ADVERTISEMENT

Problem With Officials

Crazy Hawk

HR Legend
Jan 10, 2003
Watching Rutgers vs Purdue (great game).

With under 20 seconds left, Purdue is avoiding a foul by playing keep away....ball crosses half court and to the top of the key for Purdue. Meanwhile, the official crosses half court and trips on Painter (falls down) who is standing well outside the coaches box and close to half court. Official gets up, Painter obviously is trying to help him up and they exchange a few words. No technical, nothing.

Here is my take...why have a coaches box with penalties associated for stepping out of them if you are not going to enforce the rule? This type of stuff opens the door for coaches acting like a POS on the sideline.

Drunk rant over.

Watching Rutgers vs Purdue (great game).

With under 20 seconds left, Purdue is avoiding a foul by playing keep away....ball crosses half court and to the top of the key for Purdue. Meanwhile, the official crosses half court and trips on Painter (falls down) who is standing well outside the coaches box and close to half court. Official gets up, Painter obviously is trying to help him up and they exchange a few words. No technical, nothing.

Here is my take...why have a coaches box with penalties associated for stepping out of them if you are not going to enforce the rule? This type of stuff opens the door for coaches acting like a POS on the sideline.

Drunk rant over.
you do not call a T in that situation .

Please show me in the rule book where there is an asterisk next to a rule indicating when it should be enforced and when it should be ignored.
It is in the book of dollars. You are looking in the. Wrong book. Look in the book of tv dollars.

Reactions: And1Hawk
"The rules require every coach to stay within a 28-foot roaming area behind the sideline and on his end of the court. Stepping outside the box can bring a warning followed by a technical foul.

But instead of incurring penalties, coaches are pulling off the sporting equivalent of eminent domain. Unchecked by referees, coaches are simply annexing new swaths of territory in which to work. If the NCAA tournament—which begins in earnest Thursday—is anything like this regular season has been, prepare to see millionaire coaches stomping wherever they please throughout March Madness.

Referees, meanwhile, are often contract workers with day jobs. They have enough problems—like deciding what's a charging foul under this season's revised rules—without challenging coaches over picayune matters.

But rules are rules. And at worst, college coaches have become potential obstacles to players and officials, said John Adams, the NCAA's national men's basketball officiating coordinator.

"We're going to run into a coach someday and someone is going to get hurt," Adams said. "And some lawyer is going to make a lot of money. Injury is the worst-case scenario. I think that gets lost in the cloud of 'Gee, it's not a big deal.'"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ncaa-t...ketball-coaches-stay-off-the-court-1395272314

Reactions: Crazy Hawk
They called a tech on Prohm this year for being out of the box five feet. At the very same time the other coach had just walked back into the box. Basically the refs have no consistency on the rule. Which makes it a dumb rule

In football if you make accidental contact with a ref it’s a penalty. Not sure why not in basketball. Besides that the NCAA likes its current setup as the coaches as the focal point celebrities

They extended the coach’s box this year and it was supposed to be a point of emphasis this season to enforce coaches leaving the box.

(Unless it’s “that point of the game” I guess)

Reactions: Crazy Hawk
In football if you make accidental contact with a ref it’s a penalty. Not sure why not in basketball. Besides that the NCAA likes its current setup as the coaches as the focal point celebrities

I agree with this......Watch Michigan St. today and you will see Izzo way more than the players. It's about every dead ball camera goes right to Izzo. Ridiculous.

They extended the coach’s box this year and it was supposed to be a point of emphasis this season to enforce coaches leaving the box.

(Unless it’s “that point of the game” I guess)

This is what gets me fired up. Then you wonder why coaches are out of control on the bench. They know very rarely are area of "emphasis" are followed through with.

Please tell why. He broke the rule. I repeat, he was so far out a ref fell over him. It shouldn't be called because of the situation? Ok, let's not call charges in crucial situations. Or hacks, or travels.
because it has not been called like that for the whole season . if it was called like that from day one , no problem . you would be bitching if he had called a T .

because it has not been called like that for the whole season . if it was called like that from day one , no problem . you would be bitching if he had called a T .
All the calls are called differently even in the same game at times so that means nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT