ADVERTISEMENT

PSA for those looking for a short new series to watch: White Lotus on HBO Max

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
We have only watched the first three episodes so no spoilers please. I will just say it is set in Hawaii and pretty funny. Oh an Alexandra Daddario is not hard on the eyes.

Mrs. Dragon (no pics) and I finished watching the series last week. Very solid and enjoyable with some shock factor mixed throughout.

Beware, you will see Steve Zahn’s ballz. That was not fun, but the rest of it was.

It was a good show but not sure I'll watch the second season. I just can't get into these satirical wealth culture comedy dramas like this and Succession. It's just not my thing.

Mrs. Dragon (no pics) and I finished watching the series last week. Very solid and enjoyable with some shock factor mixed throughout.

Beware, you will see Steve Zahn’s ballz. That was not fun, but the rest of it was.
You see them early in episode 1. I was like WTF? I do love him through the first 3 episodes, he is hilarious and I found humor in his dad's backstory...

Reactions: LuciousBDragon
My husband watches this so I’ve seen parts if I’m in the room. I don’t know character names but the honeymoon dude needs to die in a fire. No chance that girl marries him in real life. I’m not a fan but I’m the Hallmark channel girl so I’m not judging.
I think that guy is actually funny - he is like an angry, slightly better looking, Ed Helms. But yeah, he's not hitching his wagon to Alexandra Daddario.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
You see them early in episode 1. I was like WTF? I do love him through the first 3 episodes, he is hilarious and I found humor in his dad's backstory...
Keep watching, more stuff that will make you yell GOO!!
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: l.todd
Like Ed Helms, he was also on The Office (in the later nearly unwatchable seasons). He was an intern IIRC
He is one of the actors/actresses in the show that looked vaguely familiar but I couldn't quite place. Placing where I saw Steve Zahn was killing me until I looked him up and remembered him as the dad in Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
He is one of the actors/actresses in the show that looked vaguely familiar but I couldn't quite place. Placing where I saw Steve Zahn was killing me until I looked him up and remembered him as the dad in Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
Steve Zahn I know well because Saving Silverman was everyone's favorite movie in middle school, but I don't think anyone else liked that movie including current middle schoolers

Reactions: SF HAWKEYE
Steve Zahn I know well because Saving Silverman was everyone's favorite movie in middle school, but I don't think anyone else liked that movie including current middle schoolers
He is back playing a hilarious dad in White Lotus. Maybe plays the same character all of time? Either way, I am a fan.

It was a good show but not sure I'll watch the second season. I just can't get into these satirical wealth culture comedy dramas like this and Succession. It's just not my thing.

So, I was a bit dubious of it for the exact same reason. I feel pretty much the same way as you about Succession...I watch it because the acting is awfully good, and the writing is tight, but I struggle to say that I "enjoy" it, or even that it's a great show. I have some problems with elevating to greatness a show that brazenly cynical and with everyone thoroughly unlikable.

While I see the similarities with White Lotus for sure, it's a different animal to me. In many ways, all the characters are both somewhat repugnant, and yet still sympathetic. Obviously, the fiance is the only one that truly isn't sympathetic for sure, but at least you get to see the mother that raised him, and the truth is he really is being gaslit by the manager.

I generally find the shows that are sort of "look how hard the rich have it" to be offputting, but I find that Mike White as a director manages to really effectively treat his subjects with empathy (usually). I think White Lotus is kind of a saying that we're all kind of f---ed up and sort of trying our best, the best we know how. And sometimes that makes it even worse, but you have to take beauty and goodness where you can find it.

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that, but I found it was a compelling and bittersweet execution of that philosophy.

Number 9 looks like she could be batshit crazy. I would think that would move her up regardless of M1 or M2. And I can never remember which is which.
I’m going to turn in my man card and admit I know who some of them are from watching bachelor over the years when my wife watched it. Cassie is #1, and Hanna G is #2, to help calibrate the correct Method 2 analysis.

No votes for Stiffler’s Mom being a drunk slutty horn dog?? And there are 3 scenes, end of episode 4 being one of them, being bat shit crazy and funny as hell. Lots of satirical social commentary in the show, but in terms of Succession, really only the newlywed groom fits that profile. And he is Roman. A complete doofus. I absolutely loved the hotel manager, Armond’s, character. He was awesome!

Reactions: Tenacious E
Hacks is a much better show on HBO
I saw them both. I preferred The White Lotus. Could you just say "I liked Hacks better than The White Lotus"? I liked Hacks, but thought there was more depth in The White Lotus, despite some of it's imperfections. I would never say one was "better" than the other, just that I liked one more than the other. It's subjective, you know?

That was certainly a body double. You don't see balls and face at the same time.

I saw them both. I preferred The White Lotus. Could you just say "I liked Hacks better than The White Lotus"? I liked Hacks, but thought there was more depth in The White Lotus, despite some of it's imperfections. I would never say one was "better" than the other, just that I liked one more than the other. It's subjective, you know?
Nope this is HROT. Jean Smart will probably get an Emmy for Hacks. And the ending left me wanting more. Lotus was just ok.

My husband watches this so I’ve seen parts if I’m in the room. I don’t know character names but the honeymoon dude needs to die in a fire. No chance that girl marries him in real life. I’m not a fan but I’m the Hallmark channel girl so I’m not judging.
This is a hot damn take right here, @3boysmom is bringing it! I have to watch now!

I think that guy is actually funny - he is like an angry, slightly better looking, Ed Helms. But yeah, he's not hitching his wagon to Alexandra Daddario.
It’s funny, I was getting Jason Biggs DB vibes off him, but the wife (no pic) mentioned Andy Bernard in the first episode even before he wore the Cornell hat.

We really liked the show. I was probably only 90% there on the ending, but most of the show was pretty fantastic….and hey, something for everyone - Daddario on one hand and Zahn’s berries on the other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT