ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Tidbit

GoldHawk

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2001
Just got back from attending the Kansas 4A Div. I State football championship. Bishop Miege won their 3rd straight championship. I went to watch Hawk commit SS Kjimon Colbert and recruit WR Jafar Armstrong. Colbert played well and had one interception, but he really didn't stand out a great deal as Miege has a good team around him. They won the game 53 - 21, and two of the scores for Buhler were against Miege 2nd team players. Decent speed, but not a burner, and didn't impress me with any particular hard hits. Only one game, so hard to gauge. He is well put together. Physically he looks like he could play DI right now.

Armstrong had a really good game. He had 3 TD receptions that I saw and easily over 100 yards in receptions. Again, good speed, but didn't blow people away. Like Colbert, he is physically well put together. Strong enough to hold off defenders while hauling in passes. Good hands, as I didn't see a dropped pass that came his way. Like Colbert on defense, he has a lot of good players around him. Anyone familiar with Miege, as a Catholic school they recruit the whole KC area for players. Their only loss this year was their opener to Blue Valley, which was playing in the 6A championship today. Only down side I saw on Armstrong is that he definitely took plays off when the play went away from him. When a running play came his way, his blocking was average at best. Not surprising for a HS player. But overall I liked him quite a bit and would certainly be happy if he became a Hawk.

I used to work for the complex hosting the championship, so I was in the press box for the game. Turns out Armstrong's Dad was in the hospitality room keeping stats for the Miege team. So I got to talk to him a little bit. Good guy, and apparently pretty involved with the Miege team. Mostly chit chat, but saw my Iowa gear and said the Hawkeyes were trying to sway his son away from Missouri. I asked if he felt his son was solid with Missouri, and he said he definitely was. Said they actually live in Missouri. So not what I really wanted to hear, but I left it at that. He camped at Iowa so he is somewhat familiar with the school and campus. I guess the key will be if we can get him to take a visit. He must have said he was willing to listen, or I assume Iowa wouldn't have extended the scholarship offer. That's it, but thought it was worth sharing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News