ADVERTISEMENT

Remaining Ranked Opponents

goiahawkeyes

HR MVP
Mar 7, 2014
We put a lot of emphasis on Midlands (obviously since it's the most recent competition) and what seemed to be a pretty up and down / inconsistent tournament, but we need to realize that there is A LOT of wrestling left. Plenty of opportunity to solidify seeds for B1Gs and NCAAs

#3 Iowa Remaining Duals:
#12 Minnesota, #15 Rutgers, #14 Illinois, #8 Northwestern, #7 Nebraska, Maryland, Indiana, #19 Wisconsin, #4 Oklahoma St

125 #2 Lee:
#7 Russell, #14 Piotrowski, #1 Rivera, #15 Moisey, #16 Brown, #4 Piccininni

- Really looking forward to the rematch with Rivera in the dual (if we see it) and at B1Gs. Picc has looked really good this year, interested to see if he's closed the gap or if Lee controls that match again. Going to be an interesting race for the #1 seed at NCAAs.

133 #10 DeSanto:
#8 Lizak, #2 Suriano, #20 Duncan, #6 Fix

- REALLY interested to see how DeSanto stacks up against Suriano and Fix. Going to need to be absolutely perfect to beat either of these two. Confident that he takes care of business in all other matches leading up to B1Gs.

141 #19 Murin:
#7 McKee, #5 Carr, #20 Red, #16 Moran, #11 Brock

- A lot of opportunity to move up the ranks here if he can knock off a McKee or Carr which I think are both winnable matches

149 #8 Lugo:
#20 Thorn, #2 Ashnault, #16 Martin, #12 Gfeller

- Gotta put the hammer down on some of these fringe AA and unranked guys

157 #6 Young:
#9 Bleise, #15 Van Brill, #12 Barone, #2 Deakin, #3 Berger, #20 Shomers

- No nights off for Young. Very tough remaining schedule, but I LOVE the way Young is wrestling and can't wait to watch!

165 #2 Marinelli:
#17 Gunther, #5 White, #3 Wick, #10 Rogers

- Get another look at Wick to really heat up this growing rivalry. Could very possibly be undefeated going into B1Gs. Either way, this guy is a tough SOB that I would hate to wrestle.

174 Bowman:
#17 Skatzka, #13 Sebastian, #9 Labriola, #10 Christensen, #8 Smith

- A lot of great opportunities for us to see what Bowman is at 174. Some very winnable matches if he's going to become a qualifier.

184 #18 Wilcke:
#16 Gravina, #2 Parker, #4 Venz, #11 Smith

- Not going to be easy, if he wrestles "strategically", but if he lets it fly, he could be a top 10 guy

197 #5 Warner:
#13 Shultz, #7 Geer

- Not the most difficult remaining road for Warner. Still not going to be easy for a freshman who appears to have some troubles on bottom. Be the aggressor and he'll be just fine

HWT #2 Stoll:
#4 Steveson, #14 Jensen, #6 Hemida, #9 Hillger, #5 White

- TOUGH remaining schedule. This is likely why we haven't seen a lot from Stoll to date. Going to need him as healthy as possible for this final stretch.

Great post, I always like seeing our upcoming competition broken down like this. I’m extremely excited to see how Young fares with the different guys he has coming up. I have a feeling this next stretch will really show us what Kaleb Young at 157 will be like.

I’m also excited to see how Bowman continues to adjust to 174. I don’t think he’s going to be a world beater but if he can handle the weight I could see him being a qualifier who can pull tothether a few W’s at nationals. He’s going to have to adjust to the weight though.

I also don’t think Stoll will wrestle more than half those matches. I would like to see him face a lot of those guys but for him I think the coaching staff is just gonna try to get him to the tourney. He’s had some big injuries in the past, he’s still recovering it seems like, and I think they will be pretty cautious with him. I predict he will probably only wrestle about half the matches until Big 10’s. Who knows I could be way off and Sam could be a wrecking crew wiping out everyone left on the schedule but that’s just the feeling I’m getting.

Solid stuff. Thanks for posting. A few random thoughts after looking at this:

I hope Lee can get use the next couple matches against Russell and Piotrowski to iron out his timing on the feet and get some mat time. They are two solid enough guys but he could tech them with tilts in the 1st if he wants to. I think it would pay dividends if he works strictly on takedowns for the first couple periods before going to work on top.

Young has some battles coming up. I think he will keep the hot streak going. Berger will be a very interesting one.

If Warner can get healthy and get his strength back then he won’t lose another match during the regular season.

Solid stuff. Thanks for posting. A few random thoughts after looking at this:

I hope Lee can get use the next couple matches against Russell and Piotrowski to iron out his timing on the feet and get some mat time. They are two solid enough guys but he could tech them with tilts in the 1st if he wants to. I think it would pay dividends if he works strictly on takedowns for the first couple periods before going to work on top.

Young has some battles coming up. I think he will keep the hot streak going. Berger will be a very interesting one.

If Warner can get healthy and get his strength back then he won’t lose another match during the regular season.

I was thinking of this this morning, forgot to add it to my post. I think it'd be beneficial for Lee to work on his neutral game. Don't just go for the tilts right away...play a little cat and mouse. Work on takedowns and get your lungs/legs ready for post season.

Totally agree with Lee going the entire period, needs to build stamina. Would not surprise me if he doesnt wrestle agaimst NW.
Same with Stoll. Maybe a couple matches here and there but just dont see it until big tens.
Theres work to be done by our staff, we're going to see if they have the same success as last year.

Totally agree with Lee going the entire period, needs to build stamina. Would not surprise me if he doesnt wrestle agaimst NW.
Same with Stoll. Maybe a couple matches here and there but just dont see it until big tens.
Theres work to be done by our staff, we're going to see if they have the same success as last year.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Rivera that didn't wrestle in the dual. He already has the win this season, and might not want to give Lee another feel until they meet at B1Gs. My opinion is that Lee absolutely wants another crack before tourney time.

We put a lot of emphasis on Midlands (obviously since it's the most recent competition) and what seemed to be a pretty up and down / inconsistent tournament, but we need to realize that there is A LOT of wrestling left. Plenty of opportunity to solidify seeds for B1Gs and NCAAs

#3 Iowa Remaining Duals:
#12 Minnesota, #15 Rutgers, #14 Illinois, #8 Northwestern, #7 Nebraska, Maryland, Indiana, #19 Wisconsin, #4 Oklahoma St

125 #2 Lee:

- Really looking forward to the rematch with Rivera in the dual (if we see it) and at B1Gs. Picc has looked really good this year, interested to see if he's closed the gap or if Lee controls that match again. Going to be an interesting race for the #1 seed at NCAAs.

133 #10 DeSanto:

- REALLY interested to see how DeSanto stacks up against Suriano and Fix. Going to need to be absolutely perfect to beat either of these two. Confident that he takes care of business in all other matches leading up to B1Gs.

141 #19 Murin:

- A lot of opportunity to move up the ranks here if he can knock off a McKee or Carr which I think are both winnable matches

149 #8 Lugo:

157 #6 Young:

- No nights off for Young. Very tough remaining schedule, but I LOVE the way Young is wrestling and can't wait to watch!

165 #2 Marinelli:

- Get another look at Wick to really heat up this growing rivalry. Could very possibly be undefeated going into B1Gs. Either way, this guy is a tough SOB that I would hate to wrestle.

174 Bowman:

- A lot of great opportunities for us to see what Bowman is at 174. Some very winnable matches if he's going to become a qualifier.

184 #18 Wilcke:

- Not going to be easy, if he wrestles "strategically", but if he lets it fly, he could be a top 10 guy

197 #5 Warner:
#13 Shultz, #7 Geer

- Not the most difficult remaining road for Warner. Still not going to be easy for a freshman who appears to have some troubles on bottom. Be the aggressor and he'll be just fine

HWT #2 Stoll:

- TOUGH remaining schedule. This is likely why we haven't seen a lot from Stoll to date. Going to need him as healthy as possible for this final stretch.

#3 Iowa Remaining Duals:

125 #2 Lee:

133 #10 DeSanto:

141 #19 Murin:

149 #8 Lugo:

157 #6 Young:

165 #2 Marinelli:

174 Bowman:

184 #18 Wilcke:

197 #5 Warner:
#13 Shultz, #7 Geer

HWT #2 Stoll:

Great Job

Reactions: goiahawkeyes
If they are seeding everyone this year it is very important that Wilcke, Murin and Bowman get to at least a 10-12 seed. The 10 seed gets you the 23 in the 1st round. Odds are a lot better for not only a win but the possibility of bonus. A lot less luck of the draw this year which is good if you take care of business during the regular season.

If they are seeding everyone this year it is very important that Wilcke, Murin and Bowman get to at least a 10-12 seed. The 10 seed gets you the 23 in the 1st round. Odds are a lot better for not only a win but the possibility of bonus. A lot less luck of the draw this year which is good if you take care of business during the regular season.
Completely forgot they were seeding ALL now. Still wish they’d do away with the pigtail, or make the first match be 32 vs33 and single elimination for that one match.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT