ADVERTISEMENT

Prenup mandatory for marriage?......

Aegon_Targaryen

HR All-American
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2014
Unless you decline doing it before you get married. So instead of going to get one, it's already a part of getting marriage. UNLESS, you both sign a document saying you decline it. I like it as I think we'd see just how many people really want to get married. It also forces the conversation, which could quickly show where a relationship really is.

It could possibly cut down on divorce rates. Plus, if the law has to be involved, let's make some sense of it.

I think a first year law student could successfully argue that a mandatory pre-nuptial agreement tacked on to a marriage contract would be a violation of each of their civil rights.

I've grown to think anybody with 7 figures in cash or property should demand one from the other partner if they don't have diddly squat or bring substantial debt and/or no job and scads of kids into the new marriage. But, that's just me.

Such a 'code' would have saved my best friend from a marriage that did not address his brides well hidden mental illness (bat-sh%t crazy gene) and devastating and equally well hidden debt-load. He never asked because doing so might 'rock the boat' and lead to an argument and hard feelings. It also would have interrupted/stopped the sex train.

Divorce settlement= paying lavishly for every bang you got during dating/marriage and then some.

If you don't ask the necessary/serious questions before getting married because it will 'rock the boat' and then you won't get to have sex, you can't be surprised if the other person has issues. Not that I'm blaming him, of course, because nobody deserves to go through that. But ignoring red flags never resulted in happiness.

This is an interesting POV for a guy who claims to be a libertarian. Are you on board with end of life counseling being provided as a matter of course? I've often thought something like this should be how we treat organ donation too. Rather than opting in, you opt out if you don't want your body recycled.

I think the prenup applies exponentially more if you marry older. As Wendy said, don't ignore or fail to address red flags and you'll be in much better shape.

For me it's easy...I know I'll lose money if I leave and my wife knows she would have to work if she leaves. It's a nice balance in the Powers household.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Prenups are usually necessary when a marriage
is a merger of two millionaires. This started in
Hollywood when two movie stars would get
married. They wanted to protect their financial
resources.

When two mid-Western college graduates
get married, there is no need for a prenup.
The husband and wife probably are not
multi-millionaires, but two people just starting
their careers.

Not just for the very wealthy. There are other considerations. For example, second marriages where you want to make sure your children get something if you go before the younger, trophy wife.

Originally posted by SCHawkFan:
Not just for the very wealthy. There are other considerations. For example, second marriages where you want to make sure your children get something if you go before the younger, trophy wife.
That is why the more frugal HROT captain of industry keeps the old bag of bones first wife while banging the supermodel or hot young intern on the side.

If a "pre-nup" is that important in a given situation, the couple ought to question whether or not they should get married at all.
This post was edited on 3/8 4:59 PM by cruhawk

Originally posted by cruhawk:

If a "pre-nup" is that important in a given situation, the couple ought to question whether or not they should get married at all.
This post was edited on 3/8 4:59 PM by cruhawk
Say two 50 year olds get hitched each with adult children. Don't you think it wise to specify if you want some of the property you bring to the marriage to go to your kid rather than your new step kid if you happen to die first?

Re: Prenup mandatory for marriage?......[/URL]Wendy79 posted on 3/6/2015...

If you don't ask the necessary/serious questions before getting married because it will 'rock the boat' and then you won't get to have sex, you can't be surprised if the other person has issues. Not that I'm blaming him, of course, because nobody deserves to go through that. But ignoring red flags never resulted in happiness.

Agreed. My friend knows he has no one to blame but himself.

The real victim is the 9 year-old daughter caught in the middle.

Another alternative is to just take government out of the equation altogether. Let's see just how in love people really are, when they don't have the law protecting you when it fails. Marriage is kind of silly to be honest.

It goes againt our human nature. It does help with raising kids, but it can also cause issues when raising kids as well.

It's a tricky platform that damn marriage word is.

The only people who find marriage "silly" are
those who cannot make a commitment to be
faithful to their husband or wife for life.

Marriage is not for the immature and immoral,
and it is certainly not going to work for those
with wandering eyes.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:

with wandering eyes.
Lute I'd take this post more seriously if it wasn't blatantly obvious that you yourself have wandering eyes. Don't think I haven't noticed how you used to hit on that Meg girl and constantly speak of attractive women celebrities ALL THE TIME.

Tell us the truth Lute, you lust for other women, a lot.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

with wandering eyes.
Lute I'd take this post more seriously if it wasn't blatantly obvious that you yourself have wandering eyes. Don't think I haven't noticed how you used to hit on that Meg girl and constantly speak of attractive women celebrities ALL THE TIME.

To be fair, he never posts any pics in those celebrity birthday threads and all the ladies he likes are really old. It might be more nostalgia than an actual wandering eye.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

with wandering eyes.

To be fair, he never posts any pics in those celebrity birthday threads and all the ladies he likes are really old. It might be more nostalgia than an actual wandering eye.
I think it is only because he doesn't know how to if I remember correctly. He's a old horn dog, don't let him fool you. He may really love his married life and his wife, but he's definitely got some wandering eyes.

I did it. Basically to protect my assets like my 401k, house, business. My wife had assets as well she added to the document. Basically you complete an assets/income/budget form normally used for a divorce. Then a law firm will use the form to complete the document. Now say I sell the current house and buy another one - it would be a 50/50 deal even if say 90% of the money put into the new house came from the current house's sale. There is a section for children as well. It cost about 1500 which I was somewhat disappointed with after reviewing the document and process to complete it. People change. I didn't want to feel like I was locked into a situation where I felt I couldn't afford to end our marriage if I or my wife was unhappy. The pre-nup could very well be thrown out with the right lawyer/judge but I don't think my wife would do that unless things went very sour.

I feel like I could handle cutting a check at divorce pretty well… any sort of an ongoing payment might bring me to a slow death. I don’t value money all that much but just picturing distributions getting split makes me physically uncomfortable

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT