ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

You don’t go from special teams to head coach … I like Woods. But being a position coach is much, much different than leading an entire program…. at a minimum - he would need experience as an OC or DC …
I guess I never understood this must be. DC/OC at minimum to be a head coach.

I think being able to relate to recruits and surrounding yourself with top notch coaches and position coaches is what makes a head coach great. If you have capable leaders and staff what exactly does the HC need to do? Let the OC/DC run the show.

staff created the game plan and they all
agree on it together so why would he need that experience per say if he has great staff around him and because he isn’t implementing either plan why is it required?

I know he has input and final say but I say someone that relates to recruits and can identify great teachers and staff is what I’d want above all from a coach and to be let the coach’s you bring in coach.

You don’t go from special teams to head coach … I like Woods. But being a position coach is much, much different than leading an entire program…. at a minimum - he would need experience as an OC or DC …

I don’t think being an OC/DC should necessarily be a prerequisite to becoming a HC. Certainly is the norm, but shouldn’t prevent you from hiring someone if you truly believe in them. Head coach duties are much different than OC/DC.

Dabo Swinney was never an OC before he became head coach. Pat Fitzgerald was never a DC before becoming head coach.

For CEO-type head coaches, the difference between success and failure is less about your personal X’s and O’s and is more about the ability to coalesce talent around you. From everything I’ve heard, Woods has a magnetic personality and is extremely passionate. If Goetz thinks Woods has the leadership qualities to be a great head coach, I don’t think him not having experience as a DC should prevent him from being hired.

With that said, if there is an internal hire, Kirk seems to think it should be Seth Wallace given Wallace’s promotion to assistant head coach. Last summer Leistikow and others hinted that Wallace may be out the door after 2023 to be a DC or HC elsewhere. He stayed and was made AHC. I’d have to imagine he has a pretty good chance to be Iowa’s next HC if Kirk retires after this season. Wallace as HC is also likely the best chance Iowa has of getting Phil to stay on for 4-5 years after Kirk retires.

Reactions: unclesammy
Yeah I tend to check up on little brother and make sure they understand their place in the conference.

I'm sure you guys will make the playoffs with that daunting schedule. I mean just look at that out of conference schedule. And then you turn around and only have to play OSU for your tough conference game (not that it's hard to beat em). That's super impressive winning 10 games tho! Just try not to embarrass our conference and at least score a point in the playoffs 😜
We promise not to embarrass the conference the way you have. No sign-stealing unauthorized visits, no slumber parties, and no lying to the NCAA. Pinky-swear.

Reactions: Bloody Run Hawk
Omg. You are one insecure dude.🤣🤣🤣
Haha...please explain how I'm an insecure dude? What could you possibly gather from an anonymous Iowa sports forum that would lead you to that conclusion. 😅 It is ironic that you are trying to call me out with that user handle name. Talk about being insecure 🤣🤣

We promise not to embarrass the conference the way you have. No sign-stealing unauthorized visits, no slumber parties, and no lying to the NCAA. Pinky-swear.
Just make sure you guys don't discriminate against a particular type of student athlete. Would hate to see another successful assistant at Iowa take the fall for KKKurt. Every team has their skeletons, should just stay in your lane next time.

Just make sure you guys don't discriminate against a particular type of student athlete. Would hate to see another successful assistant at Iowa take the fall for KKKurt. Every team has their skeletons, should just stay in your lane next time.
Look it is Iowa State fan!

• Haha
Reactions: WhatsIt2Ya
Yeah I tend to check up on little brother and make sure they understand their place in the conference.

I'm sure you guys will make the playoffs with that daunting schedule. I mean just look at that out of conference schedule. And then you turn around and only have to play OSU for your tough conference game (not that it's hard to beat em). That's super impressive winning 10 games tho! Just try not to embarrass our conference and at least score a point in the playoffs 😜
Wow, what a moronic post. You michigan turds are sure full of your selves. Any schedule that includes Ohio State, Washington and UCLA in addition to good Iowa State, Wisconsin , Nebraska and Maryland teams is far from an easy schedule. I think you guys get knocked down quite a few pegs this season.

Wow, what a moronic post. You michigan turds are sure full of your selves. Any schedule that includes Ohio State, Washington and UCLA in addition to good Iowa State, Wisconsin , Nebraska and Maryland teams is far from an easy schedule. I think you guys get knocked down quite a few pegs this season.
Just tell them Bo knew and covered up child rape, and in this case it was his own kid. That is the foundation of Michigan football.

Having personally spoken to several parents, ALL said their kids were stunned by the allegations. One put it bluntly: "I've lived with racism all my life. Kirk Ferentz is not a racist".

That's more people than have ever said, " Jim Harbaugh is not a cheater".

This is my assumption as well. It can happen, but it rarely happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT