ADVERTISEMENT

Man Who Stole and Leaked Trump Tax Returns Sentenced to 5 Years in Federal Prison

Hawki97

HR Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
And he deserves it. Good analogous grouping with the 1/6ers. They all deserve the time they've earned.

Trump is still a stupid phuck for not releasing them in the first place.

The man who stole and leaked former President Donald Trump and thousands of others’ tax records has been sentenced to five years in prison.

In October, Charles Littlejohn, 38, pleaded guilty to one count of unauthorized disclosures of income tax returns. According to his plea agreement, he stole Trump’s tax returns along with the tax data of “thousands of the nation’s wealthiest people,” while working for a consulting firm with contracts with the Internal Revenue Service.

Littlejohn leaked the information to two news outlets and deleted the documents from his IRS-assigned laptop before returning it and covered the rest of his digital tracks by deleting places where he initially stored the information.

Judge Ana Reyes highlighted the gravity of the crime, saying multiple times that it amounted to an attack against the US and its legal foundation.

“What you did in attacking the sitting president of the United States was an attack on our constitutional democracy,” Reyes said. “We’re talking about someone who … pulled off the biggest heist in IRS history.”

The judge compared Littlejohn’s actions to those of the January 6, 2021, Capitol attack, noting that, “your actions were also a threat to our democracy.”

“It engenders the same fear that January 6 does,” Reyes added.

Prosecutors said Littlejohn went through great lengths to steal the tax records undetected, exploiting system loopholes, downloading data to an Apple iPod and uploading the information on a private website he later deleted.

Reyes was also critical of the Justice Department’s decision to only bring one count against Littlejohn.

“The fact that he did what he did and he’s facing one felony count, I have no words for,” the judge said. Prosecutors argued that the one count covers the multitude of Littlejohn’s thefts and leaks.

“A free press and public engagement with the media are critical to any healthy democracy, but stealing and leaking private, personal tax information strips individuals of the legal protection of their most sensitive data,” prosecutors wrote in a court filing recommending Littlejohn be sentenced to the maximum of five years in prison.

“I acted out of a sincere misguided belief,” Littlejohn said in court Monday, adding that he was serving the country and that people had a right to the tax information.

“We as a country make the best decisions when we are all properly informed,” Littlejohn said.

Littlejohn added that he was “aware of the potential consequences” of his actions and knew he would one day be here, in federal court, facing those consequences.

“My actions undermine the fragile faith,” in government institutions in the US, Littlejohn said.

This guy released more than Trump's returns,.. Should have been charged with multiple counts.

Reactions: Coach_Fry
Didn’t the tax return issue turn out to be a giant nothing burger?

So when the douche runs again that wouldn’t be a talking point.

By the way. I haven’t posted much in the past year. The GOP are fuking stupid for lining up behind Trump again. I’m just dumbfounded.

I’m going to vote in November but will probably do a write in for Luis Litt

We know you can’t quit us. Everybody comes back.

5 years seems a bit harsh but FAFO.

Reactions: Sharky1203
And he deserves it. Good analogous grouping with the 1/6ers. They all deserve the time they've earned.

The man who stole and leaked former President Donald Trump and thousands of others’ tax records has been sentenced to five years in prison.

In October, Charles Littlejohn, 38, pleaded guilty to one count of unauthorized disclosures of income tax returns. According to his plea agreement, he stole Trump’s tax returns along with the tax data of “thousands of the nation’s wealthiest people,” while working for a consulting firm with contracts with the Internal Revenue Service.

Littlejohn leaked the information to two news outlets and deleted the documents from his IRS-assigned laptop before returning it and covered the rest of his digital tracks by deleting places where he initially stored the information.

Judge Ana Reyes highlighted the gravity of the crime, saying multiple times that it amounted to an attack against the US and its legal foundation.

“What you did in attacking the sitting president of the United States was an attack on our constitutional democracy,” Reyes said. “We’re talking about someone who … pulled off the biggest heist in IRS history.”

The judge compared Littlejohn’s actions to those of the January 6, 2021, Capitol attack, noting that, “your actions were also a threat to our democracy.”

Prosecutors said Littlejohn went through great lengths to steal the tax records undetected, exploiting system loopholes, downloading data to an Apple iPod and uploading the information on a private website he later deleted.

Reyes was also critical of the Justice Department’s decision to only bring one count against Littlejohn.

“The fact that he did what he did and he’s facing one felony count, I have no words for,” the judge said. Prosecutors argued that the one count covers the multitude of Littlejohn’s thefts and leaks.

“A free press and public engagement with the media are critical to any healthy democracy, but stealing and leaking private, personal tax information strips individuals of the legal protection of their most sensitive data,” prosecutors wrote in a court filing recommending Littlejohn be sentenced to the maximum of five years in prison.

“I acted out of a sincere misguided belief,” Littlejohn said in court Monday, adding that he was serving the country and that people had a right to the tax information.

“We as a country make the best decisions when we are all properly informed,” Littlejohn said.

Littlejohn added that he was “aware of the potential consequences” of his actions and knew he would one day be here, in federal court, facing those consequences.

“My actions undermine the fragile faith,” in government institutions in the US, Littlejohn said.
But I thought they were still being audited...

Reactions: lucas80
So . . . I remember when DT Barnum said, as part of a speech, that he loved WikiLeaks. And a large part of MAGA/QAnon nation felt that Edward Snowden was a hero and cheered Snowden and Julian Assange.

Where does DT Barnum/MAGA nation/QAnon supporters fall when it comes to this guy serving time in prison for stealing tax records.

And, BTW, this guy wasn't employed by the US Government. He was employed by the private sector. Jus' sayin'.

The guy committed the crime so he deserves the sentence. I agree he should face more than the one felony charge.

The self-righteousness to lecture the guy and claim this was an attack on democracy is so far-fetched.

The guy committed the crime so he deserves the sentence. I agree he should face more than the one felony charge.

The self-righteousness to lecture the guy and claim this was an attack on democracy is so far-fetched.

Will you agree when Trump is sentenced?

Hopefully Judge Cannon lectures Trump when he's sentenced... Oh, never mind. That's different to many of our posters here.

Reactions: EasyHawk

Imagine improperly taking and keeping highly sensitive confidential government documents and then trying to cover your tracks afterwards. Horrible. Deserves a maximum sentence.

So . . . I remember when DT Barnum said, as part of a speech, that he loved WikiLeaks. And a large part of MAGA/QAnon nation felt that Edward Snowden was a hero and cheered Snowden and Julian Assange.

Where does DT Barnum/MAGA nation/QAnon supporters fall when it comes to this guy serving time in prison for stealing tax records.

And, BTW, this guy wasn't employed by the US Government. He was employed by the private sector. Jus' sayin'.

Edward Snowden is a hero, for successfully relaying to the public that the government was lying about the nature and scope of the spying it was conducting on Americans.
What sort of bootlicker doesn't celebrate him getting that news to the American public?

I don't see how that is at all analogous to someone stealing the personal information of Americans and releasing it.

Edward Snowden is a hero, for successfully relaying to the public that the government was lying about the nature and scope of the spying it was conducting on Americans.
What sort of bootlicker doesn't celebrate him getting that news to the American public?

I don't see how that is at all analogous to someone stealing the personal information of Americans and releasing it.
If that was all he released and the end of the story, I might agree with you.

Reactions: goldmom

What about the media that picked up the released tax returns and ran with it. No charges?

Imagine improperly taking and keeping highly sensitive confidential government documents and then trying to cover your tracks afterwards. Horrible. Deserves a maximum sentence.

Only, these weren't "government documents".

But certainly, sensitive personal tax documents that he has no right to access and disperse.

What about the media that picked up the released tax returns and ran with it. No charges?
I think there was a public interest in releasing the information, but if the media broke the law in doing so, then I would expect prosecution or First Amendment litigation.

Damn, the dude‘s name is really Littlejohn? Imagine the FBI upon getting a roster of employees and thinking…amongst all these names, who could possibly be interested in stealing from some of the wealthiest people in our country to give the data to the poor masses?

This guy never stood a chance!
I just want to take this moment to clarify, Robin and his Merry Men were not ‘stealing from the rich to give to the poor’, they were intercepting the taxes collected from the poor. The aristocracy was ‘stealing’ from the masses, and Robin Hood was just into large tax rebates, which have always been popular.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
I think there was a public interest in releasing the information, but if the media broke the law in doing so, then I would expect prosecution or First Amendment litigation.
This train of thought should be applied to "The Ashley Diary" story then.

Jim Carrey Stop Breaking The Law Asshole GIF by Jerology

Reactions: ItsinourDNA
I just want to take this moment to clarify, Robin and his Merry Men were not ‘stealing from the rich to give to the poor’, they were intercepting the taxes collected from the poor.

Which weren't going to "the common good"; they were going to the aristocracy.
Ergo: robbing the rich and giving to the poor.

Reactions: TheCainer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT