ADVERTISEMENT

QBs - quick take

BrewHawk

HB Heisman
Jul 21, 2004
Lucas, TX
Looks like we're going to need Cade to stay healthy and be a non-turnover-generating game manager.

Sullivan throws like it's a shot put and Marco is afraid to throw at all.

Needless to say, defenses will still be loading the box and our offense will struggle.

No idea about the other 2-3, but the fact they aren't getting any run right now means they're a non-factor.

2 coaches, 2 schools of thought.

Hayden always wanted his offense to go against the 2nd and 3rd teamers in practice because from a psychology standpoint, he believed in building confidence and that it would then transfer to the games.

Kirk has always been a believer in "iron sharpens iron", so he's always about 1's v 1's in practice.

Both men are/have been super successful in their approach, but it's always interesting to see those 2 schools of thought.

Hayden always wanted his offense to go against the 2nd and 3rd teamers in practice because from a psychology standpoint, he believed in building confidence and that it would then transfer to the games.

Kirk has always been a believer in "iron sharpens iron", so he's always about 1's v 1's in practice.

Both men are/have been super successful in their approach, but it's always interesting to see those 2 schools of thought.
Yeah, but who had the better offenses? I think our D will be just fine, even if they aren't absolutely stifling our offense in practice.

Reactions: Tom Paris
BTN on campus Friday, will be interesting too to hear their observations although prob quite vanilla as in past years. Listen close for Kirk's answer to QB situation, if you hear 'let them compete/battle out' you know they aren't liking what they are seeing from Cade. Another nugget I caught online was several players (even the D) saying Sullivan was more fleet of foot than they thought...that extra step or two of mobility is huge and something we haven't had since probably CJB.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
Interesting yet that's his opinion and I wonder if Kid's Day was a continuation of camp struggles/rust, etc or if he was just off that day, although Chad L. said it might very well be a continuation.
KF himself, when asked, said what the QBs showed during kids day was a reflection of what's happened so far during camp. So doesn't appear to be a one practice thing...

I would expect for the offense to see more loaded boxes and man coverage in a real games. I could see Cade or any of the Iowa QBs fairing better against a defense that is not as disciplined as ours, and is focussed on stopping the run and not playing a base defense that honors both the run and the pass equally.

"I think probably the best way I can term it right now, it's like all positions, we'll make decisions here as we go along," Ferentz said.

You can find that quote at the bottom of the article that's linked.

I think its important to note that 2 things:

1. When was the last time Kirk said something like that with the incumbent starting QB still on roster? Christensen?

2. Cade was a Brian transfer. Lester not only brought in Sullivan this year - he was recruiting and offered him in 2020 when he was the head coach at Western Michigan.

Personally - I'm still leaning Cade week 1. I mean he had an offer from Bama out of high school, you don't get that for no reason. But I'm starting to buy into the Sullivan week 1 starter rumors/speculation.

If I was Kirk, I'd ask Parker to allow the offense to gain some confidence.
Ya know, you actually have a good point. Especially early in camp while learning a new offense, it might make sense for KF to play the first team O against the second and third team D. Many coaches do that anyway. And doing this would fit logically with KF's nonconference scheduling. He wants all cupcakes in the noncon because his is "a developmental program." So, KF, why not let the offense have a chance to develop against the backups instead of a defense filled with all-American and all-conference players?

Going against one of the nation's top defenses in practice can be of great benefit . . . but not right now.

And how has that worked out for KF's offenses?

Pretty stupid approach by KF, based on the results. And sure, few teams have great offenses every season. But Hayden never had the worst offense in the country, and not for two years in a row. So there's that.

A play called is a play called. If the defense can shut down the passing game it is still a play call and film. Timing is accomplished without the defense.
Working on the run game and blocking are the keys. Lester wants to run the ball.
Once Lester gets the run game going in a game, that RPO game with quick hitters starts rolling.
With the run game going and passing opening up it works because of all the timing plays they run in practice.
If Lester has to throw to get guys out of the box, he is really good at disguising the running backs and getting them out in routes. His offense and play calling are really good at getting those first downs early.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
Dochterman just on KXNO and said Cade was way behind Sullivan and can easily see Sullivan as starter if this trend continues.
That is where I am leaning too. Reason being #1 he is accurate #2 we do not need him to run the ball often AND we do not need him taking hits. But when they stack the box and have one of our many very good TE's and RB's block and Sullivan takes the easy yards and busts one for 8-15 yards, that will cause the defense to back off the line a little and try to play disciplined rather then sending everyone. BUT the accuracy thing is huge, we have had qb's who could not hit wide open people and idk, but it was not enjoyable for anyone.

As long as the run game is solid, the passing game will improve in time. I think the offensive line and the run game showed improvement from what we saw. This is a fun first offense anyway, so hopefully things start gelling.

And how has that worked out for KF's offenses?

Pretty stupid approach by KF, based on the results. And sure, few teams have great offenses every season. But Hayden never had the worst offense in the country, and not for two years in a row. So there's that.
With the exception of the last 2.5 years it's worked pretty well. About half the years of KF's 23 years, the offenses under KF have avg'd north of 370 ypg and 30 ppg. We're all (myself included) pretty clouded by what's happened the last 2.5 years (has seemed like 10 years at times).

I loved Hayden as much as the next guy, but after Bill Snyder left, he had some real dogshit offenses, too.

Dochterman just on KXNO and said Cade was way behind Sullivan and can easily see Sullivan as starter if this trend continues.
Disappointing, but not terribly surprising. Sully has played in 12 games the past 2 seasons and as recently as November. Cade has played in 5 games the past 2 seasons and hasn't had a snap since September. Cade didn't look particularly good in his games last season, either, and he is, of course, coming off yet another major knee surgery. I know we're all hoping for a switch to flip and for Cade to suddenly have 2021 form, but we also have to face the possibility that it will never happen. That's what Sully was brought in for.

Let's hope they can figure it out, and fast....

With the exception of the last 2.5 years it's worked pretty well. About half the years of KF's 23 years, the offenses under KF have avg'd north of 370 ypg and 30 ppg. We're all (myself included) pretty clouded by what's happened the last 2.5 years (has seemed like 10 years at times).

I loved Hayden as much as the next guy, but after Bill Snyder left, he had some real dogshit offenses, too.
Remember Matt Sherman using up the 3 time outs in the first quarter?

Hayden was calling plays that didn't exist because of his prostate cancer.

Reactions: littlez
Cade was a Brian transfer. Lester not only brought in Sullivan this year - he was recruiting and offered him in 2020 when he was the head coach at Western Michigan.

Personally - I'm still leaning Cade week 1. I mean he had an offer from Bama out of high school, you don't get that for no reason. But I'm starting to buy into the Sullivan week 1 starter rumors/speculation.
He's a B1G champion QB. What Bama thought of him in high school is now irrelevant.

But he's now also a double ACL repair QB now, too, with limited experience over the last three years. And I watched every throw he made on Saturday.

HE . . . WAS . . . AWFUL.

"I think probably the best way I can term it right now, it's like all positions, we'll make decisions here as we go along," Ferentz said.

You can find that quote at the bottom of the article that's linked.

I think its important to note that 2 things:

1. When was the last time Kirk said something like that with the incumbent starting QB still on roster? Christensen?

2. Cade was a Brian transfer. Lester not only brought in Sullivan this year - he was recruiting and offered him in 2020 when he was the head coach at Western Michigan.

This likely shows us if Kirk is truly letting Lester run the offense.

It would be interesting to know how long QB gurus think it should take a Quarterback returning from back-to-back season-ending knee injuries to regain form, confidence, etc. It would seem unlikely that McNamara suddenly lost all of his QB'ing talent but it seems reasonable to assume that he has a lot of rust and other issues to work through that will take some time.

Yes, it was with Michigan, but McNamara had a QB rating of 141 over 14 starts in 2021. Against Phil Parker's defense, he went 16-24 for 170 yards. I'm sure Lester wishes he had another month (or more) with McNamara but given McNamara's demonstrated ability to perform at a very high level, it would seem reasonable for Lester to conclude that you have to trust that McNamara will regain form and give him the start in the first couple of games.

With all due respect to Dochterman, to proclaim that Sullivan should take over as No. 1 after 1 week of practice and one "scrimmage" seems fairly premature.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT