ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback play at Iowa

So Jake Rudock was an "F" with the following numbers and a future NFL career.

These are the exact completion % and YPA/YPC. 3/1 TD/intl, and 8 regular season. If this is your definition of failing you better just give up on Iowa because no QB will ever meet your definition of an A.

Jake the snake, jason Manson...those are two who started and played pretty dreadful. John wienke was an elite 11 QB who punted for Iowa. I don't think that qualifies as dreadful but I find it funny. Marvin mcnutt and djk were so bad at QB that they moved to wr. Chad Greenway had to move to the other side of the ball altogether. Those are just the ones off the top of my head.
Yeah, I don't think I can ever forgive the staff for making two WRs who set school records, but I'm particularly pissed about the All-American LB.

Would agree with almost all of this. The offense has been anywhere from average to really good when Iowa has had a QB who could run a bit and/or make something out of nothing, or at least escape the pocket and make a good/big throw.

Banks
Tate
Stanzi
Beathard

And some other QB's who were decent and the results on the field were pretty good (Stanley, Rudock).

Running Iowa's offense, if you don't have a QB who can move/make plays with his feet, as a thrower they have to be extremely accurate. And that has not been the case. The non-running QB has to put the ball on the right side of the receiver darn near every time, where they can make a play once they catch it. They are going to need to be able to put the ball right on a guy when he's tightly covered on 3rd and 7.
Bingo. Need to be able to run so play action can be utilized. Play action is better when a QB can use his feet….

So Jake Rudock was an "F" with the following numbers and a future NFL career.

These are the exact completion % and YPA/YPC. 3/1 TD/intl, and 8 regular season. If this is your definition of failing you better just give up on Iowa because no QB will ever meet your definition of an A.
But, but, but that doesn’t fit my overly dramatic and inaccurate narrative!!!!
How else am I going to be able to b*tch about KF if people are actually going to provide stats and stuff to prove that my opinions are wrong?

First, it didn't go downhill for Vandenberg until Davis got here. He was great his Junior year.
Second, Rudock was good at Iowa but Beathard was just better because of his arm.
I thought Stanley was a good college QB just not great but his biggest weakness was a problem. His accuracy needed to be better but that is Iowa's fault for recruiting a kid that barely passed in HS and never was very accurate. I
I have been thinking about the accuracy lately, as out last two QB's (Stanley and Petras) seem to struggle in that department. I went and looked up the last few recruits out of curiosity. I couldn't find Stanley's HS stats, but seem to recall he wasn't incredibly accurate in HS.

Petras Senior 60%, Junior 56%
Padilla Senior 68% Junior 67%
Hogan Senior 54% Junior 44%
Labbas Senior 68% Junior 65%
May Senior 64% Junior 60%
Lainez Junior 80% Soph 74%

Not sure what this shows, except starting with someone who is not very accurate and hoping they develop that may not be the best plan. A complaint about Stanley was that even when he completed passes, he didn't put it in a spot to allow them to run after the catch. I would speculate that Petras played on a HS team that gave him pretty good protection and still had a relatively low completion rate. On the other hand, watching Lainez, he was scrambling around on pretty much every play and still completed over 80%. That excites me - mobile, but still accurate. Labbas and Padilla's also have strong completion numbers, but 80% is amazing!

Seems that everyone remembers JVB for the OSU game filling in for Stanzi. I remember the Minnesota game after that. Iowa won 12-0 and the offense was not good.
Ahhhhh the Chronic pain in the ‘side’ of Iowa football.

Looking forward to more of the same this coming season. Pure excitement.

They also forget I think at least 2 dropped interceptions that would have sealed the game earlier.
Speaking of drops, I don't think it was Terry Strauss's finest game as an Iowa WR either. I somewhat vividly remember a dropped TD on our first or second drive of the game, where JVB rolled left and threw an absolute dime (I think it was 3rd and long in the red zone too) that ol' Terry couldn't hang on to.

Wasn't it one dropped interception that ended up bouncing to Moeaki and then a pick six that was called back because of a penalty?
Something like that.
Speaking of drops, I don't think it was Terry Strauss's finest game as an Iowa WR either. I somewhat vividly remember a dropped TD on our first or second drive of the game, where JVB rolled left and threw an absolute dime (I think it was 3rd and long in the red zone too) that ol' Terry couldn't hang on to.
Yeah, imo, it was one of the craziest games I can recall. RS frosh making his first career start AT OSU? Vandy played beyond all expectations, got away with a few mistakes and also got let down by his receivers at the same time. That ‘09 is probably Kirks 2nd best team and had a great chance at being undefeated had Stanzi not gotten injured.

I've seen enough "old" Iowa games to realize that the difference between QB's at Iowa comes down to one thing for the most part - the ability to make plays.

You watch some games with Stanzi and CJ for example - a lot of bad throws, but then they suddenly make a huge play with their arm or their feet. We can't forget that Stanzi was Mr Pick 6 as a junior.

Another example - Drew Tate and Nate Stanley. Their stats a remarkably similar.

DT - 61% completions, 8292 yards, 61 TD's, 137.1 rating
NS - 58.3% completions, 8297 yds, 68 TD's, 134.1 rating

They could hardly be much closer, but ten out of ten Iowa fans would take Drew Tate first, and is regarded as an Iowa great. Nate routinely got poor reviews from fans.

I think it's because we think Tate had the "it" factor and Nate didn't.

The current QB's make lots of bad plays, but don't seem to offset them with big plays.

I've seen enough "old" Iowa games to realize that the difference between QB's at Iowa comes down to one thing for the most part - the ability to make plays.

You watch some games with Stanzi and CJ for example - a lot of bad throws, but then they suddenly make a huge play with their arm or their feet. We can't forget that Stanzi was Mr Pick 6 as a junior.

They could hardly be much closer, but ten out of ten Iowa fans would take Drew Tate first, and is regarded as an Iowa great. Nate routinely got poor reviews from fans.

The current QB's make lots of bad plays, but don't seem to offset them with big plays.
Very good post.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
If I recall, he dropped 3 passes that day. Folks seem to forget that.

It all starts with the fact that watching KF direct the offense is akin to watching an auto mechanic repair a Swiss watch. He has other strengths, but zero offensive intelligence. Most facets of the offense are not only ineffective, but combine with each other to amplify the problem. No other P5 school could benefit more by having a competent OC with complete control.

Except for the statuesque and inaccurate Petras and Stanley, and Christainsen, our QBs have been serviceable. But as I wrote to KF 10 years ago, this offense is EXTREMELY QB unfriendly. They have to contend with:

-poor blocking scheme and lack of misdirection which results in both many 3rd and longs and short yardage conversion failures.

-poor pass routes and timing (having to react to wr reads is both a burden for the QB and an assist to the defense. The passes have to be late, and the DB can shade the coverage, forcing the WR to break in the opposite direction and thus gaining the knowledge and the initiative.

-poor clock management

-poor risk/reward decisions

A more mobile and accurate QB won't resolve many of these issues but would lessen their impact.

Last edited:

Nate was incredibly underrated and unfairly criticized. Nate made more big plays in his second start (a five TD 300+ yard come from behind against ISU) than Spencer and Alex have made in their careers. People are just pissed over the close losses and lack of NYD major bowl game.

Drew did have a little star quality. Nate was just big quiet thrower. You don't get to 8300 yards and 68 TDs at Iowa unless you've made a lot of big plays.

Nate was incredibly underrated and unfairly criticized. Nate made more big plays in his second start (a five TD 300+ yard come from behind against ISU) than Spencer and Alex have made in their careers. People are just pissed over the close losses and lack of NYD major bowl game.

Drew did have a little star quality. Nate was just big quiet thrower. You don't get to 8300 yards and 68 TDs at Iowa unless you've made a lot of big plays.
I still have to chuckle when I see Stanley being referred to as a statue on here. Exhibit A as to why most (not all) fan complaining is woefully uninformed at best.

joke christainsen and petras are Fs...........as is vandenberg's senior year when greg davis took over. Those 3 were by far the weakst links on their team. Stanley and rudock aren't much better. How many more do you want? For most schools a guy like nathan chandler or kyle mccann would make these lists but for iowa they're not even considered.
LOL, bullshit !

Jake the snake, jason Manson...those are two who started and played pretty dreadful. John wienke was an elite 11 QB who punted for Iowa. I don't think that qualifies as dreadful but I find it funny. Marvin mcnutt and djk were so bad at QB that they moved to wr. Chad Greenway had to move to the other side of the ball altogether. Those are just the ones off the top of my head.
This is really something…..

^^ This ^^
/thread (before people embarrass themselves beyond hope)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT