ADVERTISEMENT

PSA: Starship's 4th Integrated Test Flight tentatively June 6

Yes, can't wait to take delivery so I can transport my bike and maybe a shoebox or something else small

tjzxztc87h0c1.jpg

Like your penis?

giphy.gif

German Auto Industry funded publication trashes competition using crank metrics with misleading headline. This is so surprising. Considering VW directly funds fake environment groups to hound Tesla and VW employees in Germany have been found to spend their work day trolling Tesla online.

Don’t listen to the self dealing publications who want VW / Audi / BMW ad dollars.

SpaceX Starship: Pioneering the Future of Space Exploration

SpaceX's Starship, a revolutionary two-stage super heavy lift launch vehicle and spacecraft, stands at the forefront of space exploration, promising to reshape the landscape of interplanetary travel.

SpaceX Starship emerges as a pivotal player in Elon Musk's vision for the future of space exploration. The spacecraft is engineered to be fully reusable, a game-changer that aligns with SpaceX's commitment to reducing the costs associated with space travel. Designed to outperform the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets, Starship aims to tackle a spectrum of missions, including satellite delivery, supporting the Starlink constellation, crewed spaceflight, lunar missions, and ultimately, facilitating interplanetary voyages to Mars and beyond.

At the heart of Starship's power are clusters of Raptor rocket engines, fueled by a combination of liquid methane and liquid oxygen. The choice of stainless steel as the primary construction material reflects a strategic decision, deviating from previous designs. This robust material ensures durability and reusability, key factors in achieving the economic sustainability of space travel. The spacecraft comprises two main components: the Starship upper stage, capable of carrying up to 100 passengers or 100 tons of cargo, and the Super Heavy booster, providing the thrust necessary to escape Earth's gravitational pull.

Starship's development is characterized by an iterative and incremental approach, marked by frequent and often destructive test flights of prototype vehicles. Commencing in 2016 under the moniker BFR (Big Falcon Rocket), the journey has been marked by numerous trials and tribulations. Prototypes like Starhopper, SN1, SN3, SN8, and others have faced a series of challenges, from pressure test failures to mid-air explosions. Despite setbacks, SpaceX's commitment to innovation is evident in the iterative testing approach, pushing the boundaries of what is technologically possible.

The development timeline is punctuated by notable milestones and setbacks. From the explosive end of early prototypes to the groundbreaking high-altitude flights of SN5 and SN6, each test informs the refinement of subsequent iterations. The historic landing of SN10 in March 2021, albeit short-lived due to a landing leg failure, and the mid-air explosion of SN11 underscore the delicate balance between innovation and technical challenges.

Looking forward, Starship SN15's successful landing in May 2021 opens the door to future advancements. Anticipation surrounds the upcoming orbital flight test of SN20, paired with the Super Heavy booster BN3. However, the project has not been without its critics, who cite technical difficulties, regulatory obstacles, environmental concerns, and legal disputes. Some experts question the ambitious nature of the endeavor, deeming it risky and unrealistic.

Starship's development has not only garnered significant media attention but has also become a public spectacle, thanks in part to live broadcasts of test flights. Elon Musk's involvement further amplifies the project's profile, drawing enthusiasts and skeptics alike into the evolving narrative of space exploration.

Hot staging puts a ton of stress on that. I bet they go back to normal staging when they want better odds of landing it.

So far great test.

Reactions: noleclone2
Definitely did better second test. Fun watching the stats. I could tell things were not going right as the km slowed and speed increased. It’s trajectory was off and not space bound.

Definitely did better second test. Fun watching the stats. I could tell things were not going right as the km slowed and speed increased. It’s trajectory was off and not space bound.
From what I heard they hit the planned destination which was just below orbit, but the lost the upper stage shortly after.

What an amazing test. Can't wait for the next one.

I dont care what the color of his skin or his nationality. I am a fan of science and engineering.

On that measure this was fantastic
To me the problem comes in the promise of the rocket. Musk claims it will settle the moon. That's a claim so absurd that we might as well call it a lie. Musk also claims it will ferry hundreds of people at a time anywhere in the world within hours. Another lie. Even his claims of it being 100% reusable is a lie. And now US tax payers are dumping $5 billion into this thing which makes nationality a legit concern.

This thing has done things no other rocket has done before, so there is scientific merit. But at the end of the day it's really just a vanity project.

The Starship Super Heavy booster lifted off from Starbase, Texas, shortly after 7 a.m. CST. Stage separation occurred but shortly there after the Super Heavy booster exploded. The Starship vehicle continued on track until shortly before it was due to shutdown its Raptor engines when the automated destruct system activated and contact with the vehicle was lost.

"...'Bit of a hiccup' with the booster"

To me the problem comes in the promise of the rocket. Musk claims it will settle the moon. That's a claim so absurd that we might as well call it a lie. Musk also claims it will ferry hundreds of people at a time anywhere in the world within hours. Another lie. Even his claims of it being 100% reusable is a lie. And now US tax payers are dumping $5 billion into this thing which makes nationality a legit concern.

This thing has done things no other rocket has done before, so there is scientific merit. But at the end of the day it's really just a vanity project.

Everything Musk does is a vanity project

Everything Musk does is a vanity project
SpaceX is burning through massive amounts of money. I'm fine with that. It's experiencing a lot of failure. I'm fine with that. Any cutting age engineering at this level would do the same.

But I'm not fine with Musk outright lying about it's capabilities to get more investors and using this as a vehicle to prop up his brand. To me, that is pure snakeoil behavior.

I dont care what the color of his skin or his nationality. I am a fan of science and engineering.

On that measure this was fantastic
It's easy to love the engineering and excitement of space advances. Don't have to love the guy or the progressive privatization and abandonment of space exploration and development as a national adventure.

Too many of the big things that Americans have been able to be proud of in the past are now becoming the toys of the rich or the territory of corporations. And yet we taxpayers still pay for them.

I'm not at all saying there's no place for private enterprise in these ventures, but I feel like we've gone too far in various arenas and don't want to see the public lose control of this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT