ADVERTISEMENT

Red tide and algae blooms dog Rick Scott in Florida.

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Florida's all important tourism industry is being hit hard by environmental issues. Rick Scott has an interesting response, it's the fault of the federal government. The Feds are failing to control pollution that is produced in Florida, and is poisoning the waters in and around Florida.
If you bother to read the article you will be rewarded with a picture of what I assume Trad looks like.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/scott-florida-red-tide_us_5b9828b6e4b0511db3e6e2d8

This is what 'no regulation' brings you:

Externalized costs, distanced from the source in both location and time. Resulting in massive losses to those not responsible for the problem. And no simple "soundbites" to actually address the issue, just to deflect responsibility.

And the masses lap.it.up.

Red Tide was reported as early as the late 1800's. It's a natural condition that will continue to happen no matter what we do. It's no one's fault.

Red Tide was reported as early as the late 1800's. It's a natural condition that will continue to happen no matter what we do. It's no one's fault.
This is the worst it’s been in a very long time, if ever. I’m up here in St Pete, it usually never gets up this far, but it’s here.

41517282_10216794357560341_4618987067693596672_n.jpg

This is what 'no regulation' brings you:

Externalized costs, distanced from the source in both location and time. Resulting in massive losses to those not responsible for the problem. And no simple "soundbites" to actually address the issue, just to deflect responsibility.

And the masses lap.it.up.

Red tides have been documented in the Gulf of Mexico since the early 1800s. What were they not regulating back then to cause them?

You all are just jealous that we are living the dream.
636028248777601130-Lake-Okeechobee.jpg

20160708_met_lake_o_flyover_jrf_025.jpg

694940094001_5822022707001_5822020396001-vs.jpg

Pictures can’t convey how bad it smells.

Simpler:

"Oil has seeped up thru the ground at the La Brea Tar Pits for thousands of years. Why does it matter that 200,000 barrels of oil spilled out of some North Dakota pipeline?"

Does nothing to address my comment. I've lived in Florida since '97. There's been a Red Tide just about every year. It's a naturally occurring phenomena. However, because it occurs in an election year, you think you can somehow blame this year's red tide on a few specific people. That's a level of retardation that few have tried to achieve.

Simpler:

"Oil has seeped up thru the ground at the La Brea Tar Pits for thousands of years. Why does it matter that 200,000 barrels of oil spilled out of some North Dakota pipeline?"
Actually oil naturally bubbles up from the Gulf of Mexico and the Arabian Gulf. What’s your point?

Does nothing to address my comment. I've lived in Florida since '97. There's been a Red Tide just about every year. It's a naturally occurring phenomena.
I know....the La Brea Tar pits are also a 'naturally occurring phenomenon'.

But that doesn't mean when oil shows up in North Dakota, we shouldn't attribute it to a man-made oil spill...

Actually oil naturally bubbles up from the Gulf of Mexico and the Arabian Gulf. What’s your point?

Sure does. But infrequently, and in small amounts.

Very very different from major oil leaks like Deepwater Horizon.

The average person would smart enough to understand the differences here. But, we knew you were on the lower end of the IQ scale based on your posting history.

Reactions: artradley

Oh...so when you said, "This is what no regulation brings you" you were spreading that blame across both parties? My bad. I didn't know there were people on here who looked at Dems as the anti-regulation folks. My bad. You must be the only one.

Oh...so when you said, "This is what no regulation brings you" you were spreading that blame across both parties? My bad. I didn't know there were people on here who looked at Dems as the anti-regulation folks. My bad. You must be the only one.

So...you're incapable of connecting the dots from a party position that eliminates "regulations" and "environmental safeguards" on nutrient runoff, and subsequent red tide blooms along coasts, where that runoff fuels the tides well beyond historical precedent.

I'm "blaming" poor environmental regulation. If the GOP is behind gutting those regulations, then I'm not sure why you WOULDN'T hold them accountable. But, you live there. It's your vote. If you think more runoff and higher red tide bloom/frequency is good for your state, then vote for lax regulations.

The average person would smart enough to understand the differences here. But, we knew you were on the lower end of the IQ scale based on your posting history.

"Lower end" is generous. He's the end.

Reactions: Joes Place

Have you sailed through the Arabian Gulf? It's all over the place. It's not infrequent at all.

Have you sailed through the Arabian Gulf? It's all over the place. It's not infrequent at all.

Simpler: "Did you know oil leaks up thru the soil at the La Brea Tar Pits, and in deep water in the Gulf of Mexico? It's not infrequent at all, so a giant puddle of oil in North Dakota is just no big deal"

You all are just jealous that we are living the dream.
636028248777601130-Lake-Okeechobee.jpg

20160708_met_lake_o_flyover_jrf_025.jpg

694940094001_5822022707001_5822020396001-vs.jpg

Pictures can’t convey how bad it smells.
It’s kind of pretty in a froggy sort of way. I was expecting a different color. Why is it called red tide? Is it an Alabama thing?

Does nothing to address my comment. I've lived in Florida since '97. There's been a Red Tide just about every year. It's a naturally occurring phenomena. However, because it occurs in an election year, you think you can somehow blame this year's red tide on a few specific people. That's a level of retardation that few have tried to achieve.
You must really be pissed at Scott for blaming the federals for this.

Florida is a state like N Carolina that passed a law making climate change prep illegal. Now both states are getting screwed. That’s the sort of cosmic justice that might make me rethink my belief in gods.

Red tide existed LONG before Rick Scott was elected to office.
Listen.
Be skeptical.
Learn.
Grow up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT