ADVERTISEMENT

Referee Pay Big Ten

Fieldhouseman

HR All-State
Oct 14, 2018
The going rate for basketball refs ranges from $1,000 to $2,500, plus travel and food expenses.

Other publications have the average Big Ten Referee doing 50 games in a 5 month period at $2000.00 per game

Wow $100,000.00

What do you guys think about this ?

Reactions: 4IUSox2
The going rate for basketball refs ranges from $1,000 to $2,500, plus travel and food expenses.

Other publications have the average Big Ten Referee doing 50 games in a 5 month period at $2000.00 per game

Wow $100,000.00

What do you guys think about this ?

@Franisdaman started a thread about this last year (I think) and had some good conversation in it.

I will see if I can find it and link it.

Also...do you realize you linked an article from 2011?

$100,000 + food and travel to have people hate your guts for five months out of the year?

In.
Well for what's it's worth the people that are actually good at their jobs are the ones you don't know and don't hate. The ones that keep their bias out of it and don't make themselves the center of attention make a great living.

DJ Carstenson (sp?) is a great example. He's been in a game or two where he stood out in a negative way (Nebraska last year) but for the most part im guessing casual fans have no idea who he is.

On the flip side you have Ted Valentine. Who's a guy that literally everyone can rightfully say hates their team. Well except if you root for Michigan State I guess...

Well for what's it's worth the people that are actually good at their jobs are the ones you don't know and don't hate. The ones that keep their bias out of it and don't make themselves the center of attention make a great living.

DJ Carstenson (sp?) is a great example. He's been in a game or two where he stood out in a negative way (Nebraska last year) but for the most part im guessing casual fans have no idea who he is.

On the flip side you have Ted Valentine. Who's a guy that literally everyone can rightfully say hates their team. Well except if you root for Michigan State I guess...
I probably wouldn’t have the personality of a Boroski or Valentine, but would absolutely be a makeup call extraordinaire who panders to the excitement of the home crowd. Would not be liked

DJ was brought up in that last thread and I agree, he’s a good one. IIRC, Legend played ball with his family.

Here’s a pretty good Q and A with Carstensen. Talks about his dad working for the ACT and his uncle playing ball with Downtown Freddie Brown.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw2iiQApbAPTQk5BWyR--45m&ust=1547698891526761

I can actually name some refs I think are good.

Bill Ek
Kelly Pfeiffer
Terry Wymer
Carstensen
Eades
There are two refs named Eades, Mike and Tom. The last name may be spelled differently and I understand they are not related. Which one are you referring to?

Reffing is a tough job and I’m guessing that their combined salaries/expenses aren’t hurting the conference financially. Have just a bit of insight into this, but from what I hear, they are all good guys who take their job seriously and realize they aren’t perfect with every call.

I'm young (in college) and I ref high school games, as well as ump baseball. I love it. I think these guys deserve this type of pay. If they don't have any skin in the game they have less reason to work and call a clean game. However, I wish basketball would have conference refs like they do for football.

Yeah I don't really care at all that they are paid well. In fact, if they are really good they are worth it to make the game go well. The ones that make it to Power 5 games are the best of the best. They get evaluated every single game and if they are bad at their job they won't have it anymore.

Yeah I don't really care at all that they are paid well. In fact, if they are really good they are worth it to make the game go well. The ones that make it to Power 5 games are the best of the best. They get evaluated every single game and if they are bad at their job they won't have it anymore.
That’s not necessarily true. Once you’re in, you’re in. Teddy Valentine is the best example of this.

I hate DJ reffing our games, but then again I'm not a casual fan. He's extremely tall and has a big bald head so he's easy to spot from a distance. He tends to do too much of the I'm not going to call a foul but I will sternly talk to the players so they don't do it again stuff for my taste.

I hate DJ reffing our games, but then again I'm not a casual fan. He's extremely tall and has a big bald head so he's easy to spot from a distance. He tends to do too much of the I'm not going to call a foul but I will sternly talk to the players so they don't do it again stuff for my taste.
That’s called good officiating.

Reactions: papabeef
The money is no problem. The refs travel continuously, which gets more exhausting with each passing year I'm sure. They do a very hard job that probably brings few rewards aside from money.

Most people don't know the officials because good officials recede into the background of a game. They might blow some calls because human error is part of sports. However, you cannot track the blown calls from good officials because they are rare and do not follow a pattern.

On the other hand, like very other human endeavor there are dishonest and incompetent officials. I'm terrible with names but good with faces. One of the guys in the Wisconsin game (shorter with a flat top, looks maybe of Hispanic origin but may have an Italian sounding surname) is a guy that stands out as dishonest. His calls follow a pattern and they are almost always against Iowa. If you recall every Iowa run in that game with Bucky was followed by the same official making either picky or just fabricated calls. I've watched the same guy do the same thing for the last several years. His calls have a similar pattern in other games. He's probably a gambler.

The problem is the Big Ten and the larger NCAA don't really do anything about the bad or obviously dishonest officials. I assume that officials don't get much scrutiny for two reasons. First, the natural tendency of all institutions to protect the institution regardless of cost or the preposterous justifications necessary; any admission of such incompetence or dihonesty would ipso facto admit an institutional failing. Think Paterno covering up that scandal. It eventually killed him.

Second, the institutions understand market economics. Iowa's not traditionally a power at anything but wrestling, which is really just a niche sport, and we have a tiny media and apparel market. The status quo works for the Big Ten and the NCAA so why change it? Billions of dollars are at play in big time BBall and football and everyone wants the biggest share available. If Iowa were really dominant there would be a lot of televisions in Ohio and Michigan watching something other than Big Ten ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT