ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the meat smokers around here . . .

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Settle down, Hawkeye Hitman, not YOUR kind of meat smoking.

But for those of you that smoke meats, I have a question regarding a smoked catfish recipe I'd like to try this weekend.

It says to leave them in the brine for 4 hours - then to cook for 2. That doesn't fit my schedule awesome, so I'm wondering if there would be any harm in leaving them in the brine overnight tonight (for say 8-10 hours) or whether I need to stick with the 4-hour brine and then take them out of brine, pat them dry and refrigerate until I'm ready to smoke them.

TL/DR version: Is leaving catfish fillets in the brine for 8-10 hours a bad idea?

Reactions: jasonrann
I haven't smoked catfish before but when I make smoked salmon, I dry brine for 24 hours. Turns out great every time.

I haven't smoked catfish before but when I make smoked salmon, I dry brine for 24 hours. Turns out great every time.
Yeah, I did a very large lake trout after a 24 hour brine and it was great. But the catfish fillets are going to be considerably smaller. I don't want to overwhelm the meat with too much salt.

Reactions: jasonrann
Google box says don't go beyond six hours on catfish or it may turn out too salty. Salmon is a different dealio apparently.

I thought this was you…..🤔
5ca7c9cedeb69.image.jpg

You might be able to pull some of the salt out by soaking in cold freshwater for an hour or so after brining.

Reactions: torbee
Settle down, Hawkeye Hitman, not YOUR kind of meat smoking.

But for those of you that smoke meats, I have a question regarding a smoked catfish recipe I'd like to try this weekend.

It says to leave them in the brine for 4 hours - then to cook for 2. That doesn't fit my schedule awesome, so I'm wondering if there would be any harm in leaving them in the brine overnight tonight (for say 8-10 hours) or whether I need to stick with the 4-hour brine and then take them out of brine, pat them dry and refrigerate until I'm ready to smoke them.

TL/DR version: Is leaving catfish fillets in the brine for 8-10 hours a bad idea?
If you plan on brining longer, cut the salt my 1/4th. Otherwise, it will penetrate too far and it will be far too salty.

Thanks for doing my basic research for me, lol!

It just feels better coming from my friends at GIAOT. :)
Torbs, can't remember if you ever got any of my family seasoning blend. If so, do yourself a favor and set aside some of that delicious catfish for frying. It works very well in whatever seasoning mix you're using.

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT