ADVERTISEMENT

Real Woods to the Hawks!!

There is no way Iowa paid him $200,000 to wrestle for them, not to mention I'm pretty positive they couldn't do that even under the new NIL rules.
"$100K NIL/NLWC" becomes "$200K NIL/HWC"... Hasn't this already been discussed ad nauseum? Only the amount and club name changed, so what's really new? There's no new ground to be covered. It's still all rumor and any NIL contract will remain private. Just read existing threads and replace PSU with Iowa, NLWC with HWC, and $100K with $200K.

Which was worse for this board's image: a) the exchange to which you reference b) the use of a 4chan-esque Pepe the Frig image out of nowhere?

It's a close call for me. I feel dumber, regardless.
I’m sure that posting of Pepe was an axi-dent. Dang Auto-gif.

I have zero clue on Mineo’s reporting of money. Schools can not give out NIL deals. But under the current landscape there is nothing stopping a school or coach going to a booster and asking them to put up NIL money for a transfer/ prospect. Then the booster says “come to my school and I’ll give you x amount of money for sponsorship of blank.” This is happening all across the country now. Including in Iowa athletics.

They have a thread that constantly discusses Iowa and most of their other ones end up going there too. Not to mention the cockroaches scurrying over here all the time. There are maybe 4 or so Iowa fans that post there regularly and they are much more decent than their people here. If our moderator enforcement was like theirs they would all be off of here.
That's what I have an issue with, MVPFan. I find that "most" of our guys that post on PSU's boards are very respectful of the PSU fan base and very respectful in the posts they submit on their boards. And yes, I like going there from time to time to talk wrestling (or fishing). And I find that most of the PSU fans over there are very respectful to those of us who post on their boards. And I must say there a quite a few PSU fans that post here from time to time with whom I enjoy discussing wrestling (or fishing). Yet I'm always baffled by some of the PSU faithful that come over here simply to insult and/or engage in other than meaningful discussions. And I hate it for the PSU fan base because for the most part they're just like most of our guys...good guys wanting to talk about their respective wrestling programs. I guess there are always going to be a few idiots on both sides of the fence. They have theirs and we clearly have some of our own.

All of that said, I love Hawks wrestling and college wrestling so if it takes some healthy bantering and BSing to increase the wrestling fan base I'm all for it. But for it to remain healthy the idiots need to get off these boards and go find the nearest busy interstates to play on (just kidding!!) :)

Woods is good enough to win the title. This is a huge pick-up. For all of the characters talking about hawk fans being hypocritical regarding recruiting over guys--you are really reaching. Beard was an all American and PSU brought in someone over the top of a returning, young, All American. It worked out. Beard stayed or is staying, but he was tough in the line-up and there are not many programs that would take that step. Our 141 graduated last year. We just landed a returning All-American. Very different circumstance.
(1) Bringing in a top-level guy when you have an established AA at the weight = immoral.

(2) Bringing in a top-level guy when you have a touted recruit with AA potential about to take his first stab at it = just fine.

Just want to be sure I’m getting the details right as we work toward establishing the thresholds for immoral coaching behavior.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
(1) Bringing in a top-level guy when you have an established AA at the weight = immoral.

(2) Bringing in a top-level guy when you have a touted recruit with AA potential about to take his first stab at it = just fine.

Just want to be sure I’m getting the details right as we work toward establishing the thresholds for immoral coaching behavior.
You’re wearing out your welcome.

#Free55onBWI

If Spencer is back it’s uphill not a mountain, JMO.
Would love to be wrong on this one, obviously, but I think we have too many question marks/young guys next year to get where we'd like our boys to be. SPencer back is huge, obviously, because we're talking like 25-30 points. 133 is going to be a step backward, and that's no shot at our guys, but Desanto was special. Woods will be a big step up from what Eierman was able to do last year when injured, and is one of a couple of title favorites. Lets assume he wins and gets us 23 points.

After that we could have Warner and Cass both win it, though I think Warner is a bit of a long-shot due to limited offense and Cass...well lets just hope Mason Parris is on the other side. I think, healthy, he beats Kerk or Schultz. So, lets assume 40 points from those guys. Even in that wonderful scenario, we're still short of what Penn State is returning, and all their guys are heavy favorites to repeat (except Dean).

Then they're going to have RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean, and Kerk as title threats, with RBY, Star, and Brooks strong favorites to repeat. Lets give them 22 a piece (short of where they were last year) and the same 40 points I gave Warner and Cass.

So we're already at a deficit. We'd need Max to break thru (something I truly believe he can do, and maybe the thing I'm rooting for most after Spencer's 4th), or Kennedy to be an immediate title threat (hasn't shown that as of yet, but the talent is there), or Assad to jump levels, or 133 to hit (possible, but again very likely to be a set back even if they wrestle well), or Nelson Brands to jump levels...plus hope none of their young guys can hit or jump levels. I'm not super high on Howard or Bartlett or even Facundo after a somewhat meh redshirt year., but Van Ness might be a dude in his first year. I think just too many questions, but I very much hope I'm eating crow and you're right next year.

EDIT: Just saw that I misread your post, you said it was uphill but not a mountain. I thought you had said something else, so it appears we're just debating semantics on that issue, my bad.

Last edited:
Would love to be wrong on this one, obviously, but I think we have too many question marks/young guys next year to get where we'd like our boys to be. SPencer back is huge, obviously, because we're talking like 25-30 points. 133 is going to be a step backward, and that's no shot at our guys, but Desanto was special. Woods will be a big step up from what Eierman was able to do last year when injured, and is one of a couple of title favorites. Lets assume he wins and gets us 23 points.

After that we could have Warner and Cass both win it, though I think Warner is a bit of a long-shot due to limited offense and Cass...well lets just hope Mason Parris is on the other side. I think, healthy, he beats Kerk or Schultz. So, lets assume 40 points from those guys. Even in that wonderful scenario, we're still short of what Penn State is returning, and all their guys are heavy favorites to repeat (except Dean).

Then they're going to have RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean, and Kerk as title threats, with RBY, Star, and Brooks strong favorites to repeat. Lets give them 22 a piece (short of where they were last year) and the same 40 points I gave Warner and Cass.

So we're already at a deficit. We'd need Max to break thru (something I truly believe he can do, and maybe the thing I'm rooting for most after Spencer's 4th), or Kennedy to be an immediate title threat (hasn't shown that as of yet, but the talent is there), or Assad to jump levels, or 133 to hit (possible, but again very likely to be a set back even if they wrestle well), or Nelson Brands to jump levels...plus hope none of their young guys can hit or jump levels. I'm not super high on Howard or Bartlett or even Facundo after a somewhat meh redshirt year., but Van Ness might be a dude in his first year. I think just too many questions, but I very much hope I'm eating crow and you're right next year.
Way too many variables to fret much over an analysis now. Transfers, injuries, and mysterious departures from expected norms have plenty of room left to run.

Then the booster says “come to my school and I’ll give you x amount of money for sponsorship of blank.” This is happening all across the country now. Including in Iowa athletics.
You're right that this may indeed be (almost certainly is) happening in some cases, as it could have been before, but still not legal to say "come to my school and I'll give ya a money deal.......". You have to replace the "come to my school" part with a secret school handshake instead.

Can you place some criteria on 'touted recruit with AA potential'?

Is it a specific P4P ranking? red shirt season results? Fargo results? World team member?
or is it 'people on a message board have their team glasses on and expect great things'

It helps when you are discussing morality on transfer decisions.

Yeah, you're just an anonymous poster calling out a 19 year old for his lifestyle, whatever that means. It's not like Wyatt is going to jump on here and defend himself to you. If you're truly a Hawk fan, and you observed/heard something negative about a wrestler on the team, why even hint at it here? Let the coaches' handle it. Don't shit where you eat. Thing's like that are just better left unsaid.
Not calling out a 19 year old kid at all. If I’m hearing about it you can be dang sure Brands has.

Reactions: Gobblin
Thoughts on 174?
Honestly I’m not nearly as high on Nelson as a lot of people here. He needs consistent leg attacks. He pushes and pushes too much. Maybe that was bc at 84 he didn’t wanna get underneath bigger guys. But I think he’s currently a R12 type.

Reactions: MVPFAN
I still want to see Swafford against an AA quality guy.

Not opposed to this. Swafford didn't do anything last year to demonstrate that he would be an improvement over Nelson. However, he seems to open up more and go for broke in comparison to Brands. May in fact be more enjoyable from a fan perspective.

Reactions: MilleGinja
Not opposed to this. Swafford didn't do anything last year to demonstrate that he would be an improvement over Nelson. However, he seems to open up more and go for broke in comparison to Brands. May in fact be more enjoyable from a fan perspective.
I think a 2-1 win is more enjoyable than a 15-10 loss. And I do love kids like Swafford who let it fly, no question. But you gotta win when that happens as well.

The NCAA doesn't reward style points. Just win baby.

Reactions: pumpdog20
From my POV from afar, I'm more confident in a healthy Nelson than Assad to succeed.
What gives you that confidence? For the few good wins there is the pushing, hand fighting, limited offense matches. I hope full feed and good health will help.

Reactions: MVPFAN
I know I have been very optimistic on Nelson’s behalf, but I do feel like this will be his breakout year. I believe he has the it factor, some here have been talking about athleticism and NB has it along with power, if he gains more confidence and focus then the podium is within his grasp this season.

Didn’t know I had to break it that far down for you. Maybe I should type slower. Let me rephrase, if you’re pissed PSU recruits over, be pissed now. Is that better?
Oh for F sake, whether intentional or not you’re completely missing his point. Very simply put - he loves the Hawks and hates PSU, and probably any other team that gets in their way. Save the self righteous hypocrite argument for someone else.

Reactions: Inthecircle
Warms my heart to see you boys all playing nicely
giphy.gif

EDIT: Just saw that I misread your post, you said it was uphill but not a mountain. I thought you had said something else, so it appears we're just debating semantics on that issue, my bad.
It seems pretty clear that RBY is no better than 50/50 to come back to PSU as of this time. His question to PSU fans — and I think by reasonable extension to others — about how a 3rd title sounds like fishing for NIL. What additional amount he’d need from a source outside PSU to return to a different team isn’t clear. He may be in a position to have “true” NIL that’s independent of school affiliation, at least more so than many other wrestlers, so how that figures in makes it a little different.

@IAChief32, you hearing anything?

Last edited:
It seems pretty clear that RBY is no better than 50/50 to come back to PSU as of this time. His question to PSU fans — and I think by reasonable extension to others — about how a 3rd title sounds like fishing for NIL. What additional amount he’d need from a source outside PSU to return to a different team isn’t clear. He may in a position to have “true” NIL that’s independent of school affiliation, at least more so than many other wrestlers, so how that figures in makes it a little different.

@IAChief32, you hearing anything?

I could for sure see him on the Suriano plan...take the next semester off and sign up for the second semester. Doubt he would go full "have gun will travel." The $$ would have to be real good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT