ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for TV watchers

St. Louis Hawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
I was clicking through some click bait on the Top 50 ranked TV show by season per Metacritic.

Justified had 3 seasons in the Top 25. I know nothing of this show except what I can find on the Internets, which is a series of tubes.

Just started The Americans. Dump The Americans and go to Justified? Or stick with The Americans?

TIA.

Last edited:
I was clicking through some click bait on the Top 50 ranked TV show by season per Metacritic.

Justified had 3 seasons in the Top 25. I know nothing of this show except what I can find on the Internets, which is a series of tubes.

Just started The Americans. Dump The Americans and go to Justified? Or stick with The Americans?

TIA.
Watch both of them. They are both absolutely terrific television. (Coincidentally, Margot Martindale has roles in both series).

If, for some reason, I could only watch one of them, I'd go with "Justified" because it has a little bit of everything.....violence, clever plotting, humor. Also, I'm a big fan of several principal actors: Timothy Olyphant, Nick Searcy and, last but not least, the great Walton Goggins.
MV5BOTA1ODcwN2QtMTc5My00OGQ0LTk3NGQtYjVmZmM5ZDg2ZjMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI5NjIyMw@@._V1_UY99_CR38,0,99,99_AL_.jpg

TIA.

Does it have to be either/or? I liked Justified better than The Americans, but I really liked both shows. There has been an explosion in quality TV programming over the last 20 years.

Yep. I have said these last 15 years or so have been the Golden age of "TV".

It's really been a paradigm shift. As home theaters have gotten better and streaming has taken off, it's really become a battle of content. Movies are still an entertainment competitor, but there's been some amazing innovation in TV studio production and while the networks still generate some content, it seems much of the best stuff is coming from HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, AMC, TNT, FX, etc.

It's really been a paradigm shift. As home theaters have gotten better and streaming has taken off, it's really become a battle of content. Movies are still an entertainment competitor, but there's been some amazing innovation in TV studio production and while the networks still generate some content, it seems much of the best stuff is coming from HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, AMC, TNT, FX, etc.
I absolutely agree. I grew up in what's often called the Golden Age of Television, when programs like Studio One and Kraft Television Theater and Playhouse 90 brought high class, live drama to viewers. There was unquestionably a whole lot of good stuff on in those days.....a lot of programs people think of today as movies were first seen on television: "Marty," "Days of Wine and Roses," Requiem for a Heavyweight," etc., etc., etc.

On the other hand, there was a lot of very mediocre stuff, too. And there were only three choices for most Americans at any given time.

But since I started binge-watching about 5-6 years ago to have something to watch while I was on the treadmill, I've been blown away by the quality of the series and the sheer number of them.

We have threads here repeatedly of people asking what they should watch, and there are literally scores of answers, all of them reasonable.

Reactions: goldmom and srams21

TIA.
Both are great. I recommend both shows to friends without hesitation.

The Americans is more serious and actually has some educational value. If I had to, I would rate it higher than Justified. But Justified is more fun.

Watch both of them. They are both absolutely terrific television. (Coincidentally, Margot Martindale has roles in both series).

If, for some reason, I could only watch one of them, I'd go with "Justified" because it has a little bit of everything.....violence, clever plotting, humor. Also, I'm a big fan of several principal actors: Timothy Olyphant, Nick Searcy and, last but not least, the great Walton Goggins.
MV5BOTA1ODcwN2QtMTc5My00OGQ0LTk3NGQtYjVmZmM5ZDg2ZjMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI5NjIyMw@@._V1_UY99_CR38,0,99,99_AL_.jpg

Speaking of Walton Goggins ...

Reactions: 750075 and VodkaSam

TIA.

Did you end up watching Justi?

Did you end up watching Justi?

Yes! Skipped the Americans and started it a couple weeks ago and it’s very solid with the potential for better.

Just finished the episode in Season 1 where they all say you strike at the shepherd and the sheep will scatter when arrested at the camp.

I really like the main character and the Goggins character. He’s great. Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT