ADVERTISEMENT

Question: What was the last time an Iowa QB

OC guru

Scout Team
Oct 7, 2019
What was the last time the starting Iowa QB was pulled from a game
when we were behind?

It’s always been my assumption that Kirk is unwilling to bench QB’s because the backup is terrible.

Somehow it’s easier to be annoyed at bad recruiting and QB development than stubbornness.

Reactions: CarterHall
Somehow it’s easier to be annoyed at bad recruiting and QB development than stubbornness.
Stanzi - 5th round pick, was a backup for a few seasons and bounced around the league for a few years.
Vandenberg - Got a shot with the Vikings, cut during camp.
Rudock - ended up a 6th round pick with the Lions, played multiple games and is currently on a practice squad.
CJ - 3rd round pick, started multiple games for the 49ers. Currently their backup.
Stanley - Most think he'll be drafted. Certainly will be picked up as a free agent and get a shot at camp.

Saying Iowa is bad at recruiting and developing QBs when their last 5 guys are either in the league or had/have a good chance at making it is, well, stupid. Very stupid.

I like the guy. people who don't .. well, I think they better go back and watch some vandentapes. ha ha

Well, Vande's senior year was pure awful. But he was pretty good as a soph/junior. And he played dam well in relief against OSU. Too bad he will be remembered for that senior season.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Well, Vande's senior year was pure awful. But he was pretty good as a soph/junior. And he played dam well in relief against OSU. Too bad he will be remembered for that senior season.
yeah I must admit I forget about him playhing well , ever. I was kind of mad and bitter those years. I was in the mode of driving clear from texas to a game every year , once a year, and spending bucks to see a crap show. I started in 1991 with hayden and it was a tradition every year. it used to make me mad back then. I sort of got out of that mode when my mom passed away in 2014. so towards the end of my moms life we had some really bad games i was watching . {minus ameristanzi of course} then comes Stanley. I have not really seen him live that i can recall. but I like the guy. looking back I have seen some great stuff live though. with hayden and then the 2002 team and tate and chandler and so on. all the sun bowls and alamo bowls and one orange bowl against usc. not bad. good memories over all.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
One of the most productive quarterbacks in
Hawkeye history was Chuck Long. His Coach
Hayden Fry was a former QB himself and
as a result had an offense oriented mind. Fry
nurtured Long as a QB and deserves some
of the credit for Long's success at Iowa.

Reactions: castichawk24
One of the most productive quarterbacks in
Hawkeye history was Chuck Long. His Coach
Hayden Fry was a former QB himself and
as a result had an offense oriented mind. Fry
nurtured Long as a QB and deserves some
of the credit for Long's success at Iowa.
Even Chuck Long got benched for one game after his first start.

Stanzi - 5th round pick, was a backup for a few seasons and bounced around the league for a few years.
Vandenberg - Got a shot with the Vikings, cut during camp.
Rudock - ended up a 6th round pick with the Lions, played multiple games and is currently on a practice squad.
CJ - 3rd round pick, started multiple games for the 49ers. Currently their backup.
Stanley - Most think he'll be drafted. Certainly will be picked up as a free agent and get a shot at camp.

Saying Iowa is bad at recruiting and developing QBs when their last 5 guys are either in the league or had/have a good chance at making it is, well, stupid. Very stupid.
I don't disagree....but there is a difference between an NFL playmaker, and a guy who plays a few games(if any) in the NFL.

They might all sniff the NFL, but none of them are close to elite.

2017 Outback Bowl v Florida. We were down 30-3 late in the 4th Quarter. CJ injured in the first half and started the second. Threw two pick-six if I remember right. UF DB's said after the game that they knew he couldn't runs focused on his passing and knew they'd eventually get him. Stanley played the last few minutes.

He was Long's back up and played in the NFL for 6 seasons. He started only one year, I think.
yes I recall vlasic for sure

"Mark Richard Vlasic (born October 25, 1963) is a former American football quarterback who played in the National Football League (NFL) for six seasons. During this time, he played for the San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Over the course of his career, he played in 15 games, completed 75 of 142 passes for 762 yards, threw four touchdowns and five interceptions, and finished his career with a passer rating of 63.2.

A graduate of Center High School and the University of Iowa, Vlasic was selected 88th in the 1987 NFL Draft by the San Diego Chargers. He was a backup for Dan Fouts during his first season, then started two games the following year. After not seeing playing time in 1989, Vlasic started the season opener in 1990, his last year with San Diego. He played for two seasons with Kansas City and one with Tampa Bay, but was released in 1994, having not had actual playing time since 1991. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Vlasic

2017 Outback Bowl v Florida. We were down 30-3 late in the 4th Quarter. CJ injured in the first half and started the second. Threw two pick-six if I remember right. UF DB's said after the game that they knew he couldn't runs focused on his passing and knew they'd eventually get him. Stanley played the last few minutes.
a lot of people said kf was wrong to play CJ at all after that injury. including the producer of "fistful of quarters". dunno why his opinion matters really. ha ha

and I think the op meant "pulled from the game BECAUSE they were behind, not because of injury. heck a lot of people think he should have been pulled earlier that game and this is yet another example of kf being stubborn

I don't disagree....but there is a difference between an NFL playmaker, and a guy who plays a few games(if any) in the NFL.

What B10 school over the last decade is putting out elite QBs in the NFL?

And nobody is arguing that they’re elite. But they’re a far cry from indicating bad QB recruiting and development. They’ve all made it to or been at the cusp of the highest level for this sport that there is.

None although the last couple at osu have been pretty damn good. Many are working with much better RBs though. Maybe there is a reason the b1g has been missing the cfp?

Mcsorely also seemed to find a way to finish us off each year. Maybe not elite, but he sure knew how to win.

Yeah, but all the Hawks had to put in was a RS freshman with a handful of snaps. You're down 1 score - do you really sit a 3 year starter?

Being at the game, it was brutal watching him spin into sack after sack.

Sit a three year starter? Sure for a drive or two at least. He couldn’t have done any worse.

But now we’ll never know if the backup has any chops to come into a game like that and play well.

We all get to keep guessing and wondering thanks to old Captain K.

Reactions: mariner67
Lou Holtz used to give his entire 2nd team offense an entire series of downs to see if anyone on that squad had game ability.

He is a Legendary coach. If he would sit a starter, I suppose I would too.

Being at the game, it was brutal watching him spin into sack after sack.

Sit a three year starter? Sure for a drive or two at least. He couldn’t have done any worse.

But now we’ll never know if the backup has any chops to come into a game like that and play well.

We all get to keep guessing and wondering thanks to old Captain K.

Once the game is over and is an L, yeah he couldn't have done any worse. But, a pick or a fumble and the game could have been lost sooner.

Thanks to transfers, poor recruiting, or whatever else, the Hawks just didn't have even a decent option to go to IMO.

a lot of people said kf was wrong to play CJ at all after that injury. including the producer of "fistful of quarters". dunno why his opinion matters really. ha ha

and I think the op meant "pulled from the game BECAUSE they were behind, not because of injury. heck a lot of people think he should have been pulled earlier that game and this is yet another example of kf being stubborn

Yeah, I believe he re-injured his groin in the 1st Quarter, maybe the early in the second. We were down the first half, but not by much. Surprised he trotted back out there to start the second half. Think KF said after the game that CJB told the coaches he was good to go for the second half.

I don't remember the year but I think KF sat Rudock and put in CJB in a game at Pittsburgh. I seem to recall we went on to win that game on the road.

What was the last time the starting Iowa QB was pulled from a game
when we were behind?

before-christ.jpg

None although the last couple at osu have been pretty damn good. Many are working with much better RBs though. Maybe there is a reason the b1g has been missing the cfp?

Mcsorely also seemed to find a way to finish us off each year. Maybe not elite, but he sure knew how to win.

I’d easily say Wisconsin has put an elite QB in the NFL.

Even more strange being that they are the most similar program to Iowa’s.

I’d easily say Wisconsin has put an elite QB in the NFL.

Even more strange being that they are the most similar program to Iowa’s.
I assume we're talking about the same guy ;). If so, I don't really count a Sr. transfer. It's like saying jimmy put rudock in the nfl. Technically I guess you can say that, but.....

Reactions: kceasthawk
I don't remember the year but I think KF sat Rudock and put in CJB in a game at Pittsburgh. I seem to recall we went on to win that game on the road.

Rudock was injured though not benched, he missed the Purdue game the following week as well and then a bye the next week before he returned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT