ADVERTISEMENT

Remember James Daniels' letter to Hawkeye Nation declaring he was leaving early for the NFL?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VIEW

EZyg7EQWoAAriG8

Last edited:
I try to live my life "judging" each individual person based on how they have acted and treated me and others in the past, and how they are acting currently. When those two things conflict, it naturally makes me slightly leery of that person.
I'm not saying I blindly support Doyle or any of the rest of the staff, and that James can't be grateful for what they did while also having had "issues" with some of how he was treated, but if someone hurt/offended me as badly as James has been claiming to have been hurt/offended, I'm pretty sure I simply don't even bring them up on my "on the way out the door" statement.
Wishing the best for all involved and we can clear up this national and local poop show soon.

James Daniels contradictions are glaring. It is obvious that he coach with the most to do with James success is BF, but he really seems to have a huge issue with him. I will be curious to see how James career unfolds moving forward. He may be going through some sort of personal issues and needs someone to lash out at.

Or is it possible that these farewell letters are written by other people and the player says "yeah, that sounds good" and signs off on it without putting any thought into it because they don't care and will be making millions in a few months?
So your defense of the contradiction is that James had nothing to do with any of his prior statements? How about we actually hold him accountable for things he has put his name too. Radical idea?

So your defense of the contradiction is that James had nothing to do with any of his prior statements? How about we actually hold him accountable for things he has put his name too. Radical idea?

I'm not excusing him of anything. I simply asked a question to provoke thought that might explain the contradictions.

Reactions: hawkbirch
It is a little weird he singled out Doyle in the letter. On the other hand it wouldn't be very wise to show a bad relationship with your college coaching staff when you're trying to get drafted as high as possible by the NFL.

Right, but why say anything at all?

It is a little weird he singled out Doyle in the letter. On the other hand it wouldn't be very wise to show a bad relationship with your college coaching staff when you're trying to get drafted as high as possible by the NFL.
Players don't need to write such letters anyways.

Declare for the draft and be on your way. Don't construct such statements and then some months later go back on all of it.

This, especially with James, is horse sh*t.

James definitely has a H.O. for the Hawkeyes. I always thought it was weird that he gave credit to his High School during the starting lineups of NFL games instead of Iowa. Got to love these repressed multi-millionaires!

James has said in his Twitter statements that he wants to see change. He said he loves Iowa. He credited Doyle just a few days ago.

This idea that someone is all one way or all the other is wrong. He can hate Doyle and believe he says racial comments AND recognize that he pushed him to be better. He can point out problems Iowa has AND love the university.

James definitely has a H.O. for the Hawkeyes. I always thought it was weird that he gave credit to his High School during the starting lineups of NFL games instead of Iowa. Got to love these repressed multi-millionaires!

He literally addressed that on Twitter two days ago. Said he loves Iowa but where he came from was more important. It is what he said years ago.

James has said in his Twitter statements that he wants to see change. He said he loves Iowa. He credited Doyle just a few days ago.

This idea that someone is all one way or all the other is wrong. He can hate Doyle and believe he says racial comments AND recognize that he pushed him to be better. He can point out problems Iowa has AND love the university.
It's sad that a centrist view of the situation like this is so hard for people to take. This started out as a "let's make it better", not a call to burn this shit down. A few not so great things have surfaced, and will need to be looked at more closely, but for the most part, it's been a call to work together to improve the program.

Are none of you married? Do you love your spouses? Or your children? I love my husband dearly and appreciate that my life is better with him in it. That doesn't mean that I don't want to smother him on occasion. There are lots of reasons why I don't say anything and focus on the positives. I don't think this is any different.

It's sad that a centrist view of the situation like this is so hard for people to take. This started out as a "let's make it better", not a call to burn this shit down. A few not so great things have surfaced, and will need to be looked at more closely, but for the most part, it's been a call to work together to improve the program.

that may have been James Daniels’ intent. But as other players hopped aboard, the tone seemed to turn. More stories told, more grievances aired, and with some former players that transferred or quit (who no longer care at all about Iowa) things took a bit more of a turn. Then to top it all off Howe is clearly a leftist lunatic who wants to look woke, so he’s fanning the flames as hard and fast as he can. Sure hope Leistekow, Dochterman, and Morehouse notice the distinctions the fans are making between their approach and that jackoff Howe’s approach.

Well if James loves Iowa and wants to see change then I think it would be a good idea if he took to social media and discussed his accepting a leadership role from KF to make positive change, rounding out the group, fair assessment for all involved, etc. Now is not a time to be silent. Step back up to the plate and discuss what he sees HIS role as being in the process.

If anyone thinks those players themselves write up those leaving early for draft or transfer letters you’ve been fooled.

I’m sure the xfer papers get officially signed after the player publicizes “their” letters.

Maybe this is part of the culture problem and lack of freedom of speech that is upsetting some of the players.

Who is the University’s new SID now that types all those up? Phil Haddy retired a while back.

I actually recall either a tweet or interview from Daniels when he was already a pro in the nfl to the effect that he misses being at iowa. this was i think in the context of players considering early departure to the nfl. imo, his getting from there to here is simply him being carried along in a social current without pausing to consider all ramifications. all said and done, he and the rest are still barely out of college, so i suppose it’s understandable.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
If anyone thinks those players themselves write up those leaving early for draft or transfer letters you’ve been fooled.

I’m sure the xfer papers get officially signed after the player publicizes “their” letters.

Maybe this is part of the culture problem and lack of freedom of speech that is upsetting some of the players.

Who is the University’s new SID now that types all those up? Phil Haddy retired a while back.
Are you making the assumption he's not capable of writing something like this?

So, say what you need to say for your benefit at the time? I don’t agree with it, but could be what is happening now, as well as in the past.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
that may have been James Daniels’ intent. But as other players hopped aboard, the tone seemed to turn. More stories told, more grievances aired, and with some former players that transferred or quit (who no longer care at all about Iowa) things took a bit more of a turn. Then to top it all off Howe is clearly a leftist lunatic who wants to look woke, so he’s fanning the flames as hard and fast as he can. Sure hope Leistekow, Dochterman, and Morehouse notice the distinctions the fans are making between their approach and that jackoff Howe’s approach.
You can leave the "leftist" portion out of your statement, people from all walks of life have axes to grind. It also makes your statement look more of an agenda (like Howe's) when you label things.

So, say what you need to say for your benefit at the time? I don’t agree with it, but could be what is happening now, as well as in the past.

I don't see any problem with it. If you are interviewing for a new job and only have your current job to use as a reference, are you going to raise hell and accuse them all of being racist before going in for your interview? Or are you going to say the right things and try to get them on your side?

He's trying to get drafted. What's he supposed to say. Iowa has racial issues and Doyle's an asshole so I'm going pro? Draft me please.
He didn't need the third paragraph, except for maybe the first sentence re Kirk.

The rest of his letter was fine.

Since he did include the parts about BF and Doyle, and those two are who he's been tweeting about, then he should be called out for it now.

That's on him.

As someone else said, you put your name on it, you own it.

James Daniels contradictions are glaring. It is obvious that he coach with the most to do with James success is BF, but he really seems to have a huge issue with him. I will be curious to see how James career unfolds moving forward. He may be going through some sort of personal issues and needs someone to lash out at.

First off, it was probably go along to get along while there. When he sent the letter out, you think he was going to lash out knowing NFL scouts were paying attention? Who wants to commit millions to a potential trouble maker?

Finally, educate yourself.

First off, it was probably go along to get along while there. When he sent the letter out, you think he was going to lash out knowing NFL scouts were paying attention? Who wants to commit millions to a potential trouble maker?

Finally, educate yourself.

I may or may not agree with what the person said you're responding to, but why is it that SO MANY people nowadays say that if someone expresses a viewpoint that contradicts their's, that person needs to "get educated"?

Reactions: OKCRockHawk
I may or may not agree with what the person said you're responding to, but why is it that SO MANY people nowadays say that if someone expresses a viewpoint that contradicts their's, that person needs to "get educated"?

Because the person I responded to obviously doesn’t know how the game is played. Seriously, why would James Daniels lash out at his former team when announcing his intent to leave early for the draft? The person I responded to was basically claiming he contradicted himself with that letter and his recent statement, and is using that to dismiss what he has to say.

Because the person I responded to obviously doesn’t know how the game is played. Seriously, why would James Daniels lash out at his former team when announcing his intent to leave early for the draft? The person I responded to was basically claiming he contradicted himself with that letter and his recent statement, and is using that to dismiss what he has to say.

Understood, but it does seem a little odd that he singled out CD for thanks. I obviously wasn't there, but if CD was what James says he was, wouldn't most people thank Kirk, teammates and family, and the fans and be done with it?
I agree it seems odd that James mentioned Doyle considering what he is now saying about him. But I also get that he can be grateful for what Doyle did for him in his job while still not appreciating some of the treatment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT