ADVERTISEMENT

Rahm can’t spin his way out of the Chicago street gang wars

obfuscating

HR Legend
Jan 8, 2016
Paul Vallas and others challenging Mayor Rahm Emanuel — and focusing on Chicago’s weak response to the slaughter in the streets — know this about the mayor of Chicago.

He knows how to spin the news.

When he sees criticism coming, Emanuel will offer up some bright, shiny object to change the subject: Like those fanciful Elon Musk sci-fi pneumatic tubes to the airport.

But Chicago’s river of violence overflowed over the weekend, beyond even Emanuel’s capacity to manage the news.

More than 70 people were shot and 12 were killed in weekend shootings, including mass shootings, with few if any arrests. And more have been shot and killed in the days since.

Why don’t people come forward? They’re afraid.

Chicago’s abysmal clearance rates for homicides — about 17 percent last year — can be traced directly to decisions made from City Hall and give the neighborhoods little confidence Emanuel can do much about the bloodshed.

“Emanuel gutted the detective division, now he’s trying to catch up, and the violence in Chicago is out of control,” Vallas told me on Tuesday. “And at some point, you have to put politics aside and you have to manage. The problem is that Emanuel is a D.C. politician, and what do they ever manage in D.C., where every decision made is political? It’s all political, it’s all spin, it’s what they do.”

City Hall calls it “gun violence,” and media cooperates by calling it that, too. But calling it “gun violence” allows Chicago’s political class off the hook.

There are many guns in the suburbs. But the suburbs are not killing grounds. What’s going on in Chicago are street gang wars.

And Cook County’s one-party political class seems incapable of addressing it; from the prosecutors who don’t prosecute, to judges, to the police brass trying to keep their jobs, to Chicago aldermen.

Some aldermen are terrified of the street gangs, which have been intertwined with Chicago politics since the first thugs got out the vote on the first Election Day.

All should be held accountable. But the mayor is most accountable, because he’s the mayor.

When Emanuel walked out before news cameras to react to the crime wave, he demonstrated emotion and outrage. The media likes emotion.

But does emotion carry any real weight with the families of the dead? Does it comfort those who fear their kids will be gunned down tomorrow?

No.

In a city where the street gangs have taken over — where violence carries on through shootings and carjackings even in wealthy neighborhoods like the Gold Coast — talking about feelings just doesn’t cut it anymore.

It’s just noise.

What’s needed is clear policy, which isn’t about emotion, but rather clear thinking.

“Proper policy is about not destroying beat integrity in the Police Department,” Vallas said. “Policy is what I’ve advocated, like rehiring experienced, seasoned detectives to close those murders and give people confidence that something’s being done. But what does Emanuel give the city? Spin.”

Other mayoral candidates, from Garry McCarthy to Lori Lightfoot, also criticized Emanuel’s response to the violence as just so much spin.

At a news conference, Emanuel became emotional and began pointing fingers at others. Standing next to Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson, the mayor put the focus on his cops and on the neighborhoods for remaining silent.

“This is not about the Chicago Police Department, alone,” Emanuel said. “It’s not about a summer jobs program, alone. This is about the fabric of a neighborhood and community — as the superintendent just said — who knows who did this.

“So, if you say enough is enough, you must come forward as a neighborhood where a moral center of gravity holds,” Emanuel said.

“… If you know who did this, be a neighbor. Speak up. Neighbors, come together. The city will be with you shoulder to shoulder,” Emanuel said.

Emanuel was clearly frustrated and angry. Not everything he does is a political act. He’s a father, he loves his kids, I believe he’s torn up by talking to parents about their murdered children.

But when the mayor declared “the city will be with you,” it stopped me.

The city will be with you? Really?

A 17 percent homicide clearance rate isn’t a declaration that the city will be with you. It says quite the opposite. Years of allowing the Police Department to atrophy doesn’t promote confidence.

And making a show of redeploying cops to high crime areas now is desperation.

What parent would have their child testify against a neighborhood shooter when the city does such a poor job in clearing homicides?

It ignores the real world, where the Police Department went fetal after Emanuel’s disastrous handling of the Laquan McDonald police shooting video.

It ignores the real world of a Police Department allowed to grow so thin that detectives were put back in uniform to serve as scarecrows at lakefront festivals where they can be seen by taxpayers.

All this has little to do with solving homicides.

I mean no criticism of Johnson here. If it weren’t for Johnson, Emanuel would be alone, isolated, political toast. He should have some leverage with a desperate Emanuel.

But Eddie Johnson is not the mayor. Emanuel is the mayor.

The other day there was a telling quote from the Rev. Marshall Hatch, pastor of the New Mount Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church on the West Side, about why neighbors don’t come forward.

“You put yourself at risk,” Hatch told the Tribune. “Obviously, the police can’t protect you, and if somebody kills you, they can’t find out who did it.”

That’s the reality of things.

And even Emanuel can’t spin it away.

Reactions: Mattski
Paul Vallas and others challenging Mayor Rahm Emanuel — and focusing on Chicago’s weak response to the slaughter in the streets — know this about the mayor of Chicago.

When he sees criticism coming, Emanuel will offer up some bright, shiny object to change the subject: Like those fanciful Elon Musk sci-fi pneumatic tubes to the airport.

But Chicago’s river of violence overflowed over the weekend, beyond even Emanuel’s capacity to manage the news.

More than 70 people were shot and 12 were killed in weekend shootings, including mass shootings, with few if any arrests. And more have been shot and killed in the days since.

Chicago’s abysmal clearance rates for homicides — about 17 percent last year — can be traced directly to decisions made from City Hall and give the neighborhoods little confidence Emanuel can do much about the bloodshed.

“Emanuel gutted the detective division, now he’s trying to catch up, and the violence in Chicago is out of control,” Vallas told me on Tuesday. “And at some point, you have to put politics aside and you have to manage. The problem is that Emanuel is a D.C. politician, and what do they ever manage in D.C., where every decision made is political? It’s all political, it’s all spin, it’s what they do.”

City Hall calls it “gun violence,” and media cooperates by calling it that, too. But calling it “gun violence” allows Chicago’s political class off the hook.

There are many guns in the suburbs. But the suburbs are not killing grounds. What’s going on in Chicago are street gang wars.

And Cook County’s one-party political class seems incapable of addressing it; from the prosecutors who don’t prosecute, to judges, to the police brass trying to keep their jobs, to Chicago aldermen.

Some aldermen are terrified of the street gangs, which have been intertwined with Chicago politics since the first thugs got out the vote on the first Election Day.

All should be held accountable. But the mayor is most accountable, because he’s the mayor.

When Emanuel walked out before news cameras to react to the crime wave, he demonstrated emotion and outrage. The media likes emotion.

But does emotion carry any real weight with the families of the dead? Does it comfort those who fear their kids will be gunned down tomorrow?

No.

In a city where the street gangs have taken over — where violence carries on through shootings and carjackings even in wealthy neighborhoods like the Gold Coast — talking about feelings just doesn’t cut it anymore.

It’s just noise.

What’s needed is clear policy, which isn’t about emotion, but rather clear thinking.

“Proper policy is about not destroying beat integrity in the Police Department,” Vallas said. “Policy is what I’ve advocated, like rehiring experienced, seasoned detectives to close those murders and give people confidence that something’s being done. But what does Emanuel give the city? Spin.”

Other mayoral candidates, from Garry McCarthy to Lori Lightfoot, also criticized Emanuel’s response to the violence as just so much spin.

At a news conference, Emanuel became emotional and began pointing fingers at others. Standing next to Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson, the mayor put the focus on his cops and on the neighborhoods for remaining silent.

“This is not about the Chicago Police Department, alone,” Emanuel said. “It’s not about a summer jobs program, alone. This is about the fabric of a neighborhood and community — as the superintendent just said — who knows who did this.

“So, if you say enough is enough, you must come forward as a neighborhood where a moral center of gravity holds,” Emanuel said.

“… If you know who did this, be a neighbor. Speak up. Neighbors, come together. The city will be with you shoulder to shoulder,” Emanuel said.

Emanuel was clearly frustrated and angry. Not everything he does is a political act. He’s a father, he loves his kids, I believe he’s torn up by talking to parents about their murdered children.

A 17 percent homicide clearance rate isn’t a declaration that the city will be with you. It says quite the opposite. Years of allowing the Police Department to atrophy doesn’t promote confidence.

What parent would have their child testify against a neighborhood shooter when the city does such a poor job in clearing homicides?

It ignores the real world, where the Police Department went fetal after Emanuel’s disastrous handling of the Laquan McDonald police shooting video.

It ignores the real world of a Police Department allowed to grow so thin that detectives were put back in uniform to serve as scarecrows at lakefront festivals where they can be seen by taxpayers.

I mean no criticism of Johnson here. If it weren’t for Johnson, Emanuel would be alone, isolated, political toast. He should have some leverage with a desperate Emanuel.

The other day there was a telling quote from the Rev. Marshall Hatch, pastor of the New Mount Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church on the West Side, about why neighbors don’t come forward.

“You put yourself at risk,” Hatch told the Tribune. “Obviously, the police can’t protect you, and if somebody kills you, they can’t find out who did it.”

Curious - how would you fix this ?

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
The fact that Rahm gutted the Detective Division of
the Chicago Police Dept. was stupid. He has jolted
the morale of the Police Dept to an extremely low
level. Calling it "gun violence" pretends that there
are no murders worthy to report.

The fact that Rahm gutted the Detective Division of
the Chicago Police Dept. was stupid. He has jolted
the morale of the Police Dept to an extremely low
level. Calling it "gun violence" pretends that there
are no murders worthy to report.
it's in line with the Dem thinking. Abolish ICE, blame the cops for most everything, ec, etc

Reactions: anon_8rcdnbko1jbe0
So, why the fascination with Chicago's murders? They aren't even close to the highest rate out of major cities (Baltimore, NO, Detroit and KC are all significantly higher). Heck, Baltimore has a rate well over double Chicago's and Detroit/New Orleans are nearly double.

That's not to say it can't get a lot better, but is it purely because Obama's buddy is mayor?

Send the rest of them to Iowa. I mean they got a good start on that project. Why not finish it off.

I was looking for a serious discussion on how to stop , slow this. Seems like a vicious cycle that has never changed , it happens in more places than Chicago. See the south side of Nashville , or Tucson.

Reactions: cigaretteman
So, why the fascination with Chicago's murders? They aren't even close to the highest rate out of major cities (Baltimore, NO, Detroit and KC are all significantly higher). Heck, Baltimore has a rate well over double Chicago's and Detroit/New Orleans are nearly double.

That's not to say it can't get a lot better, but is it purely because Obama's buddy is mayor?

Mainly because Obama.

Reactions: dekhawk

Blacks. Nobody ever gets murdered in Naperville, Wyoming, or Brooklyn, Iowa.

I was looking for a serious discussion on how to stop , slow this. Seems like a vicious cycle that has never changed , it happens in more places than Chicago. See the south side of Nashville , or Tucson.

It’s about the gun violence which is very much a part of the black culture. You have many very poor white neighborhoods and many trailer parks that have crime, but a different type of crime. Gun violence is a very big part of the culture here and it is much harder to fix than these people blaming a lack of jobs and such. Obviously it all starts with the broken families and lack of importance towards education. The culture is a very difficult one to break.

it's in line with the Dem thinking. Abolish ICE, blame the cops for most everything, ec, etc

Rahm cut two divisions of detectives after the city finished paying $100+ million for the detectives that tortured people.

And I don’t believe getting rid of poor performing detectives is a bad thing. These guys aren’t Jimmy McNulty and Bunk. We did a case with Loevy where Chicago detectives failed to realize that a material witness had a twin sister with a similar name. They interviewed the wrong sister and moved on.

Last edited:
Reactions: ft254
It’s about the gun violence which is very much a part of the black culture. You have many very poor white neighborhoods and many trailer parks that have crime, but a different type of crime. Gun violence is a very big part of the culture here and it is much harder to fix than these people blaming a lack of jobs and such. Obviously it all starts with the broken families and lack of importance towards education. The culture is a very difficult one to break.

It is the gang culture more than the black culture. The murder rate in cities like New York is remarkably low compared to historical data. Chicago in entrenched in gang warfare. Easy access to guns makes the situation worse.

What about other cities where this happens that are red cities ? You like to ignore those.
Which ones?

If those cities that you're about to cite have had uninterrupted Republican control for 50 straight years and steadily high violent crimes rates, then yes they should stop voting Republican.

It is the gang culture more than the black culture. The murder rate in cities like New York is remarkably low compared to historical data. Chicago in entrenched in gang warfare. Easy access to guns makes the situation worse.
Well, you can say it is the gang culture, but it still revolves around the same people.

Which ones?

If those cities that you're about to cite have had uninterrupted Republican control for 50 straight years and steadily high violent crimes rates, then yes they should stop voting Republican.

You lose this argument. Crime rates, including violent crimes for most cities have declined for years. Better do your research before you make claims.

I'm not the poster you addressed that question to, but here's one way:

Actually have judges that are willing to throw the thugs into jail when they are caught committing crimes?
That's reactive only. Think bigger. Proactive. Research the deeply disturbing history of Chicago as it relates to segregation, disinvestment, corruption, redlining, all kinds of factors. Try again?

You lose this argument. Crime rates, including violent crimes for most cities have declined for years. Better do your research before you make claims.
Sounds like something Rahm Emanuel would say to let everybody know that everything's fine.

And I didn't say increasing.. I said high. Just an FYI

Last edited:
What do you think would be different?
Who knows.. but it would be different.. which is the point.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting something different.. well you know how that saying goes.

Did you watch the last election? All they seemed to do was reach out to people and organizations who had issues with the police.

I am a news junkie and I didn't see what you are saying. I did see efforts to address racial issues, including racial profiling and questionable police tactics. But we shouldn't be need to be addressing the issues in 2016,17,18. As long as conversations regarding these or any subjects are objective and constructive, they should be put forth and discussed with open and receptive minds.

Oh...so Rahm and past Chicago mayors haven’t spun dry the news, Ciggy?

Kass has tended to call it like he sees it...regardless of the political party identifier in front of a politician or candidate.

I’m curious: so you think things are going particularly well in a Chicago?

Kass used to be that way. Then he went full Hillary Derangement Syndrome. And while he's not a full-throated Trump supporter, he resorts to apologism and deflection. He is constantly on a tirade about Madigan and Emanuel. Criticism seems warranted here, but I could understand why Ciggy would be quick to dismiss it, being that a lot of his columns are written with partisan blinders. Though I love his taste in sports teams.

Kass used to be that way. Then he went full Hillary Derangement Syndrome. And while he's not a full-throated Trump supporter, he resorts to apologism and deflection. He is constantly on a tirade about Madigan and Emanuel. Criticism seems warranted here, but I could understand why Ciggy would be quick to dismiss it, being that a lot of his columns are written with partisan blinders. Though I love his taste in sports teams.

Look...all entities in Illinois are corrupt. Schools, social services, police, and especially government. They are all black holes where dollars disappear and very little in terms of services or progress is returned.

Kass bashes Madigan??? Go figure. The guy is an apex predator of corruption.

For Ciggy to ignore Kass’s words because they’re “wingbut” is weak sauce. Emmanuel inherited a hot mess but has done little to change the culture. Ciggy pens his “thoughts” from Iowa (via pasted articles) and assumes that Obama’s “guy” is under fire for no good reason.

Reactions: Mattski

No.

It’s just noise.

trump said he knew a couple of cops that could fix the problem in Chicago immediately. He didn't say what the plan was, but of course, he LIED LIED LIED LIED.

Who knows.. but it would be different.. which is the point.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting something different.. well you know how that saying goes.

You might not know this but Rahm isn’t doing the same thing Daley did. In fact his police chiefs have been significantly more aggressive in going after gang members.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT