ADVERTISEMENT

Question About H&R Block Tax Returns Iowa State Form

h-hawk

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2002
Maybe it is due so some state changes but the Iowa form is not showing a place to enter information for Iowa Income. If I go to the next screen for Adjustments to Income, I can pull up the copy of the actual state form and it is filled in from the Federal information. But usually there are additional questions the state wants answered. The other difference is that in past years there was a place to deduct licensing for our vehicles but that has not come up yet either. The form does seem confused because the checking for error screen tool bar never stops flashing.
I have also deleted and re-added the form per instructions. Now the Federal section that worked is in a continuous checking the return loop. And their phone help robot is worthless.
Wondering if anyone else has found this and knows the fix for it.

Sounds buggy.

TurboTax usually throws those state specific stuff after the “check your filing” process.

Maybe try clearing your browser cookies and re-trying.

Reactions: h-hawk
Sounds buggy.

TurboTax usually throws those state specific stuff after the “check your filing” process.

Maybe try clearing your browser cookies and re-trying.
I didn't think about it when I did it but I had the return started when I cleared cookies earlier this week. (First time I have done it in years - figures:) Wonder if that F'd it up. Would clearing them again help or do you think I will have to start the return all over again. Thanks for the input.

I did a 1st run of my taxes Tuesday, the IA form changed big time. I'm not able to look at it currently, but iirc you now pull in a line item number from the fed return for the IA number now.

I didn't think about it when I did it but I had the return started when I cleared cookies earlier this week. (First time I have done it in years - figures:) Wonder if that F'd it up. Would clearing them again help or do you think I will have to start the return all over again. Thanks for the input.

Should help. Return should still be good to return to same spot.

I did a 1st run of my taxes Tuesday, the IA form changed big time. I'm not able to look at it currently, but iirc you now pull in a line item number from the fed return for the IA number now.

I don’t like how “clunky” the state questions feel compared to federal.

Thanks for the info. I think my return has gone gonzo. I restarted the computer and left everything else closed but it is still stuck reviewing the returns. I just dread deleting and starting over though I have the time (retired).

Thanks for the info. I think my return has gone gonzo. I restarted the computer and left everything else closed but it is still stuck reviewing the returns. I just dread deleting and starting over though I have the time (retired).

Oh. It sounds like you’re using the PC software application?

Sorry, I thought you were using the web. Cookies won’t help much with desktop app.

Not to hijack, but I've also noticed (on Turbo Tax) that when I enter my 529 plan contributions for the year, my state tax owed actually goes UP rather than down. Can't fathom why that would be, but at this point I'm just leaving it blank.

Not to hijack, but I've also noticed (on Turbo Tax) that when I enter my 529 plan contributions for the year, my state tax owed actually goes UP rather than down. Can't fathom why that would be, but at this point I'm just leaving it blank.
Uh, wut? Obviously that can't be right.

Are you sure you didn't enter it as a withdrawal?

Thought of that, but I've been entering that field in Turbo Tax for about 15 years now and never had it happen before.
Entire re-write of the Iowa return. Not surprised it has bugs.

I called TurboTax a couple of months ago. I had an Iowa question as well. They were very helpful.

After a false start-thought I had everything deleted to start over but it pulled up and filled in againe because there were also files in another folder that my son deleted for me. The good news is it all worked this time. The bad news is that those forms for Iowa still did not show up and that it did that relentless reviewing with an empty error box. But this time when I closed that box, it stopped reviewing and then told me everything was OK. I don't believe it :) But maybe the Iowa changes were that drastic.

Update-the Iowa form's "checker" said it was fine so I filed today-but only the Federal part went through. Fortunately it has already been accepted. I went in and played around with the state for probably half an hour before I finally got to a screen that mentioned the Iowa forms won' t be ready until Feb 9th!
I'm sure this message was supposed to come up each time I went into the state form but it never did.
Hope this helps others :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT