ADVERTISEMENT

Former Hawkeye John Ryberg called in to USA Rugby camp for two test matches...

Menace Sockeyes

HR Legend
Sep 2, 2010
The former Cedar Rapidian starting for first place Glendale Raptors against second place Seattle Seawolves in Major League Rugby for those of you with ESPN+. Glendale up 14-11 at the half and he's been a tackling machine. He's #11 with the Hawkeye Rugby tattoo on the thigh.

Last edited:
Rugby is the back yard football we all played as kids...no helmets, no pads, and not much organization.

No helmets: Correct
No pads: Correct
No organization: Incorrect

As someone who obsessively played back yard football (but had no interest in playing "organized" football), rugby certainly had moments like it, but the scrum, ruck, line out, and break out are anything but unorganized. Lots going on, and lots of coaching that go into it.

No helmets: Correct
No pads: Correct
No organization: Incorrect

As someone who obsessively played back yard football (but had no interest in playing "organized" football), rugby certainly had moments like it, but the scrum, ruck, line out, and break out are anything but unorganized. Lots going on, and lots of coaching that go into it.
i say this with all due respect... you have to be a special kind of crazy to play that game. i like my teeth way too much.

Houston has a MLR team. I went to one match this year. Some guy got clotheslined. Slow to get up. Also went to the USA/Scotland test match last Saturday. What an upset. The 10K or so there were screaming USA USA at the end. The Scot missed the conversion kick so the final was 30-29. Biggest victory for USA Rugby ever.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Houston has a MLR team. I went to one match this year. Some guy got clotheslined. Slow to get up. Also went to the USA/Scotland test match last Saturday. What an upset. The 10K or so there were screaming USA USA at the end. The Scot missed the conversion kick so the final was 30-29. Biggest victory for USA Rugby ever.

I missed this post. I'm jealous you were at both this summer.

FYI, Ryberg and the Raptors lost to Seattle Seawolves in the first ever MLR Championship Final.

Reactions: pink shizzle
BUMP: Ryberg scored his first ever regular season try (like a TD) last night in the season opening game on CBS Sports Network. I will put up video later, but I believe I heard the Hawkeyes got a mention. /CSB

Here it is as #2 in the Top 5 MLR Tries of the Week! Beautiful stiff arm and speed to turn the corner. Cuts off the Hawkeye comment, but if I find video I’ll add it...

I couldn't see the number on his jersey. Does he still play 11? He's a thick back, looks like an 8 basically.

Not sure if he reclaimed the #11 for this year, or if he is still #16 like most of last season. He was definitely playing wing, and they seem to prefer to play him against Seattle’s stout “Sea Wall”defense. Those are his two starts. You’re right, he’s a big boy for a wing, but he showed some wheels with that power there.

Last edited:
The former Cedar Rapidian starting for first place Glendale Raptors against second place Seattle Seawolves in Major League Rugby for those of you with ESPN+. Glendale up 14-11 at the half and he's been a tackling machine. He's #11 with the Hawkeye Rugby tattoo on the thigh.

I remember this kid when I lived in Cedar Rapids. Played for a really good CRX team and was a beast back when David Perry played for Lin Mar.
I know Iowa thought he was going to be a great fullback for them until he tore up his knee.

I remember this kid when I lived in Cedar Rapids. Played for a really good CRX team and was a beast back when David Perry played for Lin Mar.
I know Iowa thought he was going to be a great fullback for them until he tore up his knee.

Seems like lots of fullbacks convert to rugby. Paul Lasike of BYU rugby/football went to the Chicago Bears before going to Utah Warriors and now London Harlequins. Ryberg has the potential to make that jump with his size and speed.

Rugby players are in general tough s.o.b.'s
I got offered to join a club team after organized FB was over for me, I went to one practice & F that. Too violent
I've been playing for about four years now. My first game ever I fractured my collarbone and separated my shoulder. I finished the game with it because I didn't want the guys thinking I, the new guy, was a little bish. Bad idea, I couldn't lift my arm further than 3-4 inches away from my body and took months to really get healthy again. CSB.

I've been playing for about four years now. My first game ever I fractured my collarbone and separated my shoulder. I finished the game with it because I didn't want the guys thinking I, the new guy, was a little bish. Bad idea, I couldn't lift my arm further than 3-4 inches away from my body and took months to really get healthy again. CSB.

Damn, that’s bad first game luck. How did you manage that? The worst I had in three years of HS and college was a deviated septum, a dislocated pinky, a goose egg on the head, and torn cartilage in the ear. (The last one was the worst. Felt like a knife slicing my ear anytime it was touched.)

Reactions: m.stoops2013
Damn, that’s bad first game luck. How did you manage that? The worst I had in three years of HS and college was a deviated septum, a dislocated pinky, a goose egg on the head, and torn cartilage in the ear. (The last one was the worst. Felt like a knife slicing my ear anytime it was touched.)
Had a big impact with a Samoan. I've had two concussions (if I get another I will call it quits) but the last one was 2.5 years ago. Other than that I haven't had any real injuries other than a couple pulled muscles.

The ear sounds bad. We played against a guy that had his ear almost entirely ripped off. The finger would be a major pain in the arse. I cant stand when I get a finger jammed, stepped on, etc.

Rugby is the back yard football we all played as kids...no helmets, no pads, and not much organization.

If you're not organized in rugby you're going to have a rough go of it. If more Americans actually spent some time to learn the game I think it would become a top 5 sport here. Watch some European, South African, Australian or New Zealand teams play. It's a great sport to watch and the fans are a blast to hangout with. Or watch some Rugby 7's, you just might get hooked.

Reactions: OKCRockHawk
Rugby players are in general tough s.o.b.'s
I got offered to join a club team after organized FB was over for me, I went to one practice & F that. Too violent

Haha it's a rush though. An Australian friend of mine got me into it after my FB days were over. I live in an area where Rugby is pretty popular. Can honestly say playing the sport and the overall team camaraderie has been more enjoyable than my 13 years of experience playing tackle football.

I messed my shoulder up in a game last August. Took until February before it began to feel right again. From August til December couldn't raise my right arm above my head without significant pain. My wife wants me to finally hang things up after 13 years of FB and going on 10 years of off and on rugby. But shoulder feels great again and the sport is calling for me.

Wanted to also include this sweet move and run from former Des Moines kid and SE Polk prep, Deion Mikesell. Mikesell has been getting looks from the USA national team too. Special shout to @leiserom ...

Former Hawkeye walk-on fullback turned rugby player starring alongside some international rugby legends in Giteau (AUS), Ashley-Copper (AUS), Bryce (SCOT), and Van Der Merwe (CAN) at first place expansion side LA Giltinis. Playing TONIGHT on Fox Sports 2 from the new NFL SoFi Stadium...

Fastest try in league history this year...

I went to the game in LA today at SoFi Stadium.. Holy hell that place is sweet!

20210515-182745.jpg

I went to the game in LA today at SoFi Stadium.. Holy hell that place is sweet!

20210515-182745.jpg
Sweet! Only caught the first half, but it looked like an amazing stadium. Only downside was the football lines, but I’m guessing that’s because it’s an artificial surface. I also heard they sold out the 10% capacity and it held the noise in well.

Our favorite Hawkeye rumbled in as well, I see...

But this was my favorite. A damn near perfectly executed kick and chase try...

Sweet! Only caught the first half, but it looked like an amazing stadium. Only downside was the football lines, but I’m guessing that’s because it’s an artificial surface. I also heard they sold out the 10% capacity and it held the noise in well.

Our favorite Hawkeye rumbled in as well, I see...

But this was my favorite. A damn near perfectly executed kick and chase try...

They announced they sold out the allotted tickets. The football lines are always a bit odd but I'm sure the guys thought it was sweet getting to play in that stadium.
The kick and chase was pretty.
The 9 for LA and the 15 for Utah are former teammates which is always cool to see. The 9 helped me out a lot when I was out of shape and coming back from a knee injury and dying during 7s conditioning haha.

Well shit, I'm driving down from Iowa to Florida this weekend and decided to make a pit stop in Atlanta. I went to the LA vs. Atlanta rugby game tonight and didn't realize there was a Hawkeye on LA until now. I was standing by LA's bench and left the Hawkeye hat in the car

Well shit, I'm driving down from Iowa to Florida this weekend and decided to make a pit stop in Atlanta. I went to the LA vs. Atlanta rugby game tonight and didn't realize there was a Hawkeye on LA until now. I was standing by LA's bench and left the Hawkeye hat in the car
I went to an LA game recently and when they announced Ryberg I perked up. I wasn't aware he was on the team until then.

Reactions: jaxhawk06

You might have seen a preview of this year’s final. LA and Atlanta. As if those two cities haven’t had enough success in sports we like recently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT