ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Nagel had passed.....

83Hawk

HR Legend
Sep 17, 2002
Former Iowa head football coach Ray Nagel passed away this morning in San Antonio. He was 87. Sorry, I don't have a link.

R.I.P. Coach.
tired.r191677.gif

No coach in Iowa history dealt with as much adversity. First off, he was like the 4th choice after Burns was canned because the word was out that Evy was a monster as an AD. (ie the Barry Alvarez of his day). Nagel had a boycott of black players in 69 and an AD who was literally plotting against him in a 15th century English Court style way.

Despite that, he had some of the most exciting offensive teams in Iowa history and I believe they still hold some records. 68 was incredible.

RIP Coach Nagel.

He also turned down the head coaching job at Nebraska in 1962. They hired Bob Devaney instead.

Im still trying to get confirmation that he did indeed pass.

He is only two years older than Fry. He was young when he was Iowa's coach. If he had not been hamstrung by the the Machiavellian Evy, who knows what would have happened. Obviously, he had a great mind for offensive football.

Just looking up some of the offensive records Nagel's team had despite only being 5-5.

The Hawks averaged 36.6 pts per game breaking 34.5 pts. per game held by Michigan in the 1943 season.

The Hawks averaged 482 yds per game beating the Purdue record of 450.7 yds per game held in 1967.

The Hawks averaged 25.9 1st downs per game tying the 1967 mark also held by Purdue.

The Hawks scored a total of 256 pts. in the Big 10 season topping 225 pts per game held by Purdue.

In the 1968 game against NW Iowa set a Big 10 record at that time of 639 rushing yds and individual rushing yds. by Ed Podolak for that time of 286 yds

The 1968 offense was led by Ed Podolak, Denny Green, Larry Lawrence, Al Bream, and Jon Meskim

Just a final comment is that I was at that game and watched Iowa beat NW 68-34. It was probably the best offensive rushing game I have ever seen at Iowa. To know how good Ed Podolak was while playing at Iowa, I only have to go back to that game. Of course he wasn't the only one but he was the man in 1968.

Originally posted by JRHawk2003:
Im still trying to get confirmation that he did indeed pass.

He is only two years older than Fry. He was young when he was Iowa's coach. If he had not been hamstrung by the the Machiavellian Evy, who knows what would have happened. Obviously, he had a great mind for offensive football.
I got this from facebook posts by 2 of my cousins, who knew the Nagel family. I doubt this is joke, but I have not been able to find confirmation anywhere, either. I'm sure it is true, though.....my cousins (both female) would not post something like this if it wasn't.

As a Hawkeye fan, Ray Nagel was a bit before my time but everything that I have read about the man depicts a first class man and under-rated coach. He was simply not given the support he needed to succeed.

He was the first coach I remember. Living down here in San Antonio I will see what I can find. I wish I knew he was living down here. I would have looked him up and talked.

Originally posted by KuwaitHawk:

He was the first coach I remember. Living down here in San Antonio I will see what I can find. I wish I knew he was living down here. I would have looked him up and talked.
I can't say for sure if Ray was living in San Antonio or he died there. His son Ray lives there.

I still haven't found confirmation anywhere, though Bruce Nagel's facebook page has a few condolences on it.

I did get some confirmation that he passed, but there is literally no news of this. That seems pretty surprising to me that Iowa news outlets wouldn't even make note of an ex Hawkeye Football coach passing. I know they did when FXL and Commings passed away.

I did get some confirmation that he passed, but there is literally no news of this. That seems pretty surprising to me that Iowa news outlets wouldn't even make note of an ex Hawkeye Football coach passing. I know they did when FXL and Commings passed away.
Social media sometimes gets news out faster than desired--sometimes much faster. Once had to race to a high school to let a Daughter know her Mom--my Wife--had passed. She was about to sit down in the cafeteria and check Her FB--not the way to get that news and no way to prevent... Just getting the word out, People need to be considerate of things...

Yes, surprising, since he was more than a former Iowa coach....AD at Washington State and Hawaii, and executive director of the Hula Bowl.

Originally posted by MadDogC:

Social media sometimes gets news out faster than desired--sometimes much faster. Once had to race to a high school to let a Daughter know her Mom--my Wife--had passed. She was about to sit down in the cafeteria and check Her FB--not the way to get that news and no way to prevent... Just getting the word out, People need to be considerate of things...
I get that. In this case we are talking about someone who was in part at least a public figure. I realize he was retired, but he certainly was high profile as a Big 10 head football coach and Pac 10 AD.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ex-iowa-hawkeyes-utah-utes-coach-ray-nagel-dies-at-87-012115

"We
are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and
to be present with the Lord." - See more at:
http://www.truthaboutdeath.com/q-and-a/id/1601/doesnt-paul-say-that-to-be-absent-from-the-body-is-to-be-present-with-the-lord#sthash.Ht5jC7PA.dpuf
"We
http://www.truthaboutdeath.com/q-and-a/id/1601/doesnt-paul-say-that-to-be-absent-from-the-body-is-to-be-present-with-the-lord#sthash.Ht5jC7PA.dpuf"We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord." 2 Corinthians 5:8

R,I.P. Mr. Ray Nagel

"We
http://www.truthaboutdeath.com/q-and-a/id/1601/doesnt-paul-say-that-to-be-absent-from-the-body-is-to-be-present-with-the-lord#sthash.Ht5jC7PA.dpuf
"We

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT