ADVERTISEMENT

Press Release: Iowa Athletics to Expand Beer and Wine Sales as part of Pilot Program

IOWA ATHLETICS TO EXPAND BEER AND WINE SALES AS PART OF PILOT PROGRAM

IOWA CITY, Iowa
– The University of Iowa Athletics Department announced Thursday the creation of a pilot program to expand beer and wine sales at athletic facilities. Beginning this fall, beer and wine will be available for purchase throughout Kinnick Stadium, with the exception of areas immediately adjacent to the respective student section. Athletic events at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Duane Banks Field and Bob Pearl Field will also be included in the pilot program during the 2021-22 school year.

“We have been working with our campus partners on this for some time now and we are committed to maintaining a safe and enjoyable game day environment. While there is an opportunity for increased revenue, this decision was based on enhancing the fan experience and providing an additional amenity to our fans,” said Gary Barta, Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair. “At the conclusion of the 2021-22 academic year, we will work with our campus partners to review this pilot program.”

Thirty percent of net alcohol sales will be directed towards research-based initiatives developed and supported by the UI Alcohol Harm Reduction Committee, formed in 2009 to decrease high-risk drinking and the related harmful consequences.

The athletics department will also modify its parking lot hours as part of the pilot program. In the past, UI controlled parking lots opened for tailgating at 6 a.m. on game day, regardless of kickoff time. Beginning this fall, parking lots will open no more than six hours prior to kickoff and no earlier than 6 a.m. Parking on the night prior to football games will be limited to RVs only. There are no changes in postgame policies.

“We recognize that the pregame atmosphere around Kinnick Stadium is a significant part of the fan experience,” said UI Interim President John Keller. “We are adopting policies that encourage Hawkeyes to enjoy game day traditions while reducing underage access to alcohol and the negative impacts of binge drinking.”

Data from the 2019 season indicates 92% of vehicles utilizing university controlled lots on game day enter within six hours prior to kickoff.

Iowa joins seven other Big Ten schools who currently sell beer and/or wine in public areas at its home football games. Approximately half of the schools from the Power 5 conferences will sell beer and/or wine at their home football games this fall.

Fans continue to be encouraged to alert Iowa Athletics about inappropriate or unruly behavior by either calling or texting the UI Athletics Game Day Hotline (319-384-3000) and reporting your stadium location. Upon receipt of your message, an Event Services team member and/or law enforcement personnel will assist when necessary.
This will tap in to those who sneak ETOH in to the games and will give a nudge to those who need one last drink before going to the stadium. Unless they have vendors working the aisle the lines are going to be crazy long.

Reactions: iowahaha1
Yes beer makes you pee more than whiskey. The price will address the concerns of some of the posters that believe Kinnick will turn into a bacchanal. Try to keep up Sparky and lighten up.
Sure thing num nuts. Like I need to have some clown on the website tell me what I should say or think. Good luck with that "Sparky"......

6 hour rule for tailgating is dum. I bet that gets changed before the season is over
Private lots or properties will see a lot of fans park there to tailgate or walk to other tailgate areas on private property and enjoy the festivities prior to a game. This is only going to hurt the university with donations to park in their lots and allow donors to set up their area for family and friends. Just when I think the university can’t outdo themselves in stupidity, they one up themselves.

Gary Barta needs to grow a pair and say absolutely not, lots open up at 6 am regardless of game time so Hawk fans can enjoy getting together the 7 to 8 times a year to celebrate Hawkeye football. They must enjoy killing the goose that laid the golden egg, just like when Sally Mason was President and cracked down on the wrong people in the donor lots when all the issues were and are to the south of Melrose.

During the Sally Mason years I feared they would try to pull this stunt. MSU has it they call it rolling start times. What really puts a bad taste in my mouth is they are trying to sneak this through. They are emphasizing beer and wine in Kinnick. Start times seems to be an oh yeah there's this too. It's like they thought if we don't give them a carrot the backlash will be unbearable. Oh that carrot is going to be expensive too. I can't wait to buy those $10 beers.

Also their 92% of fans entering University lots comment with in 6 hours is crap too. 4 out of the 7 games were 11:00 starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slappy Pappy
I think having a "Family" or "sober" section would be a decent idea. Families and those who don't want to deal with people drinking can buy tickets in section XXX. Just a thought.

I used to bring in a flask to a few games a year, the number has dropped significantly as I've gotten older.
I'm intrigued by your XXX section but my preference would be to not have families there. Stepmoms and stepsisters are welcome though.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkeyebob62
This is a win win IMO

The UI gets the revenue
Tailgaters now dont have to slam 7 beers right before the game knowing they cant get one inside.

I honestly don't think you will see much of an uptick of lewd drunken behavior. Too pricey for most people to plan to get drunk at Kinnick inside the stadium.

Got to make up for that lost rev due to covid
Not as much as you think it would. Also to some degree it will cut into sales of other beverages. Some will be incremental revenue and some just eating purchases of other beverages.

Private lots or properties will see a lot of fans park there to tailgate or walk to other tailgate areas on private property and enjoy the festivities prior to a game. This is only going to hurt the university with donations to park in their lots and allow donors to set up their area for family and friends. Just when I think the university can’t outdo themselves in stupidity, they one up themselves.

Gary Barta needs to grow a pair and say absolutely not, lots open up at 6 am regardless of game time so Hawk fans can enjoy getting together the 7 to 8 times a year to celebrate Hawkeye football. They must enjoy killing the goose that laid the golden egg, just like when Sally Mason was President and cracked down on the wrong people in the donor lots when all the issues were and are to the south of Melrose.
Nah. Those won't lose any. People like the proximity. The show will go on.

Oh, and if I were an owner around the area, my prices just doubled due to this and due to the train no longer moving people.

I'm a huge partier and I really like tailgating for Hawkeye games. That being said, I'm flabbergasted at how long some people tailgate. I had an friend of a friend that had a spot in the dental lot and they'd start at 7am for a 7pm game. We got there at 3:30 and they were mostly blitzed when we arrived. One guy could barely walk by game time and had to be assisted/camouflaged to get him into the stadium. At the time I thought that was insane and assumed it was an outlier. From the posts here, there are a lot of folks who spend a long time tailgating before a game.

I'd be toast if I drank for 12 hours....I'd never make it to the game. But, that's just me.

We usually arrive about 3-4 hours before the game. That's enough time to grill, enjoy some beers and get inside before kickoff. A 6 hour limit would never affect me, but I'm not one to force my preferences on anyone else.

6 hours before an 11am game is 5am. No. way. in. hell. I'm going to get up at 4 am to get to a tailgate at 5. I'm guessing not many will be affected for 11am games. I'm betting they'll have huge traffic issues for 2:30 and late starts. We have a lot of 2:30 games this year...it will be interesting to see how long that rule lasts.

Reactions: hexumhawk
This is a win win IMO

The UI gets the revenue
Tailgaters now dont have to slam 7 beers right before the game knowing they cant get one inside.

I honestly don't think you will see much of an uptick of lewd drunken behavior. Too pricey for most people to plan to get drunk at Kinnick inside the stadium.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: hexumhawk
Nah. Those won't lose any. People like the proximity. The show will go on.
So you think people are going to be happy to wait till 8:30 am or 1 pm to park on University property for 2:30 or 7 pm kick offs?

No way. Again, the U of I just continues to step on their di$&s on a regular basis. It’s amazing how out of touch they are to what the fans want in the ability to attend U of I football games. It’s like telling your customers we don’t want you on campus and once the game is over, GTFO. So removed from reality is the leadership at the U of I.

So you think people are going to be happy to wait till 8:30 am or 1 pm to park on University property for 2:30 or 7 pm kick offs?

No way. Again, the U of I just continues to step on their di$&s on a regular basis. It’s amazing how out of touch they are to what the fans want in the ability to attend U of I football games. It’s like telling your customers we don’t want you on campus and once the game is over, GTFO. So removed from reality is the leadership at the U of I.
Others shall come in and take those spots. Like the people who claim "I will never shop there again" and you see them there a week later.

I am ok with alcohol sales in the stadium as long as folks are responsible and it doesn't take away from the peaceful experience that folks who don't drink like to have. I just don't want to take my grand-children and wife to a game and sit in front of some drunk guy screaming obscenities, puking or starting fights..... I hope it goes well. It would be nice to see a common ground here for drinkers and non-drinkers..
You mean there have been no drunk people up to this season? That's news.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Nothing like the potential will be moving forward...
The other schools that have gone this direction have claimed to see less offenses(in stadium) related to drinking.
I also think that what they choose to enforce and site as those offenses changes to support their position as well.

I'm a huge partier and I really like tailgating for Hawkeye games. That being said, I'm flabbergasted at how long some people tailgate. I had an friend of a friend that had a spot in the dental lot and they'd start at 7am for a 7pm game. We got there at 3:30 and they were mostly blitzed when we arrived. One guy could barely walk by game time and had to be assisted/camouflaged to get him into the stadium. At the time I thought that was insane and assumed it was an outlier. From the posts here, there are a lot of folks who spend a long time tailgating before a game.

I'd be toast if I drank for 12 hours....I'd never make it to the game. But, that's just me.

We usually arrive about 3-4 hours before the game. That's enough time to grill, enjoy some beers and get inside before kickoff. A 6 hour limit would never affect me, but I'm not one to force my preferences on anyone else.

6 hours before an 11am game is 5am. No. way. in. hell. I'm going to get up at 4 am to get to a tailgate at 5. I'm guessing not many will be affected for 11am games. I'm betting they'll have huge traffic issues for 2:30 and late starts. We have a lot of 2:30 games this year...it will be interesting to see how long that rule lasts.
Now, everyone is just going to drink at home and drive to Kinnick hammered.

The other schools that have gone this direction have claimed to see less offenses(in stadium) related to drinking.
I also think that what they choose to enforce and site as those offenses changes to support their position as well.
we'll just have to see how it goes this year I suppose

I don't see only allowing 6 hours of tailgating to cause much of an issue. Noon or 1:00 for a night game, 8:30 for an afternoon game shouldn't be a problem...for me anyway. For a night game hit a bar DT if your want to start at 11:00; not a bad way to kick things off.
What don’t people understand that tailgating doesn’t automatically mean people are drinking when they enter the lot?

What don’t people understand that tailgating doesn’t automatically mean people are drinking when they enter the lot?
Because no good story every starts with '99.9% of the people were behaving appropriately' most people go with the 'there was this one guy who was so drunk about 3 years ago'

Because no good story every starts with '99.9% of the people were behaving appropriately' most people go with the 'there was this one guy who was so drunk about 3 years ago'

That's how the media does it. Shooting after shooting and crime after crime. Most people aren't doing it.

Reactions: obfuscating
8oz beer will cost 14.00 so probably not going to sell many except to the drunks.

price is just satire (kind of)...

8oz beer will cost 14.00 so probably not going to sell many except to the drunks.

price is just satire (kind of)...
Alcohol does alter judgment. ..........................what the heck its worth it and I am thirsty for more beer. Next day, what are all these charges on my account?!??!?!???!

Reactions: obfuscating
It will pair well with Old Style/Busch Lite, or whatever swill becomes the official beer of the Iowa Hawkeyes.

They’d be downright stupid not to offer a few premium local beers. There are lots of people, myself included, who would gladly pay say $12 for a nice pint from Big Grove or the like. Not everyone is gonna take this as a chance to drink 10 beers and get plowed in Kinnick. Rather it’ll just be nice to sip a couple good beers while watching the Hawks.

I’m sure there will be a few guys who don’t realize how much they already have in their system from the tailgate, and the extra beer or two inside will send them over the edge. Just hope those are the exception and fans self-police somewhat so nobody’s day gets ruined. A lot of that already goes on anyway, especially for late games.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
....Almost everyone drinks, and nobody can stop them. In my days as a grad student in Iowa City I was among those who cleaned Kinnick on Sunday mornings after football games. Some of you might be surprised at the volume and variety of empty bottles of alcohol we collected. It's always been an open joke. Anyone who wanted to bring alcohol into Kinnick could do it, and they did.So, finally, GB wants to just be nice and sell people what they've been sneaking into Kinnick for over half a century....
I don't think they will be selling what fans have been sneaking in.
I hope the experiment works. Hope stadium imbibers won't be mixing Sneaky Pete's in the cheap seats with marginal wines and beers.

They’d be downright stupid not to offer a few premium local beers. There are lots of people, myself included, who would gladly pay say $12 for a nice pint from Big Grove or the like. Not everyone is gonna take this as a chance to drink 10 beers and get plowed in Kinnick. Rather it’ll just be nice to sip a couple good beers while watching the Hawks.

I’m sure there will be a few guys who don’t realize how much they already have in their system from the tailgate, and the extra beer or two inside will send them over the edge. Just hope those are the exception and fans self-police somewhat so nobody’s day gets ruined. A lot of that already goes on anyway, especially for late games.
There will be some adjustments needed. I did a game in the end zone during the year it was under construction. Ran into some friends and had drinks during the game had to cut my post game down since I didn’t have my regular 3 hour beer free time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT