ADVERTISEMENT

Rank how bad you want this of any of your teams to make a championship series...

Menace Sockeyes

HB Legend
Sep 2, 2010
I was too young for Iowa football having an outside shot in 1985. The 2005 White Sox World Series, 2009 USMNT Confederations Cup Final vs Brazil, 2010 Blackhawks' Stanley Cup and 2021 Iowa wrestling were unforgettable, but none of them were on this level. We're Iowa. We aren't supposed to be this good at such a high profile sport. With the eyes of the nation on us in a way that only football could compete with. And it's my alma mater I grew up by, in the state I grew up in. And on top of that, I have fallen in LOVE with this team like none other. Especially because my daughters have fallen in love with this team and I've taken them to games since they were tots. I honestly think I would bawl my eyes out if they won a natty. I haven't wanted a championship for a team this bad in my lifetime, AINEC. I can't be the only one, right?

I’m going to attempt to be concise as opposed to my typical lengthy soliloquy on a question like this…

I was a wrestler, not a basketball player, and I’ve always loved football… With that said up until about 2000 I was a huge basketball fan… The Alford scenario and the fan fall out sort of wrecked basketball for me for quite a while and then Lickliter came along.

Football on the other hand I am an absolute diehard. And I would love to win a national championship, but I don’t want that more than to see these girls rip off two more wins!!!

I was too young for Iowa football having an outside shot in 1985. The 2005 White Sox World Series, 2009 USMNT Confederations Cup Final vs Brazil, 2010 Blackhawks' Stanley Cup and 2021 Iowa wrestling were unforgettable, but none of them were on this level. We're Iowa. We aren't supposed to be this good at such a high profile sport. With the eyes of the nation on us in a way that only football could compete with. And it's my alma mater I grew up by, in the state I grew up in. And on top of that, I have fallen in LOVE with this team like none other. Especially because my daughters have fallen in love with this team and I've taken them to games since they were tots. I honestly think I would bawl my eyes out if they won a natty. I haven't wanted a championship for a team this bad in my lifetime, AINEC. I can't be the only one, right?

Oh and I will cry, I assure you that. I would likely cry if we smoke UCONN tomorrow.

A national championship for our girls would be great, don't get me wrong.

However, even if they lose tomorrow I'll be fine with it. By making the Final Four (over LSU, no less!), they exceeded my expectations for this season.

It would be nice for the Hawks to win a national championship in a major sport during my lifetime (I don't count the 1958 football title because I was only a few months old).

The past 2 seasons have been magical, and it's sad that it's coming to an end. Will I cry if they win the next 2? Maybe!

A national championship for our girls would be great, don't get me wrong.

However, even if they lose tomorrow I'll be fine with it. By making the Final Four (over LSU, no less!), they exceeded my expectations for this season.

It would be nice for the Hawks to win a national championship in a major sport during my lifetime (I don't count the 1958 football title because I was only a few months old).

The past 2 seasons have been magical, and it's sad that it's coming to an end. Will I cry if they win the next 2? Maybe!
I would be disappointed to not beat UCONN at this point. Partly because I know we are very capable and partly because it's one step short of where last season's team was. If we make the natty and lose a war to South Carolina wouldn't feel devastating though.

The 2020 Chiefs one was pretty big for me. My step dad/mentor/all around amazing person who passed away years ago was a huge Chiefs fan and trained me into one. So them winning that Superbowl really made me think of him.

I want the Hawkeyes to win this more than that Superbowl.

I would be disappointed to not beat UCONN at this point. Partly because I know we are very capable and partly because it's one step short of where last season's team was. If we make the natty and lose a war to South Carolina wouldn't feel devastating though.

This…⬆️. Yes, I want to win it all, yes, I think we can beat South Carolina. And as a sidenote, keeping in mind, I’m projecting a little bit here, but I do have pretty good instincts and intuition. That Iowa loss was extremely personal to Dawn Stanley, and I truly believe she is desperate to play them and beat them with CC on the team, so that would be fantastic to win again …

But if you followed my posting all year about 12+ games into the season, I was not that convinced we had what it took, nor that we were better than last year’s team. But from the first Indiana game on. I knew we were easily one of the best teams, and as the season grew I “knew” that we were the second best team after South Carolina….

How can you really be upset if you end up losing to a team that is a juggernaut and probably is a little better, right?

But UCONN is NOT better!!!

The 2020 Chiefs one was pretty big for me. My step dad/mentor/all around amazing person who passed away years ago was a huge Chiefs fan and trained me into one. So them winning that Superbowl really made me think of him.

I want the Hawkeyes to win this more than that Superbowl.

Great analogy, I may have shared this before, but I only have one hard-core favorite team, and that is the University of Iowa, I don’t have a favorite football team in the pros, basketball team, baseball team.

I do have a handful of surrogate college football and basketball teams. I like quite a bit, but Iowa is it for me..

But my dad who died 8ish years ago and I literally just started crying, loved the Chiefs and that Super Bowl win was a big deal for me…. But it was really for him.

This would be for me…🥰

It's not very often that I feel like there is a real possibility that an Iowa team can win a national championship. I will be devastated if they don't win.

This times a billion. I just feel like this is the one opportunity Iowa has to win something meaningful besides wrestling. Add in the fact that I just want it so bad for Caitlin who has been nothing but the best representative for everything Iowa. I think I want it even more for her and the rest of the ladies than I do for myself.

Admittedly. If Iowa pulls it off, I will likely have to make a mad dash to the restroom pretending I am about to poop myself so my wife and kids don't see me cry. They would make fun of me.

Honestly, great if they win, if they don't, they don't. I am a huge sports fan but I have never really felt overjoyed if they win, or even a bit sad if they lost. So many more important things in life than sports.

One time, I was a bit sad when Spencer Lee lost. Maybe more shocked and felt bad for him.

Well, I grew up in Iowa, spent the last 20 years in Florida. So my list of teams are: Hawkeyes, Cubs, and the Tampa Bay Lightning.

The Cubs winning the World Series in 2016 is at the top of my list.
After that, the Tampa Bay Lightning winning back to back cups.
Followed by the Buccaneers, in a pretty distant third. I've always been a more casual NFL fan.

Where would an Iowa championship in either hoops for football rank? Yeah, either of those might take the cake. Especially if it was men's hoops - I've been a hardcore Iowa basketball fan since the 80's, so that's always been my true passion. Seeing them win it all would be the ultimate, but since they are never going to sniff a title, the women's team will do!

As proud as I am of the Hawkeye women getting to back to back FF's, it'll sting a bit if they don't come away with a natty. But, no regrets if they don't. Still proud either way. Just feels like last year and this year is THE chance. I hope they can pull it off.

The only time I cried over a sporting event was when the Packers won the Super Bowl after the 1996 season. I had been a fan since 1968. I completely missed the Lombardi years and had no idea who they were, or their history.

I suffered thru almost 30 years of mostly futility and ineptitude. When they finally won the Super Bowl, my happiness was indescribable.

Before the season started I didn't believe Iowa had the front court to be viable contenders to reach the Final 4.
For me advancing beyond the Sweet 16 made this a very good year, Making the Final 4 has made it incredible, Anything else is just Gravy for me.

On the good side - The Cubs finally wining the series was HUGE for me. 60 years old and a lifelong fan, it was about time!

Winning the championship with this team would be awesome! Amazing! But, not as good as the Cubs winning it.

On the sad side -

- The 1985 Football team had a chance before the loss at OSU in a downpour. But I desperately wanted to win the Rose Bowl. That's why Ronnie will always be a goat to me. (goat, not GOAT).

- The 1980 loss to Louisville when Ronnie injured his knee was heartbreaking.

- The 1970 loss to Jacksonville was devastating.

- The 1987 loss to UNLV was devastating and heartbreaking.

Not winning the championship will be very disappointing, but it won't match the pain of those losses.

I’m a Cubs fan. When they won I was excited and said I wouldn’t be one of those fans where only one title wasn’t good enough. The Cubs have bought at least a decade of good will from me before I start complaining about postseason success. Is it unfortunate that they didn’t win another with that roster, sure. But I’m not going to get greedy. I do however expect that I’ll see them challenge again in the next decade or two because of the nature of MLB.

For Iowa WBB, this is it. I don’t expect us to ever have the undisputed best player in the country again. I also don’t expect them to win it all, but it would be awesome. I don’t expect to see them playing for a title again in my lifetime. WBB is too dominated by a small handful of schools. Although I’m hopeful that there is a shift coming as Geno and the other dominant coaches retire in the next few years.

I want another Bears Super Bowl win more than anything for my teams. 2005 White Sox was great. I think the Celtics and Dodgers will win another in my lifetime. Doubtful for the Canadiens, Iowa Football or Basketball.

The Iowa women are close and it would be awesome for the program.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Honestly, great if they win, if they don't, they don't. I am a huge sports fan but I have never really felt overjoyed if they win, or even a bit sad if they lost. So many more important things in life than sports.

One time, I was a bit sad when Spencer Lee lost. Maybe more shocked and felt bad for him.
I jumped for joy when The Catch happened in the Capital One Bowl.

As a 40-year follower of Iowa athletics, I can say I have never been more invested in a team more than I am with this team this year. It has a lot to do with Clark and just the way her presence has elevated the program to a spot I never thought they would get to. It's so rare that one player can change the trajectory of a program, but we have witnessed just that. A generational player whose mark will be felt for years to come and to have that once as a Hawk fan is truly awesome. It only seems right that a player like Clark should ride off into the sunset with a national title.

When this is all done, no matter how it ends, I will legit cry tears of sadness because this run is over.

CC is incredible, no doubt. But I think it's the rest of the team that makes this so special.

At most, we have two games left.

At some point, this team will walk off the court and we will never see them together again.

That just makes me sad.

I graduated from Iowa late 80s and went to Boston area for grad school late 80s early 90s. Became a Sox and Bruins fan while there.

Saw the Bruins beat the Canadiens in the postseason for the first time in forever. That was pretty special. They never won the Cup while I was there, but have since. Also pretty significant in my sorts fandom life, but nothing like CC and these Hawks.

Red Sox comeback over the Yanks and then the sweep against the Cards in 04 I think will always have to rank #1 for me. There’s just so much there. Absolutely I cried when that happened.

IF CC and TEAM can pull this off, this will finish a very, very close second to that. Was never invested enough in either wrestling or field hockey at Iowa for any of those to mean that much. Rose Bowl in 86, West Regional Final in 87, and last year’s Women’s CG were all heartbreaking. To win it all this year, with this group of amazing women, would be the pinnacle, if not for The Curse.

If they lose tomorrow or Sunday, I will cry a little, but more for losing them than for losing a game.

If they win it all, I will bawl like a baby for sure.

It is the one right in front of us. So it is the one I want the most but as disappointed as I would be if we lost I will forever remember and cherish these last few years. Some of the best two sports in Iowa history that I have seen for sure. Proud as hell.

The only time I cried over a sporting event was when the Packers won the Super Bowl after the 1996 season. I had been a fan since 1968. I completely missed the Lombardi years and had no idea who they were, or their history.

I suffered thru almost 30 years of mostly futility and ineptitude. When they finally won the Super Bowl, my happiness was indescribable.
I was a youngster during Lombardi era. For a long time I never thought I would see a SB again.

Reactions: 83Hawk
On the good side - The Cubs finally wining the series was HUGE for me. 60 years old and a lifelong fan, it was about time!

Winning the championship with this team would be awesome! Amazing! But, not as good as the Cubs winning it.

On the sad side -

- The 1985 Football team had a chance before the loss at OSU in a downpour. But I desperately wanted to win the Rose Bowl. That's why Ronnie will always be a goat to me. (goat, not GOAT).

- The 1980 loss to Louisville when Ronnie injured his knee was heartbreaking.

- The 1970 loss to Jacksonville was devastating.

- The 1987 loss to UNLV was devastating and heartbreaking.

Not winning the championship will be very disappointing, but it won't match the pain of those losses.
Same for me.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
and your question was what?

I'm seeing all this opinion about playing SC and we havent beaten UCONN yet. It's just this thinking that can beat us. Bluder says her players don't look at social media and I hope that's true. They'll need to play a great game to beat UCONN.

mens basketball..for my Dad. I'd trade a women's NC for a men's final four in a second.

Oh and I will cry, I assure you that. I would likely cry if we smoke UCONN tomorrow.
I've been crying since these Hawkeyes beat LSU. It just seems like this TEAM has earned this, that they deserve it. Sure, the other teams feel the same way, but they're not the Hawkeyes, they don't have Lisa and staff, and they don't have Caitlin Clark.

Yes, I want this. I really, really want this for all those tremendous young women who have worked so hard and represented themselves and their university with incomparable grace, grit, and greatness.

They deserved a better fate last year after defeating the unbeaten South Carolina. This is Hawkeye time. Iowa women's basketball - 2024 national champions.

I'm seeing all this opinion about playing SC and we havent beaten UCONN yet. It's just this thinking that can beat us. Bluder says her players don't look at social media and I hope that's true. They'll need to play a great game to beat UCONN.
UConn would have to play an even greater game to beat CC and Iowa. So, there's that. :)

I’ll be thrilled or sad, but not devastated. After last year, just enjoying this magical carpet ride wherever it takes us and them. And thankful. The close misses of other sports/years probably hurt more cuz this has been so wonderful and , already, historic. I WILL ask for more, but will survive no matter what the next 24-72 hours brings. Great to be a Hawkeye!!

What happened last year was like if the 1980 US Men's Hockey Team had lost to Finland. It had that feel to it.

This year, it feels more like we are playing with house money. Getting back to the Final Four, and doing it by besting "Finland" no less, has validated last season and the entire program. Make no mistake...if we lose either tonight or Sunday, Ol' Doodle will be disappointed. But we have acquitted ourselves nicely this year and anything up to and including the natty will be gravy.

That said, it would be a lie for Doodle to claim there wouldn't be a few onions being chopped nearby should we be so fortunate as to hear "In Heaven There Is No Beer" in the background of the TV broadcast at around 8:30 p.m. Central Time on Sunday.

This…⬆️. Yes, I want to win it all, yes, I think we can beat South Carolina. And as a sidenote, keeping in mind, I’m projecting a little bit here, but I do have pretty good instincts and intuition. That Iowa loss was extremely personal to Dawn Stanley, and I truly believe she is desperate to play them and beat them with CC on the team, so that would be fantastic to win again …

But if you followed my posting all year about 12+ games into the season, I was not that convinced we had what it took, nor that we were better than last year’s team. But from the first Indiana game on. I knew we were easily one of the best teams, and as the season grew I “knew” that we were the second best team after South Carolina….

How can you really be upset if you end up losing to a team that is a juggernaut and probably is a little better, right?

But UCONN is NOT better!!!
All I can say is Ditto.
Time for new blood at the top.

Reactions: cmhawks99
All fans look past the game right in front of them.
That's why the 2nd string QB is better than the first string QB.

The one you couldn't even watch, you mean?

My emotional investment in sports has dramatically declined, so I'm not swinging high or low like I used to. The most meaningful would have been a football title. Things like the Stanzi injury and the RJ Scott game are the biggest gut punches I've experienced. I was lucky enough in my prime fandom to have seen my NFL and NHL teams win twice each. Man United didn't win the Champions League while I was watching, but they've won plenty of things.

About the only thing that would really move the needle nowadays would be if the USMNT finally won a gott-danged World Cup.

I’ll stick with times my teams were in championship events only.

The Cubs finally winning the World Series is number one. I had so much pent up energy during game 7 I went outside and ran around in the yard after the final out. There were a few tears. 😂

Number two is Spencer Lee’s quest for #4. I was crushed. Not for myself, but I wanted it so much for him I could hardly sleep afterward. My favorite wrestler of all time.

The women’s run last year and this year will be tied for third (if we beat UConn). It’s been a joy to watch them succeed and the dozens of spectacular performances we’ve seen Caitlin have will be enough to satisfy me win or lose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT