ADVERTISEMENT

PSA: Starship's 5th Integrated Test Flight tentatively August 10-12

We haven't sent humans beyond the moon or grown a single plant on any extraterrestrial body. Now, we are going to terraform planets? I would strongly suggest you don't huff your smoker fumes.

Not like next year, but in 1000? Sure. Forever is a mighty long time. So when people like you say “X will never happen.” I cringe. Do you know how long forever is? How about 10,000 years from now? Maybe possible, maybe?

Not like next year, but in 1000? Sure. Forever is a mighty long time. So when people like you say “X will never happen.” I cringe. Do you know how long forever is? How about 10,000 years from now? Maybe possible, maybe?
Sure. There might be a Dyson star in the milky way in 1 kazillion years. But your boy Elon, you and I won't have any damn thing to do with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/interestin..._app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1

Sure. There might be a Dyson star in the milky way in 1 kazillion years. But you're boy Elon, you and I won't have any damn thing to do with it.
GOHOX69-

We will go to the Moon and Mars and colonize both within your lifetime unless you are a boomer. If you are, too bad you don’t get to see it.

Using homosexual behavior as a form of hateful slur / insult is pretty bigoted of you dude.

@Huey Grey & @NoleATL care to reign in this bigot?
You're a freaking loon. Everyone knows of your unhealthy man crush on Musk. That isn't bigoted. That's a fact!

Your hero is one of the biggest racists and homophobic bigots on the planet. And you want our gay users to defend you? Do you not have a scintilla of shame?

Get some help man. The only bigot is you!

Last edited:
Another good article on the spaceX process.

So what was that? Was Starship’s launch a failure or a success?

Excerpt for those who won't click the link and read:

"
For a general audience who sees NASA at work, an agency that can't afford to fail, this looks like failure. NASA failures often involve the loss of human life or billion-dollar satellites. So yeah, government explosions are bad.

But this was not that. For those who know a bit more about the launch industry and the iterative design methodology, getting the Super Heavy rocket and Starship upper stage off the launch pad was a huge success.

Why? Because one could sit in meetings for ages and discuss everything that could go wrong with a rocket like this, with an unprecedented number of first stage engines and its colossal size. The alternative is simply to get the rocket into a "good enough" configuration and go fly. Flying is the ultimate test, providing the best data. There is no more worrying about theoretical failures. The company's engineers actually get to identify what is wrong and then go and fix it. But you have to accept some failure.

So SpaceX's process is messier, but it is also much faster. Consider this: NASA spent billions of dollars and the better part of a decade constructing the Space Launch System rocket that had a nearly flawless debut flight—aside from damage to the launch tower—in late 2022. NASA followed a linear design method, complete with extensive and expensive analysis, because a failure of the SLS rocket would have raised serious questions about the agency's competence.

Fortunately for SpaceX, the company can afford to "fail." It can do so because it has already built three more Super Heavy rockets that are nearly ready to fly. In fact, SpaceX can build 10 Super Heavy first stages in the time it takes NASA to build a single SLS rocket. If the first five fail but the next five succeed, which is a better outcome? How about in two or three years, when SpaceX is launching and landing a dozen or more Super Heavy rockets while NASA's method allows it a single launch a year?

So, yes, SpaceX's rocket exploded on Thursday. The company will learn. And it will fly again, perhaps sometime later this fall or winter. Soon, it probably will be flying frequently.

When SpaceX irons out all of these issues, we'll be left with the world's largest fully reusable rocket. This will forever change humanity's relationship with the cosmos—for better (in terms of access) or potentially worse (in terms of space junk)."

Haha, what? Ignoramus.
Let's get ya on the next rackit to Mars. All you Elon fan boys can go colonize it. We got at least 2 mensa astronuts on here.

I don't even know how to spell rocket or astronauts. Oops.

• Haha
Reactions: Flie
Another good article on the spaceX process.

So what was that? Was Starship’s launch a failure or a success?

Excerpt for those who won't click the link and read:

"
For a general audience who sees NASA at work, an agency that can't afford to fail, this looks like failure. NASA failures often involve the loss of human life or billion-dollar satellites. So yeah, government explosions are bad.

But this was not that. For those who know a bit more about the launch industry and the iterative design methodology, getting the Super Heavy rocket and Starship upper stage off the launch pad was a huge success.

Why? Because one could sit in meetings for ages and discuss everything that could go wrong with a rocket like this, with an unprecedented number of first stage engines and its colossal size. The alternative is simply to get the rocket into a "good enough" configuration and go fly. Flying is the ultimate test, providing the best data. There is no more worrying about theoretical failures. The company's engineers actually get to identify what is wrong and then go and fix it. But you have to accept some failure.

So SpaceX's process is messier, but it is also much faster. Consider this: NASA spent billions of dollars and the better part of a decade constructing the Space Launch System rocket that had a nearly flawless debut flight—aside from damage to the launch tower—in late 2022. NASA followed a linear design method, complete with extensive and expensive analysis, because a failure of the SLS rocket would have raised serious questions about the agency's competence.

Fortunately for SpaceX, the company can afford to "fail." It can do so because it has already built three more Super Heavy rockets that are nearly ready to fly. In fact, SpaceX can build 10 Super Heavy first stages in the time it takes NASA to build a single SLS rocket. If the first five fail but the next five succeed, which is a better outcome? How about in two or three years, when SpaceX is launching and landing a dozen or more Super Heavy rockets while NASA's method allows it a single launch a year?

So, yes, SpaceX's rocket exploded on Thursday. The company will learn. And it will fly again, perhaps sometime later this fall or winter. Soon, it probably will be flying frequently.

When SpaceX irons out all of these issues, we'll be left with the world's largest fully reusable rocket. This will forever change humanity's relationship with the cosmos—for better (in terms of access) or potentially worse (in terms of space junk)."

This is correct. At the number of launches SLS is currently slated for, its about 4 billion spent per launch. Starship will launch an order a magnitude more times for a fraction of the cost.

Starship also carries about 2x the payload SLS can.

Hahahaha. That guy is doing stuff as a citizen never seen before and pushing advancements in society but has had failures along the path.

Let's all laugh at him while calling ourselves progressives because of identity politics!

Jesus boys, I'm the gun nut, truck driving, use gasoline as a cleaning product, "dem battery cars iz ghey" republican and even I laugh at how butthurt you guys get over this guy.

He single handled got Ukraine the internet, in wartime, faster than any other resource could have possibly imagined and within the week you bitches were crying because he said something about a ****ing politician.

Have some perspective chaps.

Also, SLS/Orion can't land on the Moon. That's why they are paying SpaceX for the HLS version of Starship.
So now Elon's phallic rocket is for the moon, not Mars? Got it.

FYI, Orion isn't meant to land on the moon. See, for example, here:

Oh yes we will, Luddite
LOL...I'm no Luddite but I am practical. A fly-by...maybe a landing on Mars. There might never be a colony on Mars. We're facing a crisis that literally threatens civilization and it's not going away because we want to send humans to live on Mars. We're also doing very little to confront that crisis in anything approaching a timely manner.

LOL...I'm no Luddite but I am practical. A fly-by...maybe a landing on Mars. There might never be a colony on Mars. We're facing a crisis that literally threatens civilization and it's not going away because we want to send humans to live on Mars. We're also doing very little to confront that crisis in anything approaching a timely manner.
Did it ever occur to you, oh practical one, that knowledge of what actually happened on Mars could very well assist us in solving our Earthbound “crisis that literally threatens civilization?”

You “Earth First, Only and Forever” worshippers need to adopt a broader perspective. Earth is not an island unto itself. What happens (and has happened) in the rest of the solar system affects our planet. It isn’t Earth separate from the rest of the Universe. Earth, and all of us, are part of the Universe. We should explore the rest of it.

Did it ever occur to you, oh practical one, that knowledge of what actually happened on Mars could very well assist us in solving our Earthbound “crisis that literally threatens civilization?”

You “Earth First, Only and Forever” worshippers need to adopt a broader perspective. Earth is not an island unto itself. What happens (and has happened) in the rest of the solar system affects our planet. It isn’t Earth separate from the rest of the Universe. Earth, and all of us, are part of the Universe. We should explore the rest of it.
Interesting that you adopt the ad hominem while demonstrating that you have no idea what you're talking about. What happened to Mars is specific to Mars. The planet was too small to maintain an active core and lost it's magnetic field billions of years ago. Absent that protective barrier, the solar wind stripped away the atmosphere over millennia. Not one bit of that has anything to do with Earth.

We KNOW what's causing our problem - we just refuse to do anything substantive about it. The Earth IS an island and we're steadily chipping away at our ability to prosper on it...and there are no other islands available.

As for the rest of that garbage, I'd love to see a permanent human presence on Mars - absent any ethical issues it might present. I just happen to not think we'll be able to accomplish it.

Reactions: BelemNole
So now Elon's phallic rocket is for the moon, not Mars? Got it.

FYI, Orion isn't meant to land on the moon. See, for example, here:

It is for both. It has multiple versions. This is my industry.

I know Orion can't land, that's why I said what I said.

Huh?

Mars lost it's atmosphere, because its internal dynamo (more than likely due to decay of radioactive elements) stopped. Protective magnetic field disappears, and the solar wind starts to literally blow it's atmosphere into space, towards the asteroid belt.

The amount of energy needed to "regenerate" a planetary magnetic field would probably be well above the entirety of energy we currently make, from all sources. Not sure we're gonna "learn" much on Mars about this.

Now, humans could live underground on Mars or Earth for quite a long time, even if the geomagnetic field of Earth disappears. But that's not gonna be much of an existence in the long run.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Huh?

Mars lost it's atmosphere, because its internal dynamo (more than likely due to decay of radioactive elements) stopped. Protective magnetic field disappears, and the solar wind starts to literally blow it's atmosphere into space, towards the asteroid belt.

The amount of energy needed to "regenerate" a planetary magnetic field would probably be well above the entirety of energy we currently make, from all sources. Not sure we're gonna "learn" much on Mars about this.

Now, humans could live underground on Mars or Earth for quite a long time, even if the geomagnetic field of Earth disappears. But that's not gonna be much of an existence in the long run.
We would have to fight the lizard people living underground ;)

Interesting that you adopt the ad hominem while demonstrating that you have no idea what you're talking about. What happened to Mars is specific to Mars. The planet was too small to maintain an active core and lost it's magnetic field billions of years ago. Absent that protective barrier, the solar wind stripped away the atmosphere over millennia. Not one bit of that has anything to do with Earth.

We KNOW what's causing our problem - we just refuse to do anything substantive about it. The Earth IS an island and we're steadily chipping away at our ability to prosper on it...and there are no other islands available.

As for the rest of that garbage, I'd love to see a permanent human presence on Mars - absent any ethical issues it might present. I just happen to not think we'll be able to accomplish it.
Wrong, wrong and again - wrong. I learned long ago not to attempt a debate with the “Earth is an isolated island- it’s all we got“ crowd, so I won’t try to persuade you in this intellectual vacuum. You Earth-firsters can just stay on this 3rd rock from the sun and cling to your misguided and counter-productive “ethics,” such as they are. Others will go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT