ADVERTISEMENT

Pressure washes away must-read Iowa water blog

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Chris Jones, a research engineer at the University of Iowa and a prominent voice for water quality in this state, said two state senators pressured his superiors to have his popular blog removed from the university’s website.

“And so a couple guys from Legislature recently came to the university and said that, you know, it was interesting, I guess, would be a word to say, that the university comes to the Legislature wanting money for various programs, while they allow this blog to continue on the university domain,” Jones said in an interview with Iowa journalist Robert Leonard published on Friday. “And so they indicated that, you know, this needed to stop, the university indicated this needs to stop. And, you know, I always knew this day could come.”

Jones said the lawmakers are state Sen. Dan Zumbach, R-Ryan, and Sen. Tom Shipley, R-Nodaway. Zumbach is leading a legislative effort to remove funding for a network of water quality sensors that keep tabs on nitrate and phosphorus flowing into streams and rivers.

Advertisement

Two of those sensors are on Bloody Run Creek, a northeast Iowa trout stream. One is within sight of an 11,600-head cattle feedlot owned by Zumbach’s son-in-law. On Friday, a Polk County judge overturned the Department of Natural Resources’ acceptance of a manure management plan for the feedlot.

Jones has written extensively about the Bloody Run Creek saga.

Neither Zumbach or Shipley fully responded to an email seeking comment on Jones’ assertions. Zumbach sent an automated reply and Shipley said he hadn’t seen Leonard’s article and wouldn’t comment Monday.

As of deadline, Zumbach and Shipley had not responded to email seeking comment.

Jones’ blog was defined by its sharp, incisive and often humorous essays on the poor condition of Iowa’s waterways and the state’s woefully inadequate efforts to repair the damage.

“So I wrote the final piece, and I had very gently implied in the final piece that the blog was being discontinued because of pressure from the Legislature, and I was told by the administration that, you know, I was not to say or imply that I was being pressured to stop writing the blog by the Legislature. And so you know, I'm not going to be insubordinate, I agreed to change it,” Jones told Leonard.

Opinion Newsletter Signup​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Delivered to your inbox daily

After that, Jones put in his notice to retire.

I have little doubt Jones will continue to use his authoritative voice to address Iowa’s dirty water. On May 19, his book, “The Swine Republic” will be released, including essays from his blog.

But there’s a broader threat Iowans should consider. And that’s whether we’re going to see the sort of reckless, intensified attacks on higher education we’re seeing in other red states, particularly Florida. The Sunshine State has become Gov. Kim Reynolds’ go-to example of a great educational system.

Lawmakers have considered several bills targeting universities, including efforts to rewrite curriculum, scrap diversity, equity and inclusion efforts and end tenure. And they may have allies on the Board of Regents.

The Senate recently confirmed Robert Cramer, a close ally of Bob Vander Plaats and his Family Leader organization who joined an effort to have books removed from the freshman curriculum as a school board member at Johnston Community Schools.

Recently, Regent David Barker spoke at an event sponsored by the Iowa Faith, Family and Freedom Coalition where he warned government technology will be used to control our lives. “Today, they censor social media, but someday, when you tell your electric car to take you to church, it might say, ‘I’m afraid I can’t do that’ if your church is on the wrong list,” Barker said.

Legislative pressure on universities isn’t new. But in this political atmosphere, it’s nothing to take lightly. When researchers can’t present views based on solid data for fear of political reprisals, knowledge is replaced by propaganda. A culture of curiosity becomes a culture of fear. We can’t sit back and wait to fight back.

(319) 398-8262; todd.dorman@thegazette.com

This seems like the cancel culture board Righties are always complaining about.
Republicans hate ideas and speech.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT