ADVERTISEMENT

Inside Biden's obsession with "Morning Joe"

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
I can definitely understand why Joe consider's Morning Joe a "safe space". The fellating is endless...

When White House aides appear on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," they're often booked between 7 and 7:40 a.m. ET. That's so they'll reach one crucial and loyal viewer: President Biden.

Why it matters: Biden's years-long love of MSNBC's staple morning show affects how the White House runs — and who Biden listens to.

Zoom in: The president often calls co-host Joe Scarborough — a former Republican congressman who's now a harsh critic of Donald Trump — to get Scarborough's take on issues and sometimes vent about media coverage, according to people familiar with the relationship.

• During the day, Biden has long asked his staff whether they saw a story, a poll, or a segment that had been on the show. He's included show regulars in off-the-record conversations with policy experts.
  • Biden pays particular attention to — and has consulted with — "Morning Joe" regulars such as longtime reporter Mike Barnicle, foreign policy expert Richard Haass and historian Jon Meacham, who has assisted on several Biden speeches.
Vice President Kamala Harris watches "Morning Joe," too: She and Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff hosted a dinner last month at the vice presidential residence for Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski, his co-host and wife.

• Aides have noted that Harris also tunes into Fox News, and occasionally watches "The Five."
  • Some aides have felt that Fox News' relentlessly negative coverage — first casting her as Biden's all-powerful puppeteer, then later portraying her as incompetent — can drive Harris to distraction.
  • "It got in her head and caused high anxiety because they were constantly hammering her," one former Harris aide told Axios.
Between the lines: Because Biden watches "Morning Joe" so often, most of his top aides watch or track the show to anticipate potential questions from him.

• Biden aides have remarked how longtime Biden aide Steve Ricchetti seems to watch much of the four-hour show every morning. He and other aides often reference the show.
  • A White House official told Axios that many of Biden's top staff members think the show gives Biden a fairer shake on issues than other news shows and media outlets.
In the first months of 2021, Brzezinski requested an interview with Harris as part of the launch of Forbes' "50 Over 50" list.

Zoom out: Biden consults widely with "Morning Joe" contributors.

• The president has included retired Adm. James Stavridis — a "Morning Joe" staple on national security issues — in an off-the-record briefing at the White House with other experts.
  • Biden takes notes and initially refrains from giving his perspective during such sessions because he doesn't want people to tell him what he wants to hear, according to a person familiar with the meetings.
Biden is a big cable news consumer: If "Morning Joe" is his favorite show, his second favorite is probably "Fareed Zakaria GPS" on CNN each Sunday.

• Biden has quoted from Zakaria's show at length, according to a person who has heard his comments. Biden also sat for an interview with Zakaria last year.
  • Aides say Biden respects these voices on cable TV, and loves when they applaud his actions.
  • Some White House aides have bristled at Haass' nuanced public critiques of Biden's foreign policy.
The big picture: This reporter-president dynamic isn't unique to Biden: Every president has their media preferences.

• Donald Trump is obsessed with Fox News, including "Fox and Friends" and "Hannity."
  • Barack Obama was more attuned to magazines, including The New Yorker and The Atlantic.
What they're saying: Scarborough, Brzezinski, and Barnicle declined to comment through an NBC News spokesperson.

• Harris, Haass, and Meacham declined to comment.
  • Stavridis did not respond to a request for comment through his website or an NBC News spokesperson.
  • CNN did not respond to a request for comment.

If true, that's just scary.

It's interesting too because since Joe Scarborough used to be a "Republican," Biden probably views it as listening to the other side, keeping him balanced...

Where in fact JS is no more objective than the Maddows, Hannitys, or Carlson's of the world.

I know trump watched Fox News too religiously.

I guess I'd rather just not know if POTUS is showing poor judgement by watching cable news. I prefer the POTUS ignores the talking heads and makes the news as opposed to being swayed by opinion. BUT when politicians are more concerned about re-election than results, you can see why they'd do it.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Goodness, this is ridiculous….the president shouldn’t have time nor the desire to sit around and watch cable news all day. I hated that about Trump and now to find out Biden is the same…just another sign of my disgust with this years election. These are the two choices (AGAIN)?? Really America? Time to look ourselves in the mirror.

(To be clear…of the two….I will vote for Biden EVERY time….but I hope if reelected he will step down by midterm)

Reactions: McLovin32
Goodness, this is ridiculous….the president shouldn’t have time nor the desire to sit around and watch cable news all day. I hated that about Trump and now to find out Biden is the same…just another sign of my disgust with this years election. These are the two choices (AGAIN)?? Really America? Time to look ourselves in the mirror.

(To be clear…of the two….I will vote for Biden EVERY time….but I hope if reelected he will step down by midterm)
Goodness, this is a nothing burger. Deep breathes.

It's hard to say if the media is an extension of the government or if the government is an extension of the media. Either way, they're all part of the same deep-state cabal that is thwarting democracy and placing power in the hands of an unelected, unaccountable few. Scarborough and the rest of the MSNBC talking heads are owned by the same people that own the government. Oh, and the same goes for FoxNews. All the bickering and fighting that goes on is just window dressing to distract the public from the real goals, which are the concentration of power and maintaining the illusion of choice.
Our democracy was stolen from us decades ago.

Are the people at Morning Joe dictating policy? Because that's when it is a problem. I have no issues with a President being on good terms with certain press and even contacting them from time to time to get a read on what a policy is doing that is outside of the normal bubble. However, when those press people go on air and start complaining about a bill (like an immigration bill) and then the President scuttles the bill that same day (like an immigration bill), that's a problem.

Just to play @THE_DEVIL advocate, but the next generation of politicians is going to be tethered to social media and instant polling.

I’m not sure that’s going to be much better.
Good point

I saw a photo of the House Committee during a break at Mayorkas’ hearing and they were all on their phones. Obviously just a snapshot, but nobody talking to each other. Probably just checking their social media feeds and reinforcing their positions.

Just to play @THE_DEVIL advocate, but the next generation of politicians is going to be tethered to social media and instant polling.

I’m not sure that’s going to be much better.
Social media for sure. I'm not sure how many more times polling can be wildly inaccurate before people finally stop paying much attention to it. Maybe internal polling is still significantly better than what the media is doing.

As Biden would say
"Look, I am an old guy, old guys wake up at 5 am...so while doing my morning workout I have morning Joe on...its no big Fing deal,right?"

I know about being old and watching morning Joe from personal experience.
You can get their main segments in less than a hour before they repeat the last 3 hours.
You flip between cnbc and Bloomberg also.

As Biden would say
"Look, I am an old guy, old guys wake up at 5 am...so while doing my morning workout I have morning Joe on...its no big Fing deal,right?"

I know about being old and watching morning Joe from personal experience.
You can get their main segments in less than a hour before they repeat the last 3 hours.
You flip between cnbc and Bloomberg also.
Whoa whoa whoa....you're attacking the narrative that Biden doesn't do anything but watch TV all day.

Even though bins us stretching the truth here …so what? Trump had Fox… and then remember, Fox has Reoublicanns.
I don’t know what bins is doing here but I think as the election gets closer, he’s getting more “Republican” and that is not a good thing to be this Fall.
I posted an article joel....and they do in fact fellate Joe on a daily basis.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
I was mostly joking with my comment but I’d love a younger batch of candidates.
Wouldn’t take much for the batch to be younger.Curious to see if in another decade. If it’s going to be 90 year old. And will yearn for the days of the 70/80 year olds.

Huh, I always thought it was because Biden wanted to sniff Morning Joe's wife's hair.

If you named these sloots and provided photos of aforementioned sloots we could look at em!

thumbnail_image1-2.jpg

Most people likely just wonder why it bothers to the point that you need to post about it. Though I suppose it's a "both sides" thing due to your lack of substance.
Actually it's just an article from Axios. It doesn't "bother" me but I do find it interesting that the current and last president are apparently addicted to Morning Joe.

Feel free to ignore or get your panties in a bunch. Your choice.

• Love
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I posted an article joel....and they do in fact fellate Joe on a daily basis.
Sol proud you posted an article, bins!
I watch MJ most days….swhich of us is the bigger fool? MJ is far and away the best of the network morning shows as far as entertainment and quality of guests…..has been that way for several years (my opinion)….Congrats bins and you keep posting those articles!

“Biden takes notes and initially refrains from giving his perspective during such sessions because he doesn't want people to tell him what he wants to hear, according to a person familiar with the meetings.”
I did find this, while not surprising, to at least be a reassuring sign that the old bugger hasn’t become attached to the idea that he is already smarter than everyone else and doesn’t need their advice.

No they don't. They RIP MAGA and explain why Trump is a threat to Democracy. Weird you didn't post an article about that.
They were BFFs with Trump all through his campaign in 2016. Got married at Mar Lago. Then one episode they called him a racist. Then Trump made fun of Mika's nose job and since that day, 80% of every episode is about how awful Trump is. Trump...who they were best friends with and helped get elected in 2016.

It's hard to say if the media is an extension of the government or if the government is an extension of the media. Either way, they're all part of the same deep-state cabal that is thwarting democracy and placing power in the hands of an unelected, unaccountable few. Scarborough and the rest of the MSNBC talking heads are owned by the same people that own the government. Oh, and the same goes for FoxNews. All the bickering and fighting that goes on is just window dressing to distract the public from the real goals, which are the concentration of power and maintaining the illusion of choice.
Our democracy was stolen from us decades ago.
Oh Yeah Nod GIF by NETFLIX

Are the people at Morning Joe dictating policy? Because that's when it is a problem. I have no issues with a President being on good terms with certain press and even contacting them from time to time to get a read on what a policy is doing that is outside of the normal bubble. However, when those press people go on air and start complaining about a bill (like an immigration bill) and then the President scuttles the bill that same day (like an immigration bill), that's a problem.

This. . . Joe Biden never scuttled an agreement he made with the Republicans after watching MSNBC. Trump however multiple times scuttled agreements because he tuned into Fox News and Fox News told him it was a bad deal.

Hell I maintain some of those agreements that Trump initially came to with the Dems could have actually made him a pretty effective president if he followed through.

I do not watch often but IF I do watch a political show, Morning Joe is it (or Bill Maher). And yes, they probably did play a role in normalizing Trump. BTW - Joe S used to be on Maher often. Is there a slant? Yes. Anywhere near Hannity or Maddow - no.

• Haha
Reactions: NoWokeBloke
I did find this, while not surprising, to at least be a reassuring sign that the old bugger hasn’t become attached to the idea that he is already smarter than everyone else and doesn’t need their advice.
Always a good attribute.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT