ADVERTISEMENT

PWO strategic roster theory

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
With all the walk ons joining the prorgram this year I got to thinking about the strategy behind it and where some of these players may end up. It has been mentioned that some of the walk ons seem like they are more than your average walk on material. Of course this is what this program is always on the lookout for, but the volume of players and the numbers some of them have posted indicate that several of them could be major contributors. I'll just single out 4 who I think will be such contributors. They may not pan out, while others very easily could.

• Luke Empen
  • Mithchell Riggs
  • John Carlson
  • Mike Timm
I think the program is trying to bolster depth at key positions and do so with those whom they dont immediately need to allocate scholarships to. This way a full class of players on the full ride radar can be taken while we develop future scholarship guys from the walk on ranks. The 4 I mentioned had very decent stats and/or developmental frames as do others. Riggs was considered the best player on his team while we took a teammate rated 4 stars on a scholarship. Iowa can bring them in at a "bargain" and prepare to put them on scholarship when inevitable attrition takes place. Meanwhile we can still get a full regular class.

Reactions: VicHawkeye
Man, there some really good players in that group. I can just imagine the pads a cracking in practice with this group and the regular scholarship players.

I think in past years these fellas would be late additions to the class but with the recruiting success we've had outstate there just are not the rides available to these targets. We were likely one earlier verbal from Jewel only offered PWO status.
Yep. Another testament to just how difficult recruiting really is.

great for us that recruiting interest never picked up on these guys and we can provide an avenue for them to succeed. i dont know why some of them were missed, but Iowa benefits as well. we get legit FBS potential on top of our scholarship class.

With all the walk ons joining the prorgram this year I got to thinking about the strategy behind it and where some of these players may end up. It has been mentioned that some of the walk ons seem like they are more than your average walk on material. Of course this is what this program is always on the lookout for, but the volume of players and the numbers some of them have posted indicate that several of them could be major contributors. I'll just single out 4 who I think will be such contributors. They may not pan out, while others very easily could.

• Luke Empen
  • Mithchell Riggs
  • John Carlson
  • Mike Timm
I think the program is trying to bolster depth at key positions and do so with those whom they dont immediately need to allocate scholarships to. This way a full class of players on the full ride radar can be taken while we develop future scholarship guys from the walk on ranks. The 4 I mentioned had very decent stats and/or developmental frames as do others. Riggs was considered the best player on his team while we took a teammate rated 4 stars on a scholarship. Iowa can bring them in at a "bargain" and prepare to put them on scholarship when inevitable attrition takes place. Meanwhile we can still get a full regular class.

You are predicting 3 PWO LB's to make it. Hope your are right, but would be happy with one or two. If we have 15 PWO's, my guess would be for no more than 3 of them to earn a schollie.

To some this might seem somewhat unfair to the walk-ons, in that they may be deserving of scholarships... however, each made his choice and if there ever is a school where walk-ons are given the opportunity to succeed, Iowa would be at the top of the list!

You are predicting 3 PWO LB's to make it. Hope your are right, but would be happy with one or two. If we have 15 PWO's, my guess would be for no more than 3 of them to earn a schollie.
I actually see John Carlson becoming a tight end. His receiving numbers were good. I also see Nick Anderson as a DL project. Of course Nate Nelson has good pedigree and the OL walk ons have good size. There are many intangibles no one can predict now, and many different kinds of significant contribution. I could see 5+ earning scholarships. Maybe some stars will emerge. Wouldnt be the first time!

Iowa has had pretty good luck with walk-ons contributing at TE, FB, and LB. Thus, getting LB-types are ideal ... because they're the ones who have the position flexibility to "fit" at those positions.

If you even look at recent history, guys like Perry, Ward, and Bower all ended up getting scholarships. Thus, preferred walk-ons understand that Iowa isn't just giving their walk-ons lip-service ... they know that there is real opportunity for them if they can go out and seize it.

Anyhow, given the transition at LB and given that Kulick graduated and we need to replenish our depth at FB ... I can definitely see some of the LB-types working out.

Of course, as it relates to walk-on OL-types ... recent history also shines favorably upon their chances of gaining opportunities too. Croston and Myers, among others, are guys who have made the most of their opportunities ... and we obviously have a long tradition of walk-ons doing well on the OL too.

New walk on. 100 career pins in wrestling. Wow!

brian-sadler-e1487448489346.png

More info link: https://iawrestle.com/2018/01/30/top-ranked-heavyweight-brian-sadler-commits-to-kirk-ferentz/

Reactions: Harbinger273
We are very weak at the LB positions and might pull a rabbit or two out of the hat. Additionally, in today's game, recruiting FB's is not really necessary as very few teams use them.

We are very weak at the LB positions and might pull a rabbit or two out of the hat. Additionally, in today's game, recruiting FB's is not really necessary as very few teams use them.
I dont think id say we are very weak at backer. We've brought in some guys that will be very capable of fighting for time at the position in the future. Some will find spots elsewhere. 16 pwo's is quite a few. we should get 4 to 5 fullbacks out of the class.

total walk on number now at 20. Some of these LB size guys could easily become D Linemen. New kid from Clear Lake Just signed on too.

Trey Winters will join the Walk On class this afternoon per Chad Leistikow. He should help tip the scales in our favor for 2018 and beyond!

Reactions: funnyfletcher
I'm also struck by the geography of how many of the preferred walk-ons are from central Iowa ... well within the thumb-print of Iowa State's usual stomping grounds. It's nice to pull kids out of Waukee, Ankeny, Ames, Bondurant, and Des Moines (although we've traditionally done pretty well at Dowling).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT