ADVERTISEMENT

Putting the Contenders "Over the Top"

slushhead

HR All-American
Mar 10, 2014
A little exercise, for f*n . . .

The team title for 2019-20 is expected to be hotly contested. For sake of this exercise, let's assume the current "Big 4" (i.e., PSU, OhSt, Iowa, OkSt) are the contenders. Hypothetically, let's say each contender believes it is just one guy short of being a solid favorite. For each of the "Big 4" teams, who would you add to the roster via transfer from another D1 team* to put that contender "over the top" (or at least, maximize its chances at the team title)? Let's do this 2 ways:

A. Take a guy only from a team outside the "Big 4".

B. Take a guy from only one of the other "Big 4" teams.

Part B could be especially interesting, as you are not only filling a need, but also taking away from another contender. To avoid complexity, assume for Part B that each team makes its move in isolation (i.e., the team selects a guy as though it is the only team making a move -- it does not make a selection on the basis of countering moves by the other contenders).

Feel free to copy-paste this format for listing your selections:

Part A
Iowa:
PSU:
OhSt:
OKSt:

Part B
Iowa:
PSU:
OhSt:
OKSt:

* Selections have to be guys with 2019-20 eligibility (you may include guys believed to be applying for 6th year awards).

Last edited:
I'll start posting the current, expected lineup for each Big 4 team in this space for ease of reference.

Iowa
125: Lee
133: DeSanto/Renteria
141: Murin/Renteria
149: Lugo
157: Young
165: Marinelli
174: Kemerer
184: Wilcke
197: Warner
285: Cassiopi

PSU
125: Teske
133: RBY
141: Lee
149: Verkleeren
157: Berge
165: Joseph
174: Hall
184: Brooks/Rasheed
197: Beard/Conel
285: S.Nevills/Cassar

OhSt
125: Heinselman
133: Pletcher
141: Kinner/Stickley/Felix
149: Sasso
157: Hayes
165: Smith/Romero
174: Jordan
184: Hoffman
197: Moore
285: Singletary

OkSt
125: Piccininni
133: Fix
141: Brock/Gfeller
149: Gfeller/Lewallen
157: Shomers/Sheets
165: Smith
174: Wittlake
184: Geer/Montalvo
197: Geer/Marsden/Harris
285: Streck

Please do chime in if I screw up anything here.

Last edited:
A: Yianni to tOSU (**Yianni to anyone is an improvement) With tOSU losing a top 3 in McKenna, this would be a huge difference maker for tOSU points in March.

B. Spencer to PSU (**same comment) This one would be a game changer for both teams and the asterisk to the title chase.

That said: neither of these things has a chance in h$!! of happening.

I only care about Iowa, so:

A: Yianni replaces Murin. No brainier. Murin scored 2 points last year. Yianni scored 20 and will score more next year.

B. Brooks/Rasheed replaces Wilcke. Wilcke scored 2.5 points last year (8.5 in his sterling 3-year career). We whiffed on not going after Brooks. If Myles had another year I'd consider him instead, but we need points from Penn State. Of course they would still have the guy we didn't take :)

Man, the more I look at this, the more I really like Iowa’s lineup. 141 would be the obvious slot if you are going mercenary, but I have a hard time after that.

125: Lee. You aren’t picking over a guy that is 2for2 regardless of Rivera last season

133: DeSanto. I guess you should probably go Suriano or Fix, but he has shown he is right there with them. Not a move I would make if any other choice was available.

141: Murin. I really like his grit. Another year may get him on the podium. Still, 141 has Yianni and then another tier clearly above him with Eierman and Lee. He should be battling it out with the likes Of McKee, Demas and Red to get into the next tier. Obviously everyone takes Yianni here or steals Lee from PSU.

149: Lugo. Add a decent takedown from space and he truly has a chance to be a finalist at probably the most wide open weight next season. The clear top guys graduate with a lot of underclass men stepping into the top 8.

157: Young. With 3 of the 4 ahead of him graduating, he is sitting pretty. I still really like Hidlay and Deakin looked to be back to his early season form At the Open, but he is right there for a top 3 finish.

165: Marinelli. He is the best guy going into his Junior season, having finished 6,7, that there has ever been. He may not have got it done in March, but I would have a hard time picking anyone over him to only see him finally break through next season.

174: Kemerer. Health and rust makes me put him behind the top tier-Zahid, Hall and Amine. Time will tell, but I would probably only replace him with Zahid if forced. If Zahid ends up being at 184, I would stick with Mikey.

184: Wilcke. This weight would be the hardest for me. Dean is the highest returner, but I didn’t feel Dean was clearly better after their match. 184 is going to be a lot like 149 in that it looks wide open and Wilcke should finally reach the podium.

197: Warner. Moore would be the obvious choice here, but 197 is wide open after him.

285: Cass. 285 is shaping up to be a buzzsaw weight and it would be really hard not to take Cassar or Steveson, but Cass can beat anyone after that making it not the best weight to make a change.

Last edited:
Part A(outside the big 4)
Iowa: Biggest room for upgrade is 141 and 184. Yianni is the obvious choice.

PSU: 125 is their biggest need. Since having to pick from outside the big 4, going to go with Jack Mueller.

OhSt: just like Iowa, they would benefit greatly from Yianni at 141

OKSt: 157 and hwt are what they need. I will go with Hidlay.

Part B(from big 4 only)

PSU: no brainer here. They take "the field" at 125 from the Hawks.( +22 points forPSU, -22 for Iowa, 44 pt swing)

Iowa, OhSt, and OkSt all need to find the trade that both increases their points while taking away the most possible from PSU. With that in mind I see this as the best options:

Iowa: I don't think taking a 184 from PSU hurts them. I think Brooks is every bit as good(possibly better) than Rasheed. I think we need to swap either 141 or HWT. I'm going with taking Cassar from PSU. Stealing the returning champ I feel is maximizing Iowa's points and taking away the most from PSU. While Big Cass has the potential to be a force, in the context of winning this year, I have to go with the reigning champ. (30 point swing)

OhSt: taking Mark Hall at 174 seems like the best option for them. Nick Lee at 141 would also be a good option.(34 point swing)

OKSt:174 or HWT would be their best choices. I'll go HWT.(40 pt swing)

who is the best at each weight from the big 4

125: Iowa, Okie st, Ohio st, PSU
133: Okie st, Iowa, Ohio st, PSU(I'll take DeSanto over Pletcher and RBY)
141: PSU, Okie st, Iowa, Ohio st
149: Iowa, Ohio st, Okie st, PSU(I could see Sasso being the best but for now I'll take Lugo)
157: Iowa, PSU, Ohio st, Okie st
165: Iowa, PSU, Okie st. Ohio st
174: PSU, Iowa, Okie st, Ohio st
184: PSU, Okie st, Iowa, Ohio st
197: Ohio st, Iowa, PSU, Okie st
285: PSU, Iowa, Ohio st, Okie st

I understand there is a lot to sort out and this is just my opinion.
Iowa PSU Okie Ohio st
1's=4(4) 4(4) 1(1) 1(1)
2's=4(8) 2(4) 3(6) 1(2)
3's=2(6) 1(3) 3(9) 4(12)
4's=0(0) 3(12) 3(12) 4(16)
total=18 23 29 31

Iowa wins the golf score therefore wins the national ship!

I'll start posting the current, expected lineup for each Big 4 team in this space for ease of reference.
my 2 cents=I think Fix redshirts next year which allows Brock back down to natural weight where he is a 2X AA. I think we see Hayes down to 141, I see Wittlake at 165 maybe even 157 before 174.
Iowa
125: Lee
133: DeSanto/Renteria
141: Murin/Renteria
149: Lugo
157: Young
165: Marinelli
174: Kemerer
184: Wilcke
197: Warner
285: Cassiopi

PSU
125: Teske
133: RBY
141: Lee
149: Verkleeren
157: Berge
165: Joseph
174: Hall
184: Brooks/Rasheed
197: Beard/Conel
285: S.Nevills/Cassar

OhSt
125: Heinselman
133: Pletcher
141: Kinner/Stickley/Felix
149: Sasso
157: Hayes
165: Smith/Romero
174: Jordan
184: Hoffman
197: Moore
285: Singletary

OkSt
125: Piccininni
133: Fix
141: Brock/Gfeller
149: Gfeller/Lewallen
157: Shomers/Sheets
165: Smith
174: Wittlake
184: Geer/Montalvo
197: Geer/Marsden/Harris
285: Streck

Please do chime in if I screw up anything here.

Lincoln Hawk for Bull Hurley. That would put things over the top for anyone.

Yep, I was wondering how quickly someone would go there. ;)

my 2 cents=I think Fix redshirts next year which allows Brock back down to natural weight where he is a 2X AA. I think we see Hayes down to 141, I see Wittlake at 165 maybe even 157 before 174.

I considered throwing in redshirt options for Lee, Fix, and Hall, but figured that might introduce too much complexity. But point taken.

Hayes back down to 141? I agree 157 is too big for him, but is 141 still reachable?

Yep, I was wondering how quickly someone would go there. ;)

I considered throwing in redshirt options for Lee, Fix, and Hall, but figured that might introduce too much complexity. But point taken.

Hayes back down to 141? I agree 157 is too big for him, but is 141 still reachable?
I don't remember where I heard it but rumor is Hayes is going back down to 41.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT