ADVERTISEMENT

PSA for those looking for a short new series to watch: White Lotus on HBO Max

We really enjoyed it. Armond was my favorite character. Plus, I love me some Connie Britton.

Connie-Britton.jpg

Just finished the series last night. Not sure I get it. Wasn’t an outright comedy as you had to do some work to find humor throughout much of it. Wasn’t an outright drama either. And when you break it down none of the characters are all that likable while only one of them that doesn’t end up dead really changes by the end of the show.

Spoilers below..

Armand is an asshole before he falls off the wagon and it only gets worse from there.
Spa Manager allows everyone to use her and just ends up right back where she started.
Tonya is insane and entitled, the kind of person that leaves destruction behind them while everything works out great for them.
Groom is an entitled brat that doesn’t see what he has in front of him. Although he was correct that he was getting F’d over by Armand,
Bride is meant to be the person we feel the most sympathy for, until you learn that she isn’t really worth of that sympathy. She’s not a good journalist, one of the things she was most proud of writing she only really edited and she isn’t in demand for writing any articles that matter. Then she has an identity crisis about her failed career. She agreed to marry this man less than a year after meeting him and was obtuse enough to not notice his faults at any point in time before. And after all of that bad experience through the honeymoon she stays with him? Just no growth and is probably too real to life for a tv show.
Mom is work obsessed and pay attention to her kids. But things work out great for her.
Dad is hilarious, but returns to his spoiled life ways after his health scare and they didn’t really take that leaned news about his dad anywhere that mattered.
Daughter is a conniving bitch and not nice to anyone, especially her best friend.
Son is the character that has the best journey and most positive change. But he’s supposed to be 16 and runs away from his family? Also, maybe don’t get an actor that is 33% older than the character he’s playing as it hurt the perceived growth when a supposed mid-teenager looks like a 20 something adult.
Friend is also a bit of a bitch who never seems thankful for even being on the trip and then turns around and screws up the life of her new FBuddy while also trying to screw over the family that brought her there in the first place. The BS about her host family ”stealing” from the natives is so short-sighted.

I guess maybe the show is about how rich people will chew up and spit out the loves of the workers that allow them to have their posh lives, while the rich people end up just fine in the end without noticing the damage left behind.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
Just finished the series last night. Not sure I get it. Wasn’t an outright comedy as you had to do some work to find humor throughout much of it. Wasn’t an outright drama either. And when you break it down none of the characters are all that likable while only one of them that doesn’t end up dead really changes by the end of the show.

Spoilers below..

Armand is an asshole before he falls off the wagon and it only gets worse from there.
Spa Manager allows everyone to use her and just ends up right back where she started.
Tonya is insane and entitled, the kind of person that leaves destruction behind them while everything works out great for them.
Groom is an entitled brat that doesn’t see what he has in front of him. Although he was correct that he was getting F’d over by Armand,
Bride is meant to be the person we feel the most sympathy for, until you learn that she isn’t really worth of that sympathy. She’s not a good journalist, one of the things she was most proud of writing she only really edited and she isn’t in demand for writing any articles that matter. Then she has an identity crisis about her failed career. She agreed to marry this man less than a year after meeting him and was obtuse enough to not notice his faults at any point in time before. And after all of that bad experience through the honeymoon she stays with him? Just no growth and is probably too real to life for a tv show.
Mom is work obsessed and pay attention to her kids. But things work out great for her.
Dad is hilarious, but returns to his spoiled life ways after his health scare and they didn’t really take that leaned news about his dad anywhere that mattered.
Daughter is a conniving bitch and not nice to anyone, especially her best friend.
Son is the character that has the best journey and most positive change. But he’s supposed to be 16 and runs away from his family? Also, maybe don’t get an actor that is 33% older than the character he’s playing as it hurt the perceived growth when a supposed mid-teenager looks like a 20 something adult.
Friend is also a bit of a bitch who never seems thankful for even being on the trip and then turns around and screws up the life of her new FBuddy while also trying to screw over the family that brought her there in the first place. The BS about her host family ”stealing” from the natives is so short-sighted.

I guess maybe the show is about how rich people will chew up and spit out the loves of the workers that allow them to have their posh lives, while the rich people end up just fine in the end without noticing the damage left behind.

lighten-up.gif

Spoilers below..

This pretty much sums up my opinion as well

Spoilers below..

I think that the show elicited such a response means it was successful. Pretty much everyone but the newlywed wife is a POS. They are all narcissists. The husband is hilarious though and the college-aged daughter has nice cans (not pervy because she is actually 23). I also found Armond to be highly entertaining.

Reactions: NoleATL
The annoying trust fund baby dude should have annulled the marriage to his bride. Not wanting sex during the honeymoon? Wanting to work on a floundering career during the honeymoon? Going off the deep end and telling everyone about it? Some serious red flags there.

Hated the unappreciative girl who set up the fuk-buddy guy to steal for a "good cause". She should have done it herself if she felt so strongly about it. Guess she will have her conscience to haunt her along with random hints from her hot big-boobed friend.

Last edited:
Season two of White Lotus is currently airing. anyone watching?
We are... and are current to what's been released. We like it and we also like there are more attractive male characters. Hottie women for most of y'all, too...

I watched about 3 epidodes of season 1 before I even noticed this thread. The description called it a dark comedy. I have no idea where the comedy supposedly was.

“The Death of Stalin” was a brilliant dark comedy. I laughed out loud numerous times in multiple viewings. I didn’t laugh once while watching The White Lotus.

Alexandra Daddario and Sydney Sweeney are hot as hell, but that’s about the only good thing I can say about the series.

I didn’t laugh once while watching The White Lotus.
Agree. I think they tag "dark comedy" on anything dark that doesn't fit nicely in a category. We enjoyed the first season and might like this season even better. Not sure where the dark turn(s) will be but there are a couple possibilities.

Reactions: TJ8869
I finished Season 2. I thought it was a pretty big improvement on Season 1 actually, and I liked Season 1.

They really hit that complexity of character and situations so you can both feel some sympathy for and some disdain for almost everyone really. Which really, is pretty much like real people.

I think it's pretty interesting and really good filmmaking.

That aspect is almost a throwback to 1970s movies where the "protagonists" were not at all required to be "good" in many ways. You watch old stuff like The French Connection or The Hustler or something, and its striking that there was a time when you could just tell a story, and the people could be complicated. Today, everything is extremely, extremely coded. They make sure to flag the baddies for you, by showing they won't like dogs, or will be outwardly religious, or work in finance. If you have a real redneck character, you always find a way to make sure they work in a non sequitur way for him to say "Course, I never did pay no mind to what which sex people choose to fall in love with, seems but nunnamy bizness you know" if you want to let the audience know they are ok to like, otherwise the audience knows to assume they are bad. It's just flat out what our entertainment is today.

But something like White Lotus doesn't give easy all good/all bad characters, and derives high drama out of story, performances, situations, etc...just doesn't rely on the standard good/bad struggle.

A fair amount. More in season 2 than season 1.

I was kind of "blah" on season 1. We kept watching but weren't sure why.
Season 2 was much more entertaining. Coolidge won that golden globe for a reason, she was the best part of the show.
Interesting. I enjoyed season 2, but I thought season 1 was far superior. I thought the Armond character was awesome and really made the first season what it was in my opinion. Jennifer Coolidge and Steve Zahn were also hilarious.

Interesting. I enjoyed season 2, but I thought season 1 was far superior. I thought the Armond character was awesome and really made the first season what it was in my opinion. Jennifer Coolidge and Steve Zahn were also hilarious.
Armond had a lot of Basil Fawlty in him, which was highly entertaining.

Reactions: BelemNole
I think I didn't know what to expect in the first season so it took a while for me to appreciate it. Season 2 I was onboard from the get go.

A fair amount. More in season 2 than season 1.

I was kind of "blah" on season 1. We kept watching but weren't sure why.
Season 2 was much more entertaining. Coolidge won that golden globe for a reason, she was the best part of the show.

Agree completely.

K finally trying to watch this. They made me hate every almost character in the 1st episode. And I like all of the cast. I hate almost every character in this show. But none as much as Jennifer Coolidge's character

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT