ADVERTISEMENT

Prosecutor drops charges against West Branch farmer

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A Johnson County prosecutor dropped charges Tuesday against a 92-year-old West Branch farmer accused of driving his vehicle through wet concrete on Herbert Hoover Highway, causing over $366,000 in damages.

Carl Fobian initially was charged with felony criminal mischief and trespassing, a serious misdemeanor. If convicted on the felony charge, he would have faced up to five years in prison. The case was planned to go to trial Tuesday before the charges were dismissed.

According to the complaint, a vehicle drove around barricades on Herbert Hoover Highway northeast at Oasis Road and also at Lower West Branch Road, driving through freshly poured concrete for about 1/4 of a mile. The damage was estimated at $366,139, the complaint stated.

Leon Spies, Fobian’s Iowa City lawyer, said his client maintained his innocence and that witnesses “familiar with his whereabouts” that day — Nov. 1, 2022 — would testify Fobian couldn’t have committed the crime.

“The investigator thought the tire tread on Fobian’s farm car resembled the tracks in the damaged pavement, and believed that material from one wheel well of Fobian’s car was concrete,” Spies told The Gazette. “Fobian’s home farm is near Herbert Hoover Highway where the damage occurred.”

However, the defense had scientific tests of evidence taken from underneath Fobian’s vehicle by Johnson County sheriff’s investigators that showed no concrete — only mud and gravel dust, Spies said.

Assistant Johnson County Attorney Haley Huddleston amended the trial information to only the serious misdemeanor before asking the court Monday to dismiss the case.

“While there was probable cause for the (charges), after conducting depositions and upon further investigation there is not enough evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt at trial,” Huddleston said in her

https://www.thegazette.com/crime-courts/prosecutor-drops-trespass-charge-against-west-branch-farmer/ motion.

I know West Branch people, and they are all confident he did it, and have said that he was being a red ass about the road work, and how long it was taking.
FWIW, I know people VERY CLOSE to this man that say otherwise and have compelling reasons for their point of view. Now then, what really happened? I don't know, I wasn't there, but hearsay and innuendo don't prove anything. Do any of your "sources" have any facts?

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
FWIW, I know people VERY CLOSE to this man that say otherwise and have compelling reasons for their point of view. Now then, what really happened? I don't know, I wasn't there, but hearsay and innuendo don't prove anything. Do any of your "sources" have any facts?
He’s nothing but a blob of a talking head 🗣️

I know West Branch people, and they are all confident he did it, and have said that he was being a red ass about the road work, and how long it was taking.
I bet you could find some West Branch people who are confident that the moon landing was fake and that the Earth is flat.
I'm not saying whether the guy did it or not, but the opinion of a few locals doesn't mean jack s***.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT