ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the new Big Ten football Jobs

swagsurfer02

HR King
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2010
We have new members coming into the league and divisions are done….. let’s rank the new conference’s jobs from best to worst. If you want to give reasoning, please do..

1. Ohio St
2. USC
3. Michigan
4. Oregon
5. Penn St
6. Washington
7. Wisconsin
8. UCLA
9. Iowa
10. Michigan St
11. Nebraska
12. Minnesota
13. Maryland
14. Illinois
15. Purdue
16. Northwestern
17. Rutgers
18. Indiana

That's list is pretty solid. I would rank USC #1 because of recruiting grounds. UCLA over every B1G school outside of tOSU and Michigan for the same reasons.

I think Iowa is too high but I don't know what your metric is. A great job because of support system but one of the harder jobs based on geography.

That's list is pretty solid. I would rank USC #1 because of recruiting grounds. UCLA over every B1G school outside of tOSU and Michigan for the same reasons.

I think Iowa is too high but I don't know what your metric is. A great job because of support system but one of the harder jobs based on geography.
UCLA over EVERY B10 school? No. They'd have different results throughout history if this was true.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Solid list. Personally I think Penn St and Washington are tied, but otherwise this is a solid list.

UCLA seems like it has amazing potential for a culture coach who wants to go there and establish his own thing.

In the short term the position is fine, but in the long term Oregon is too high. Phil Knight is going to die one day and the Nike money will dry up. When that happens they are a different program. They were basically a .500 or worse program until the late 90s when the money started flowing in.

UCLA is too high. If they really were that high then they’ve been massively underachieving through most of their history. Going back to 1990 they have five 10 win seasons through six head coaches. Iowa has nine during that same time frame through only two coaches.

In the short term the position is fine, but in the long term Oregon is too high. Phil Knight is going to die one day and the Nike money will dry up. When that happens they are a different program. They were basically a .500 or worse program until the late 90s when the money started flowing in.

UCLA is too high. If they really were that high then they’ve been massively underachieving through most of their history. Going back to 1990 they have five 10 win seasons through six head coaches. Iowa has nine during that same time frame through only two coaches.

I agree, UCLA has completely under achieved for where they are located at. Also, I think Oregon has established themselves so it may not completely depend on Phil Knight who I bet will have some type of deal to continue funneling money to Oregon once he’s gone.

I would be with you on Iowa, but they are the opposite of UCLA. They have over achieved. I think if you were bringing in 4 more teams similar to Rutgers and Maryland, Iowa would be fine but instead you are bringing in 3 teams similar or better in caliber to Penn St and another team on par with like a Michigan St or Wisconsin.

Knight has a net worth of $45 billion. He could give $2 billion to the Oregon Foundation and give the football team $100 million a year ... forever.

I think getting those west coast schools will help BIG recruiting now that we'll get exposure there. Is there a Texas school worth bringing in? FSU would help in Florida recruiting.

Iowa is good school for most sports besides MBB.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Is this based on right now or in general?

Regardless, I would bump Nebraska up to 7 and Maryland over Minny. Maybe USC over OSU. Everything else looks good.

IMO Nebraska should be in the bottom three - hugely unrealistic expectations to make playoffs within 3 years of getting hired or the coach is done. Rinse and repeat...Rinse and repeat...

I would rank iowa first. Yes there are recruiting difficulties- but if you are not an ass, win 8, you will have job stability, kids can stay in same school district. Yes we have some a- hole fans but they are mostly confined to here

Solid list. Personally I think Penn St and Washington are tied, but otherwise this is a solid list.

UCLA seems like it has amazing potential for a culture coach who wants to go there and establish his own thing.
College sports just don't garner much interest in California anymore. They've had decent coaches with marginal success. USC isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Washington and even Oregon are not long-term solid.

Money wise top 25 - No UCLA, No USC.
Underachievers - Iowa (close to about right, but any team that poor on O), MSU, IU, Kentucky, Auburn, TAMU, Florida

Once Washington and Oregon get into a real conference, it will be shown they don't have the depth to compete for championships. The weather is really overrated as seen by Rodgers and GB.

Washington has a really good QB who had bad injuries, but when you look into the reports, he had more tissue damage than structural damage compared to what Cade likely had. They aren't going long repeatedly on Iowa, Michigan, PSU, and OSU. They can do what TN did to Iowa (through underneath and had QB move around), but Penix didn't survive the Big trying to be really mobile.

Iowa's biggest issue isn't going to be the West Coast teams as much as Iowa will be their biggest. I wouldn't be so down on Deacon if he wasn't obese (he's not just overweight and I don't know how a college QB gets that way). Deacon showed some moxy and awareness, but just couldn't move and had almost zero for an O line. Under the right coach with an O Line, he might be pretty good. The most impressive play he did was the lateral in the right position going down for a near safety. The kid does have awareness. Drop 35 pounds and get a line, and he might be more than serviceable.

I think the new OC might be still coaching in some capacity. The new AD hasn't shown that she won't stand on Kirk to get a real OC.

Top schools in 2022 in athletic revenue via
@usatodaysports
(in millions of dollars)1-Ohio State $2512-Texas $2393-Alabama $2144-Michigan $2105-Georgia $2036-LSU $1997-Texas A&M $1938-Florida $1909-Penn State $18110-Oklahoma $17711-Auburn $17412-Michigan State $17213-Indiana $16614-Virginia $161.915-Florida State $161.116-Kentucky $15917-Clemson $15818-Tennessee $15419-Oregon $15320-Arkansas $15221-Iowa $15122-Wisconsin $15023-Louisville $14624-Illinois $145.725-Washington $145.1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT