ADVERTISEMENT

PSU fan here

Jul 28, 2011
Let me start by saying I rarely post on here but always read. I sincerely feel bad for all the Iowa wrestlers and all the fans, even the crazy ones. Iowa was definitely gonna win the National Title this season and I feel terrible for Pat Lugo and Spencer Lee in particular. Maybe the NCAA will not count this seasons eligibility and restore all eligibility to what it was prior to the start of the season. Robbing Spencer Lee of 4 Titles would be insane. Peace my friends.

Thanks, I feel pretty deflated about this. really thought the hawks could bring in their first national title in 10 years. Hope they give everyone an additional year of eligibility

That is what you would hope would happen, but how will that work? What about a 5th year senior? Does he have to go to class, etc., etc.

If you took a red shirt this year, to wait behind someone who is now coming back, do you get it back? It's hard to even project all the different things that will have to be decided upon.
It is going to be really interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: shobart
Let me start by saying I rarely post on here but always read. I sincerely feel bad for all the Iowa wrestlers and all the fans, even the crazy ones. Iowa was definitely gonna win the National Title this season and I feel terrible for Pat Lugo and Spencer Lee in particular. Maybe the NCAA will not count this seasons eligibility and restore all eligibility to what it was prior to the start of the season. Robbing Spencer Lee of 4 Titles would be insane. Peace my friends.

Nicely said. I feel sorry for everyone who went through the grueling season without finals.

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
That is what you would hope would happen, but how will that work? What about a 5th year senior? Does he have to go to class, etc., etc.

If you took a red shirt this year, to wait behind someone who is now coming back, do you get it back? It's hard to even project all the different things that will have to be decided upon.
It is really going to be interesting and outside of something like pushing it back a month or something to actually have a tourney, I am having a hard time envisioning a solution where “everyone wins”. Heck, seniors may be ready to move on, seniors come back and a RS freshman is stuck having to RS again and not happy about it even with extra year of eligibility.....all sorts of scenarios and I can’t see that “everyone wins” scenario. Ugh. Just flat out sucks.

Thanks PA. Iowa was favored but not a definite. The one match I wanted to see one more time more than any this year was Cenzo vs Bull. I could watch those two wrestle 50 times and not get tired of it.

Certainly not perfect but similar to the olympic redshirt in that its an unexpected extra year of eligibility. I hope something is done and its not just next year as usual

Reactions: Mendoza77
Minneapolis was set to host a wonderful event, too. They have hosted a Super Bowl, the Final 4 and the X Games in that stadium; it would have been a great weekend for all fans and for all wrestlers. When you walk into that building it's hard for your jaw to not drop as you look around.

It's a shame.

I worry, too, about the ripple effect into the economy. For just this one event, you have the employees of the stadium, of bars, restaurants, hotels, airlines, etc.all impacted by this cancellation. And as we have seen all day, there are tons of postponements and cancellations of other events that involve a crowd (concerts, NBA, MLB, MLS, etc).

Probably a good thread for a Gopher fan to piggy back on and also say he truly feels bad for you guys. A damn solid lineup up and down. I blame @MitchLL for all of this because he has consistently said Gable Steveson wouldn't win a national title! You found a way MitchLL, you found a way...
Lol. That’s pretty funny. Damn you, Mitch!!

Probably a good thread for a Gopher fan to piggy back on and also say he truly feels bad for you guys. A damn solid lineup up and down. I blame @MitchLL for all of this because he has consistently said Gable Steveson wouldn't win a national title! You found a way MitchLL, you found a way...
Thanks?

Anyway...I think GS wins a title. I always thought Kerk would beat him, but I've changed my mind. Any kid that identifies with four different programs before he even wrestles his first college math is either a head case or being controlled by an overbearing parent. Or both. I don't care that each move had a different reason.

But that's a discussion for next season.

Having another bad post season as a team, following another sub par regular season could have been the nail in Eggum's coffin HC gig. This cancellation probably gives him next year.

Thanks, I feel pretty deflated about this. really thought the hawks could bring in their first national title in 10 years. Hope they give everyone an additional year of eligibility

I sort of agree with you, but that would create chaos with team's scholarship situations and it would mean that all of the weights next year would be UNBELIEVABLY stacked! 133, for example, even without allowing seniors to return, is going to be INSANE next year. Medaling at that weight will be a major accomplishment--an eighth place finisher at that weight next year, even without returning seniors, is going to be a challenge for really, really good wrestlers. Think about it:

2020 133 lb. seniors possibly given extra year of eligibility:

Charles Tucker
Travis Piotrowski
Seth Gross

2020 Olympic redshirts returning:

Dayton Fix
Nick Suriano
Stevan Micic

2020 underclassmen returning:

RBY
Austin DeSanto
Sebastian Rivera
Mickey Phillippi

Even without allowing 2020 seniors an extra year, 133 is going to be loaded. With those wrestlers back? The match for 7th/8th would probably have better wrestlers than some other weights for 3rd/4th. And that's not taking into account relatively unknown young wrestlers who might improve dramatically next year and become part of the mix.

Reactions: depelland
I sort of agree with you, but that would create chaos with team's scholarship situations and it would mean that all of the weights next year would be UNBELIEVABLY stacked! 133, for example, even without allowing seniors to return, is going to be INSANE next year. Medaling at that weight will be a major accomplishment--an eighth place finisher at that weight next year, even without returning seniors, is going to be a challenge for really, really good wrestlers. Think about it:

Charles Tucker
Travis Piotrowski
Seth Gross

Dayton Fix
Nick Suriano
Stevan Micic

RBY
Austin DeSanto
Sebastian Rivera
Mickey Phillippi

Even without allowing 2020 seniors an extra year, 133 is going to be loaded. With those wrestlers back? The match for 7th/8th would probably have better wrestlers than some other weights for 3rd/4th. And that's not taking into account relatively unknown young wrestlers who might improve dramatically next year and become part of the mix.

suriano done with college.

Reactions: Eternal Return

Charles Tucker
Travis Piotrowski
Seth Gross

Dayton Fix
Nick Suriano
Stevan Micic

RBY
Austin DeSanto
Sebastian Rivera
Mickey Phillippi

Seth Gross going full Jess Settles.

Reactions: Eternal Return
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT