ADVERTISEMENT

Rashida Tlaib accused of anti-Semitic slur, days after profane anti-Trump tirade

I’m an atheist. I won’t say that I’m a republican, but I am more not a democrat than I am not a republican. I don’t give a rip about the book of revelation. I am largely anti-religion. It’s ideas. I think Islam is a collection of bad ideas and that Islamic dominated countries do not behave in a way consistent with Western concepts of freedom, fairness or equality. I see no US connection to Islam historically aside from warring with Muslim pirates early in our country’s development. We have no reason to encourage the injection of Islamic thought into our cultural mileu. Thus, I have no problem prioritizing other immigration groups to fill our immigration needs.

Israel is a Western style democracy. I have many Israeli friends. They aren’t all that religious. The Palestinian issue has been going on for a long time. The conflicts in the region are ancient. Israel is constantly attacked. I am not seeing great potential for co-existence there. Why support the Islamic theocracies?

You think the Palestinians are the only ones who've ever attacked? They literally had their land, their villages, and their ability to thrive ripped away from them by the UN and given to someone else. Sure, there's great anger between middle eastern countries and Israel thanks to religion and they were hit with a war upon being put in place which they quickly put down. After that they then stole a bunch more land. Are the people and families who were living there and keep having their land stolen from them for Israel to build illegal settlements just supposed to be happy?

I agree, Hamas just made it worse, but the people of Palestine (Which also includes a fairly significant population of Christians) just got thrown in the middle. They didn't start the war, but they're sure as hell still living as victims of the war.

I also have many friends of Middle Eastern descent. Some still live in those countries, others here. And they're not all the fascist, extremists we've been led to believe. That's actually a minority of those populations, but because they make the most noise and are literally willing to die for their beliefs, do hold more control.

But even if your logic that we have nothing in common with people of Middle Eastern heritage was true, that still doesn't validate what Israel is doing to the people of Palestine.

You think the Palestinians are the only ones who've ever attacked? They literally had their land, their villages, and their ability to thrive ripped away from them by the UN and given to someone else. Sure, there's great anger between middle eastern countries and Israel thanks to religion and they were hit with a war upon being put in place which they quickly put down. After that they then stole a bunch more land. Are the people and families who were living there and keep having their land stolen from them for Israel to build illegal settlements just supposed to be happy?

I agree, Hamas just made it worse, but the people of Palestine (Which also includes a fairly significant population of Christians) just got thrown in the middle. They didn't start the war, but they're sure as hell still living as victims of the war.

I also have many friends of Middle Eastern descent. Some still live in those countries, others here. And they're not all the fascist, extremists we've been led to believe. That's actually a minority of those populations, but because they make the most noise and are literally willing to die for their beliefs, do hold more control.

But even if your logic that we have nothing in common with people of Middle Eastern heritage was true, that still doesn't validate what Israel is doing to the people of Palestine.

Note, there were multiple wars. Wasn’t just the UN. The history of the area is quite complicated. Two state solutions have previously been discussed and agreed upon to various extents but the Palestinians (Eg Arafat) don’t behave in good faith. Israel has a bit of a conundrum there that isn’t easy to solve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT