ADVERTISEMENT

New Iowa OC from the NFL?

Drinkin Buddy

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2015
Hiawatha
While we're having fun waiting for the new OC to be brought in, I had a thought that because of the timing perhaps Kirk is looking at the NFL for the next OC.

The only real basis I have for this is the lack of any movement for Iowa on this front from the college ranks, and knowing that new NFL coaching hires (and staff displacements) historically heat up quick and are announced after the Divisional Playoff rounds.

To date in 2024, only a single NFL head coach has been announced - Jerod Mayo, New England - and that was an internal hire.

Kirk has deep roots in the NFL, so his landscapes and pools are very broad. There is a ton of staff coaching talent in the NFL who will be looking very soon, and cannot move until contracts separations are taken care of.

Think of how Harbaugh snagged his DC, Jessie Minter. He went to his brother Jim, asked him for his best non-DC guy to run his defense, and John put Minter forward. Minter was DB coach at Baltimore for four season then took the DC job at Vanderbilt for a single season before Jim plucked him out of there.

Smart hires are neither simple or linear, especially when the college pool is drying up quick and the pro pool is going to fill FAST starting next week. Those college teams who have made all of their coaching moves in quick fashion have absolutely missed out on (potentially) a far richer vein of talent that is about to open up.

JMO

The Saints just fired their OC and they were like 9th in offense.

KF doesnt like to go outside his box though.

KF doesnt like to go outside his box though.

Can't blame the guy.

W75iulGJ-Screen-Shot-2018-04-16-at-11.57.19-AM.png

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
I would guess this is not the case. A. Do we want a position coach from the NFL? B. A NFL OC isn't coming to Iowa.

I would guess this is not the case. A. Do we want a position coach from the NFL? B. A NFL OC isn't coming to Iowa.
Like Minter? Who had 1 year as a DC for Vandy in 2021 (2-10 season) then went to Michigan? Minter was never a coordinator in the NFL. He was a DBs coach.

The NFL is talent rich, and there are only 32 OC positions.

Sometimes guys move over in order to move up, particularly when they've been let go to make room for a new staff. Or I suppose a guy could tell his wife that he won't be working for a while...

"Hey honey, Iowa is offering $1.4 million as an OC but I'm gonna give 'em a hard no. Tell the kids we're on a tight budget."

How about an NFL position coach who was a college OC? Who that is, I have no idea.

I agree with poster who said KF isn't going outside his box. He'll (eventually) hire someone who aligns with his philosophy and who meshes with the current staff and it's culture. Given the amount of time this is taking, it would not surprise me if that hire is someone who is currently on his staff.

Mark Stoops hired Liam Cohen who was the WR/gameplan coach from the Rams after they won the superbowl a few years ago. He wasn’t the official OC. It’s worked out pretty well for UK and Stoops is similar to KF—stubbornly conservative. But he also realized they needed more balance and innovation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT