ADVERTISEMENT

Realism

Edit: Wolff started where I thought he should (for who he is) looks like he didn't filibuster. Gonna watch after playoff game

Last edited:
That guy said a lot of things in 52 minutes and still did not manage to string together a coherent argument.

He also had some high praise for China and for BRICS.

I’ll file this away under “WTF nonsense.”
He wasn't arguing. He was explaining.

I thought a number of things he said are worth paying attention to. That BRICS has more wealth than the G7 was not something I knew. And that pressures in Turkey might shift it into the BRICS orbit is a bit scary.

More realism. This time about ship building. Where we are falling way behind China and several other nations (Japan, South Korea, and others). Both commercial and war ships.

We still have more carriers and better subs, but the gap is closing and we are stalling in the water.

He wasn't arguing. He was explaining.

I thought a number of things he said are worth paying attention to. That BRICS has more wealth than the G7 was not something I knew. And that pressures in Turkey might shift it into the BRICS orbit is a bit scary.
He lost me. BRICS does not have more wealth.

Turkey stands to gain the most of Russia’s failures so joining BRICS makes sense? BRICS is not worth the memo pad a paper it’s logo is printed on.

That man literally knows jack. But he’s in academia dealing in psychology so nothing what he said shocked me.

First things first. How do you want to define wealth?
GDP should be good enough for HROT. I don't love the measure but it's a reasonable ballparking approach.

I shared your feeling when I heard Wolff say it but then I realized that the G7 are rich, but not large. The US is easily the single wealthiest nation, but the rest of the G7 are dwarfs by comparison.

GDP should be good enough for HROT. I don't love the measure but it's a reasonable ballparking approach.

I shared your feeling when I heard Wolff say it but then I realized that the G7 are rich, but not large. The US is easily the single wealthiest nation, but the rest of the G7 are dwarfs by comparison.
Likewise with China compared to the rest of BRICS. And their growth is slowing if not regressing soon. BRICS will go however China goes and that is going to be…..declining.

I disagree GDP is the best measurement of wealth but I’ll oblige you.

Oct 2023 - G7 GDP 50% greater than BRICS

GDP per capita - G7 blows away BRICS

Likewise with China compared to the rest of BRICS. And their growth is slowing if not regressing soon. BRICS will go however China goes and that is going to be…..declining.

I disagree GDP is the best measurement of wealth but I’ll oblige you.

Oct 2023 - G7 GDP 50% greater than BRICS

GDP per capita - G7 blows away BRICS
Your chart looks about right. Not that I would know. OTOH, absent a war in the region (which may be looming), India figures to move into 3rd place internationally in a few years (it's economy is growing at 7%). Moreover, unless things change, China is growing faster than the US (5% vs 2%). Adding Turkey, which Wolff warns we should not let happen, would bump the BRICS up a smidgen more.

I don't think it really matters whether Wolff is correct now or 5 years from now. The BRICs pose a problem for us.

I wasn't saying GDP is the best measurement, by the way. Just thinking that everybody uses it and it's convenient. It definitely needs to be adjusted for pricing parity and probably other things. But if we do that, those adjustments probably make Wolff's claim correct.

Here's another chart that illustrates my point about US and dwarfs. Whereas BRICs has China and India with their faster growth rates, as already mentioned.

g7.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT