drills, when possible

Talk to a coaches wife today and for a couple practices, only 7 OL have been available. I counted 11 today. Also, there have been a bunch of "non serious" surgeries in the last two weeks. DL looked like a pretty short bench as well, with Lee, Jones, Black, etc out...

QB...with our two top receivers out, Tracy and Ragani and a patchwork OL...I ain't taking much from the QB play. After watching two spring practices now, I think we can win games with Petras and Padilla...after that, a drop off.

Wr- Well, today, the first unit was Johnson/Jones and then a cast of guys who I may not play a ton in the fall- Ritter, Cooper, Bruce, etc. Anyway, not much to say about this group except it is a work in progress and we need to get guys healthy. Tracy had a minor surgical procedure recently...

TE- Laporta...stud. Lachey, maybe a year away from being a stud, but very good prospect. Saw the first glimpses of Maimen, looks good. Also, the first look at Yelverton. Good looking RS freshman.

OL Schott, Linderbaum, Dejong, Richman and Plumb...better than two weeks ago, but still need work. Run blocking solid, pass protection still needs work.

RB: Goodson, and then the rest. Special player who will have a lot to do with how many games we win in the fall. Both the Williams are good players who will play this fall....but Goodson is the man.

Defense...no Belton today, but Koerner back. Castro was the Cash back today and had a couple big hits
DL: Like the last practice...Wagoner, Stec, Shannon and ZVV...but no Schutte, Black, Jones or Lee, all likely 2 deep guys. Again, Van ness had a good practice with the 2s.
Love the LB trio of Jacobs, Campbell and Benson...all active and physical.
DB...Merriweather, JK, Moss and Harris with Hankins still out. Castro at the Cash today. Good looking group even w/o Hankins. Roberts still out.
Kicking, Taylor...we have been told he is working on some spins to his kicks...but can really boon a kick if he wants! Shudak is very good, maybe bigger leg than Duncan?

I'll add more later...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News