ADVERTISEMENT

Projecting the 2024 Depth Chart

RossWB

HR Heisman
Staff
Feb 1, 2006
Now that we know who's coming back (almost everyone) and who's going (good luck in the NFL, Coop), that makes it much easier to try and project the depth chart for 2024. Given all the returnees, the early 2024 depth chart looks a lot like the 2023 depth chart at several positions...

Up first -- OFFENSE

Looks like 7 projected senior starters on offense and 8 projected senior starters on defense. Could make the 2025 season pretty interesting.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Looks like 7 projected senior starters on offense and 8 projected senior starters on defense. Could make the 2025 season pretty interesting.

Normally, seeing this after going 10-4 would be pretty exciting.

With this offense though, it's hard to expect much of a change. 7/11

We will see how much the new OC can do.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Are we to assume there will be no additions through the portal on offense? Namely, the OL?

Kyler FIsher is returning as well.
Nothing against them, but I really don’t think it’s the right move for the staff to bring back players like Fisher and DeJong. I love the effort those guys have put in to go from being walk-ons to contributors, but the staff desperately needs those scholarships to upgrade the offensive talent level.

If the staff just trots out the guys listed on the offensive depth chart listed above, it’s gonna be a rough year in 2024, no matter how good the defense is.

It looks like Pro Football Focus agrees with me.... Richman is Iowa's most experienced offensive lineman, having started 39 games over the past three seasons. Unfortunately, he's also coming off a 2023 season in which he was Iowa's lowest-rated OL by far by Pro Football Focus -- 44.9 (out of 100) overall, 41.5 in run blocking, and 53.6 in pass blocking. Richman regressed significantly in run blocking, per PFF, as he was Iowa's highest-rated OL in run blocking in 2022 (70.7). If Richman starts we are absolutely in trouble again and Cade won't be healthy for long because of it.....

Normally, seeing this after going 10-4 would be pretty exciting.

With this offense though, it's hard to expect much of a change. 7/11

We will see how much the new OC can do.
Whoever will have good running backs to work with, a solid TE group, and 1-2 potential playmakers at WR.

I still have no faith in the OL. None. Why not hit the portal or JUCO ranks?

No matter who the next OC is, I really hope KF allows that person to do an honest assessment of the talent level on offense and gives him the autonomy to make some significant personnel changes.

Given how stubbornly conservative Ferentz is I don’t see it happening, but a guy can always hope.

Unless there are significant medical retirees, there is going to be some creaning going on with the current roster.

The OL is a bigtime issue imo. I hope someone proves me wrong, but I see no “attitude setters” or all out maulers in the position group. This will sound harsh, but it’s more a group of try-hards with a lot of experience but hasnt developed than a group with a mean steak or identity.

Again, that could change and hopefully prove that assessment wrong. And candidly, that could be as much of an issue with coaching as it is talent/individuals. If Barnett is still the OL coach in 2024, he has a ton to prove.

The OL is a bigtime issue imo. I hope someone proves me wrong, but I see no “attitude setters” or all out maulers in the position group. This will sound harsh, but it’s more a group of try-hards with a lot of experience but hasnt developed than a group with a mean steak or identity.

Again, that could change and hopefully prove that assessment wrong. And candidly, that could be as much of an issue with coaching as it is talent/individuals. If Barnett is still the OL coach in 2024, he has a ton to prove.
Dunker, Stephens and Jones are all capable of smashing some guys. They just have to want it more....

Reactions: shudaddy
It looks like Pro Football Focus agrees with me.... Richman is Iowa's most experienced offensive lineman, having started 39 games over the past three seasons. Unfortunately, he's also coming off a 2023 season in which he was Iowa's lowest-rated OL by far by Pro Football Focus -- 44.9 (out of 100) overall, 41.5 in run blocking, and 53.6 in pass blocking. Richman regressed significantly in run blocking, per PFF, as he was Iowa's highest-rated OL in run blocking in 2022 (70.7). If Richman starts we are absolutely in trouble again and Cade won't be healthy for long because of it.....
They’ve been beating the drum that it was injuries that slowed him down. Thats the company message for underperforming players that they don’t have anyone better to replace them with.

This was @RossWB 's projected OL just 11 days ago.

Now what does it look like?

LEFT TACKLE
(78) Mason Richman (6'6", 312 lbs, SR)
(71) Jack Dotzler (6'6", 295 lbs, SO)

LEFT GUARD
(56) Nick DeJong (6'6", 305 lbs, SR)
(58) Kade Pieper (6'3", 255 lbs, RS FR)

CENTER
(65) Logan Jones (6'3", 290 lbs, SR)
(76) Tyler Elsbury (6'5", 312 lbs, SR)

RIGHT GUARD
(77) Connor Colby (6'6", 311 lbs, SR)
(70) Beau Stephens (6'6", 319 lbs, JR)

RIGHT TACKLE
(68) Gennings Dunker (6'5", 320 lbs, JR)
(74) Trevor Lauck (6'5", 296 lbs, RS FR) OR
(72) Kale Krogh (6'5", 300 lbs, SO)

LEFT TACKLE

LEFT GUARD

CENTER

RIGHT GUARD

RIGHT TACKLE
My guess, with new projected weights as well …

LT - Proctor (6’ 7”, 360 lbs, So)
LG - Richman (6’ 6”, 318 lbs, Sr)
C - Jones (6’3”, 295 lbs, Sr)
RG - Colby (6’ 6”, 315 lbs, Sr)
RT - Dunker (6’ 5”, 330 lbs, Jr)

Average weight = 324 lbs! Might be largest line in Iowa history.

Elsbury, Stephens, Lauk, Dotzler, DeJong are “next man in”.

Last edited:
Elsbury I think wins a guard spot, He was one of the few bright spots on the OL when Jones got hurt
I think what drove me absolutely insane about '22 that most was Logan Jones botching the timing of the snap all season.

I can't remember the opponent but i remember in a game last season Elsbury came in at guard for a series and the first thing I noticed is he didn't have a glove on his right hand indicating he was a Center.
It drives me nuts that the staff doesn't seem to try and push him out there at C to see what he can do.

LEFT TACKLE

LEFT GUARD

CENTER

RIGHT GUARD

RIGHT TACKLE
Cody Fox will be in the mix before mid-season.

Swap dunker and richman and you have it.

will that OL win @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset a National Championship? :)

If those are their actual heights that’s damn tall also. Deacon would be hitting the backs of their helmets.

Deacon would be hitting the backs of their helmets.
Come On Wow GIF by BrownSugarApp

Elsbury is good , You find a spot on the inside, I could care less where
I’ve heard some of the media speculate that they won’t put Elsbury at guard because Kirk really wants a healthy back up center ready and available. I don’t know if they’ve ever done their jobs and confirmed that, but it would be good to know if that’s accurate.

With so many experienced players coming back, is Iowa a legitimate CFP type team?

Iowa's 2024 schedule:​

• vs. Illinois State, August 31, 2024
  • vs. Iowa State, September 7, 2024
  • vs. Troy, September 14, 2024
  • at Minnesota, September 21, 2024
  • at Ohio State, October 5, 2024
  • vs. Washington, October 12, 2024
  • at Michigan State, October 19, 2024
  • vs. Northwestern, October 26, 2024
  • vs. Wisconsin, November 2, 2024
  • at UCLA, November 9, 2024
  • at Maryland, November 23, 2024