ADVERTISEMENT

QB competition, but only for 2nd...

obfuscating

HR Legend
Jan 8, 2016
Ferentz said Lainez will compete for the number two role at Quarterback next spring and that the Iowa offense is getting at least a couple of players back from injury.

Here's the link to the statement above-

Last edited:
if I'm interviewing for the OC position and before I even start I’m being told who my starting QB will be, I’m not sure I want the job. I don’t see that being the final word. It can’t be. If it really is, how much of a difference can we expect? Shoot, we don’t even know if Cade will be healthy.

Ferentz said Lainez will compete for the number two role at Quarterback next spring and that the Iowa offense is getting at least a couple of players back from injury.
Kirk is lame to say such a thing about such a competitive sport, any sport. Wrestlers have wrestle-offs all the time. Brands has said they wrestle each other to determine who is best and that goes back to Jr high wrestling. I know the sports are carried out in a different manner but....

Can you post a link to this comment Kirk made? I just want to read it myself and maybe some of the dialog leading up to it

Cade was playing injured so I take it with a grain of salt but he didn't show me anything new to give me thought of huge upside with him.
Cade is a better passer than Hill by a lot but at the same time he might have two full knee braces on next year. Now I saw a few running backs just in bowl games with full type knee braces on and they were moving fine but you never know

Cade is a better passer than Hill by a lot but at the same time he might have two full knee braces on next year. Now I saw a few running backs just in bowl games with full type knee braces on and they were moving fine but you never know
Cade had a full year as a starter at Mich I'd hope he could pass better then someone who had no starts and wasn't even sure he get to play again when he went into the portal. Cades numbers weren't great he even looked bad passing to his own TE which I wouldn't think would be a thing.

Reactions: littlez
Any program can easily negatively recruit against Iowa’s unwillingness to play backups, two qb’s, or have an open competition at the qb position. It is the only position on the offensive side that is like this. Even in blowouts during KF’s time, the back up typically gets zero or very limited snaps.

Cade had a full year as a starter at Mich I'd hope he could pass better then someone who had no starts and wasn't even sure he get to play again when he went into the portal. Cades numbers weren't great he even looked bad passing to his own TE which I wouldn't think would be a thing.
Did you look at his stats at MIch, iirc 66+% completion percentage, he was highly noted for leading receivers on routes so they could be running as they caught the ball, he was mobile enough, they won the big 10 and Mich had better receivers than Iowa but not like the OSU list of receivers.

Cade was like Petras in that he had far less time to throw the ball due to that missing 1 second of pass protection.

Did you look at his stats at MIch, iirc 66+% completion percentage, he was highly noted for leading receivers on routes so they could be running as they caught the ball, he was mobile enough, they won the big 10 and Mich had better receivers than Iowa but not like the OSU list of receivers.

Cade was like Petras in that he had far less time to throw the ball due to that missing 1 second of pass protection.
But he knew all this coming in.
I'm only saying no one should be set in stone for starting.
If we don't improve the online then Lainez should start sully because of his feet. The passing will come from reps.

Let's be honest Cade now had 2 season ending injuries even though he is young what can you truly expect for or not fair from him

I like Kirk. He has done a phenomenal job as coach.

But he is downright terrible when it comes to quarterbacks. Any other position, you make mistakes and you are on the bench. But the QB can make mistake after mistake and be a turnover machine, and Kirk will continue to play him. It is a major flaw in an otherwise stellar coach.

If Iowa brings in the Oregon QB, I hope that ML tells KF to pound sand and portals to a school where he won't be wasted.

Glad 18yr olds can make millions playing college ball, but this is killing D1 football at its core.

I'm calling bullshit. I've been around long enough to know that this story doesn't ring true.

All of which further validates my concern that no meaningful changes will take place until Kirk retires.

I have no confidence whatsoever that this offense will reach a respectable average status at anytime so long as Kirk is in charge. Zero confidence.

If it is true that Kirk is already relegating Marco to 2 without input from the new OC and without have a full understanding of Cade's medicals which is 100% impossible at this point 3 things should happen 1) No OC worth a shit should take the job and put His neck on the line when You are already being sabotaged by the HC and getting QB1 forced down Your throat without a true competition 2) Marco should transfer out Today , and I love Lainez for what He potentially could be if given a fair shot 3) Kirk should be fired on the spot .

• Haha
Reactions: PIEPI and IGot5onIt
Why would any offensive OC want to work for KF other than for the $$. He ruined BFs career. He will do the same to anyone in that position.

Reactions: PJARMSTRONG
First we need to establish that he actually said it.
Agree, and if he didn't then we're all good. I hope he didn't say it. That would be a tone deaf statement to make. He is more savvy than that, but he does like to toss in a little sarcasm from time to time.

If so, after these past 2 years of dreadful offense, there isn't any room for sarcasm. The glimmer of hope with a new OC is what peaks many fans' interest in next fall. Not a good time to squish any sliver of enthusiasm.
Agree. Stupid in every way.

Kirk 😞

All of which further validates my concern that no meaningful changes will take place until Kirk retires.

I have no confidence whatsoever that this offense will reach a respectable average status at anytime so long as Kirk is in charge. Zero confidence.
Don't know you....but I align 100% to how you feel. I'm confident your assessment is correct, unfortunately. Even with me somewhat becoming desensitized to the national ridicule, this offense is so beyond embarrassing. And, there is very little hope it will improve in even the slightest amount. One thing has to happen to start a process of improvement. It really is time for Kirk to retire. If ever I had a doubt, this season and the Deacon Hill debacle removed all doubt. There is ZERO excuse for what happened this season....trotting him out there series after series, game after game. What a damn tragedy. And....Kirk should be ashamed of himself.

For those arguing that no one should be set in stone for starting, do you still feel the same way when KF told Rudock that Beathard would be the starter the next year?

It’s a pretty easy thing to complain about now given how bad the QB (and entire offense) has been, but you have to admit there’s a time and place where certainty is the right answer.

you guys hoping for a saviour OC and a new system - will be disappointed. this is the status quo program. very stable. do things the same way for 30 years

Reactions: JerNHawk
For those arguing that no one should be set in stone for starting, do you still feel the same way when KF told Rudock that Beathard would be the starter the next year?

It’s a pretty easy thing to complain about now given how bad the QB (and entire offense) has been, but you have to admit there’s a time and place where certainty is the right answer.
Dead on, and this is where they either get someone from the portal (not happening) or name Marco the starter. Cade has been here, will not be healthy all. spring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT