ADVERTISEMENT

Thank goodness the pain is over

Might go down as one of the most frustrating seasons I can remember in a long while and there’s been plenty of them. Not a very exciting team and have very few talented players and the athleticism is much to be desired . Time to clean house and start over as Fran has worn his time out here… I am not sure why people think Iowa is going to be that much different next season? I just don’t see it… very frustrating season that’s for sure.
Yeah, it was frustrating to see Perkins and Sandfort have such poor scoring games. I admit I thought about the game earlier in the day then was doing some other things so I only saw the last 10 minutes.

It seems Fran just isnt using a lot of screens etc to get Sandfort open. Am I wrong on that?

I've seen much worse. Freshmen are frustrating to watch, but there is hope for the future. Frustrating is when you have seniors that underperform. Next year will be better but if you think Iowa has a budding national championship team, well, you will be very disappointed. It's tough seeing Illinois getting to put together a team every decade or so that can make a serious run at it.
No one is saying national championship! Most fans want to see a sweet 16 run. How can you do that when you don’t even make the tournament. Fran needs to go but Barta the gift that keeps on giving somehow gave him another extension before he bounced. I feel that this program is still stuck in the 90s. Tom Davis curse continues! At least we’re not Nebraska right!

No one is saying national championship! Most fans want to see a sweet 16 run. How can you do that when you don’t even make the tournament. Fran needs to go but Barta the gift that keeps on giving somehow gave him another extension before he bounced. I feel that this program is still stuck in the 90s. Tom Davis curse continues! At least we’re not Nebraska right!
I didn't mean to imply that people were, but it would be nice to have a team that might be able to make a run every once in a while. A team that can make it to the sweet 16, because they are good and not lucky, could make a run at a title if they are playing well. It happens almost every year with a mid-major school, although this year looks like that's not going to be the case.

Fran is not going to get fired, unless there is a total collapse next year, but there won't be. Whether you wanted him or not, my GUESS is that DeVries sent out some feelers about Iowa and was told don't wait around, so he went to WVU. The next Iowa coach will take over after Fran quits.

50e712327227aa228bde91e59d9e4d35.gif

And yet, in 3 seasons Dewey Oxburger has Iowa State in 2 Sweet 16's and is a legitimate threat to make the Final Four. And he took over a team that had won 2 games. But somehow it's just not possible to have results like that at Iowa.

I am sick to death of the defeatist attitude of some of our fan base.
This times 1,000,000.
If clown U can recruit players there is no reason Iowa can’t. It falls on recruiting and Fran whiffs a lot. Time for some new blood and new direction.

Iowa is absolutely a middle of the pack (probably slightly lower with Oregon, USC, and UCLA) big ten program. There would be good up and coming candidates that would be interested.

It’s time.

Iowa basketball is Charmin soft. That is not the Iowa way. Get a coach who can find players who aren’t soft. I’m sick of it.
Watching other NCAA games you can easily see toughness. Toughness isn't whining to the refs. Players have it or they don't and are recruited for it along with their other basketball skills. Look at Illinois. Their players reflect their coach. Iowa's players aren't tough and when they go up against a tough team they get beat.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Watching other NCAA games you can easily see toughness. Toughness isn't whining to the refs. Players have it or they don't and are recruited for it along with their other basketball skills. Look at Illinois. Their players reflect their coach. Iowa's players aren't tough and when they go up against a tough team they get beat.
Funny thing is that is what I thought Fran was all about when he came to Iowa. Remember him slamming the chair at Michigan State because the team getting pushed around by the Spartans? I thought that's what Iowa was going to become. Aside from a few players over the years, that has not become Iowa's culture under Fran.

Reactions: intrepodor
There is no doubt that Fran fatigue has settled into most of the fan base. And watching the coaches and players last night it looked like were tired of this season as well. It was simply a very long, frustrating year for everyone.

Recruiting. Ugh. Of the 9 guys that played meaningful minutes last night, 5 came from less than 2 hours away. A 6th one is from Iowa, just further away. Iowa has no "recruiting reach" whatsoever.

I'm ready to turn the page, but I see no hope that Beth is.

Hopefully the AD understands that there may be NIL funds available for BB if a new coach was in place. Guessing there is not a lot of incentive to give money to a BB program that doesn't appear to want to adapt and improve

Reactions: intrepodor
Personally (if not dead) really looking forward to 2027. Surely McCaffery will be gone by then.

Was it just me or were Perkins and Fran both checked out last night? Neither seemed to really be giving much effort. Fran has been chill for quite awhile now.
Word is that Tony is injured.
Fran could be feeling the effects of all the negative narrative going on about his family from fans and though he still wants to coach is showing a poor attitude for it.
Remember when he used to lose control years ago? that's even been tempered.
Maybe by the AD or negative things going on in his life right now.

Word is that Tony is injured.
Fran could be feeling the effects of all the negative narrative going on about his family from fans and though he still wants to coach is showing a poor attitude for it.
Remember when he used to lose control years ago? that's even been tempered.
Maybe by the AD or negative things going on in his life right now.
see bold. If so, then why the sam hill did he play 25+/- minutes. McCaffery has done this before with other players. Do not understand.

see bold. If so, then why the sam hill did he play 25+/- minutes. McCaffery has done this before with other players. Do not understand.
Just posting what I seen on this site.
You'll have to ask Fran the minutes question when you get a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT