ADVERTISEMENT

Should Cade McNamara be a certainty to be the starting QB?

BrotherHawkeye

HR All-American
Jul 7, 2020
Assuming he's healthy, I'd say he at least has the pole position in the race. Despite the opinions of another poster in another thread, can Lainez develop over the spring and summer to challenge Cade? He ought to get the majority of the work with the No. 1's this spring while Cade is rehabbing. The Hill era needs to be done. You cannot judge Lainez's passing performance yesterday (down 28 points, lining up with 5 wide, no backs) as any indication of what he is capable of as a passer. We saw he has mobility, something Hill does not have. Mobility is not a luxury in a QB anymore, it's a necessity. Let him get real time this spring with the 1's and see what he can bring to the table. If he shows progress, let there be a real competition for the starting QB in the fall. Great Cade is coming back, but that does not mean he's guaranteed the top spot.

Assuming he's healthy, I'd say he at least has the pole position in the race. Despite the opinions of another poster in another thread, can Lainez develop over the spring and summer to challenge Cade? He ought to get the majority of the work with the No. 1's this spring while Cade is rehabbing. The Hill era needs to be done. You cannot judge Lainez's passing performance yesterday (down 28 points, lining up with 5 wide, no backs) as any indication of what he is capable of as a passer. We saw he has mobility, something Hill does not have. Mobility is not a luxury in a QB anymore, it's a necessity. Let him get real time this spring with the 1's and see what he can bring to the table. If he shows progress, let there be a real competition for the starting QB in the fall. Great Cade is coming back, but that does not mean he's guaranteed the top spot.
Unfortunately the Capt’ is all in on Hill….he ain’t going nowhere and expect to see more of him in the coming years…💩

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
If Cade is healthy, no reason to think he won't be the #1, IMO. He was the #1 this year, and we know how Kirk is about QB's. If he can't play all year (highly possible), then it gets interesting.

Though in my opinion, no one's role should be 100% safe unless they earn it.

If CM can hobble on to the field opening day, he's the starter.

Him staying healthy, even through preseason practices, seems less than certain given multiple significant surgeries plus various other injuries to a lesser degree. Having a prepped and ready #2 and #3 would be a priority for nearly every other team planning to start a player like this.

If CM can hobble on to the field opening day, he's the starter.

Him staying healthy, even through preseason practices, seems less than certain given multiple significant surgeries plus various other injuries to a lesser degree. Having a prepped and ready #2 and #3 would be a priority for nearly every other team planning to start a player like this.
They guy can't run without hurting himself and he's the guy that the staff is pinning all of their hopes on.

It will be interesting if the new OC brings in another QB as he should. Then the point of contention will be who gets what NIL money. That could cause some friction. So far our NIL cash has not been a good “investment ”.

Last edited:
We should be going after a backup QB in the portal.

Hill should in no possibility be an injury or two away from starting next year.
Makes sense, however, I do not think there are any scholarships available this coming year. Maybe when the portal opens again in the spring, there may be a scholarship available, but will there be any quarterbacks left over who they will want to give a scholarship to? By then, all the ones worth having will probably be signed somewhere else.

Deacon well be in the mix. He has the tools to be an outstanding college quarterback. Just needs to work an his accuracy and timing. Reminds me of Peyton Manning.

peytonsnlgif.gif

Fanatics are an interesting breed. Two years ago Alex Padilla comes in and leads Iowa on a TD drive and Iowa fans scream that he wasn't playing over Petras and are certain AP will lead Iowa to the promise land.

Then it was Labas, now it's Lainez.

Look, I'm all for Marco turning into Patrick Mahomes, but he was 2/7 yestetday with two completions a Jr high QB could make.

Pump the breaks. Let's be honest with ourselves here, his eyes were as big as dinner plates; great survival scramble runs but at this point all we know is he's more athletic than what we've seen at the position. At some point a QB has to throw the ball.

Cade is easily the starter and anyone suggesting otherwise is a fool.

Last edited:
I want Lainez to get a fair shot at the job so badly my heart aches for already knowing the uncertainty of the proposition.

From an article on the front page Nick Jackson said he just tears it up in practice and "He's a heck of a player. His mobility is insane."

Like so many have already said ... it's mind boggling, a travesty, criminal ... all that stuff!

It was clear from the limited looks we saw earlier this season that Cade can make a lot of throws. I think his injuries greatly hindered his play. If he can't stay healthy, that's a huge concern, but if he can get healthy and stay there, I think he is the guy. I'm just as optimistic for him next season as I was when the news broke of his transfer to Iowa. That said, if Marco can become even an average passer, I would think his speed makes him worth a hard look at QB1. It will be great to have some competition this spring.

I think Cade is an elite passer. Any QB needs protection, receivers who can get open, and a functional offensive scheme.

If nothing else changes, a good running QB is the only thing that will work.

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
My real fear is that we've all seen how KF gloms onto a certain QB and it almost takes a world changing event to get him to switch, no matter how badly his first choice is performing. It happened with Petras and I'm afraid it might happen with Hill.

Kirk Ferentz has shown an almost pathological resistance to change within the program.
His team, led by Deacon Hill, just won ten games and the Big Ten west. He just told us how important he thinks that is.

There’s nothing in Kirk Ferentz’s past decisions that should make us think that anyone other than Deacon Hill will go into next year as the starter. It’s frustrating, but nothing new.

Last edited:
Something is being instilled in these guys that is hampering their play/development. It's been ongoing for 20 years under Kirk.

Reactions: dadster
If Kirk doesn't find a transfer portal QB and forces the new OC to use Cade then get ready for nothing to change.
To me, if Iowa goes out and gets a starter level QB in the portal, then McNamara is getting pushed to the side. I don't know exactly how you thread that needle, which means it's probably unlikely KF and Co. will do it.

Reactions: amahawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT